Blasted these guys into oblivion

silver_yummies

5 year old buck +
Noticed some leaves turning brown on my honey crisp tree in my backyard. Took a closer look and it was covered in jap beetles. Gave them a dose of Imidan tonight to put them to sleep. Never had them before.

Attachments

• 871E7E10-84E6-4C2A-9AB5-0457A4E0166E.jpeg
    871E7E10-84E6-4C2A-9AB5-0457A4E0166E.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 6E8E1BE5-1B3A-4A4A-BE93-13BC410A484D.jpeg
    6E8E1BE5-1B3A-4A4A-BE93-13BC410A484D.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 75
They really are assholes. Great work!!

Japanese Beatles prefer Honeycrisp.

That’s interesting and I’m not doubting that, because I have a Zestar tree right next to it and had no damage from the beetles.

They hit my hazelnuts, cherries and chestnuts every year. I spray for them with sevin when they first show up early June or they will eat almost every leaf off.
Wish those shiny green bastards would target poison ivy and honey locust instead.

Seems at my place plums are their favorite. There were some on my chestnut crab and one other unknown apple. All the rest of the apples they are leaving alone.i just sprayed today also.

I have one dwarf cherry tree and they defoliate that damn thing every single year in 2 days. Even after I spray they are on top of it. They also target my Blondee apple tree over all others. It’s 13’+ so it can handle it, but I still hate to see any tree get set back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did that to bag worms the other day. Eating my giant green thuja’s. Which are not supposed to get bag worms.

That’s the first apple tree they hit in my yard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Japanese Beatles have been bad at my place, normally they hit up my apples and raspberries, this year they've moved into my prairie targeting New England Aster, Evening Primrose, and Showy Tree Tickfoil.

Imidam works ok for me, that's what I normally spray my apples with. The old formulation of Sevin (carbaryl) really knocks them dead, I just tried the new Sevin ( zeta cypermethrin) and that seems to work well.

I have 9 various apple trees in my yard. The only tree that gets japs is nova spy

They got into my grapes - none then two days later were everywhere and breeding on the leaves - fornicating little %$#@%$#%$!!! Amazing what they can do in two days to your plants.

Their dead now.................

They got into my grapes - none then two days later were everywhere and breeding on the leaves - fornicating little %$#@%$#%$!!! Amazing what they can do in two days to your plants.

Their dead now.................
What did you spray them with?

I use Eight on my grapes (permethrin based). Seems to work pretty good. If you don't have a lot of grapes Sevin powder works ok too. I just bought a Misterblower backpack blower for next year so I can reach the tops of trees.

I use Eight on my grapes (permethrin based). Seems to work pretty good. If you don't have a lot of grapes Sevin powder works ok too. I just bought a Misterblower backpack blower for next year so I can reach the tops of trees.
Got it. Yeah the Imidan killed mine just fine this year.

I have that same backpack blower. Works great. I actually use it for mosquitoes and bugs though with Talstar P. I still backpack spray my 90+ trees with 4 gallon sprayer. Upgrading to a ATV spot sprayer next year.

What did you spray them with?

bayer 3 in 1 spray.... mixed from the concentrate bottle. I saw one beetle yesterday and he wasnt on a plant other than that they are gone for now. Same stuff I use on my new grafted trees. Im not pulling grapes off them this year so I didnt look in to the food use restrictions if there are any. Im still in the training the vine mode ....

I prefer to call them Western Pacific Rim Beetles... It's more culturally sensitive.

I know some guys building bucket traps for them and catching thousands

I know some guys building bucket traps for them and catching thousands

The latest study I had read said that pheromone and bait traps have mixed results at best. In some cases, they bring the adults in closer and result in worse year over year infestations.

5BA5A865-2B09-40DA-B879-0B15A419D291.jpeg
When I picked up this fly trap they also had some for Jap beetles. All I know is the fly traps work very well.