All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

black raccoon

JFK52

5 year old buck +
Wisconsin has a hunting and trapping season for raccoons. It runs from mid October to mid February each year. With that comment in mind, let me just say that I found a raccoon that had been hit by a car in front of my house last week. The weird thing about this raccoon was that it was almost a pure solid black color throughout it's main body section. At first I thought it was a feral cat of some type. It also had a shorter than normal tail which had normal coloration to it. I thought this was an anomaly but yesterday while driving home in the middle of the afternoon, I had a similar raccoon run across my road about a mile from my house. There appears to be a group of these oddly colored critters in my area.
Anyone else ever see a raccoon like this? Is this a color phase variation? I have shot hundreds of raccoons during the open season in Wisconsin and have never seen one with this type of coloration. Color me confused?

While I have never seen a black raccoon, I have seen one without a mask. This was on a barrier island and I caught him while he was eating on a dead cormorant. I am sure that genetic variation in raccoons exists and you can probably find all kinds of colors if you look hard enough.
raccoon.jpg

I use to hunt coon, and yes, we would see a few blacks ones each year, and on occasions, a white one.

I trapped one in our dryer room at the farm maybe thirty years ago, it was all black with a silver stripe on its chest it was that years coon so was a medium size. Only one I've ever seen in person.

Kill them all they knocked over my garbage can last night!

Just a color phase. The fur on black racoons is pretty much worthless, however if you find the right taxidermist he may pay top dollar for it.

I've seen a white one on the coast in central CA. It was a regular at a campground I've spent a lot of time at. More of a cream color with darker cream colored rings on the tail.