Black flash cameras?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
I'm in the market for a camera that won't give off an indicator that you've been "busted." Do black flash cameras do that?

There seem to be some grey area in how invisible black flash camera are. Some will be give a faint red grow that people can see when very close where others people cant see at all. I have also herd people comment that they cant see any glow, but then other people can on the same camera.

Either way they are not as noticeable as red flash cameras.

For example the Stealth G42Ng is suppose to be a black\no glow camera that people can very easily see a red glow.

Last edited:
I can see a faint glow from every blackflash cam that I have(Reconyx HC600, Ultrafire XR6, Bushnell HD Max, Moultrie M990i, Big Rack Blackout 500 and Covert Black 60), but you have to really look at it to see it. If you walked by a blackflash cam and weren't looking for the flash you would never know that it went off.

I have Covert Extreme Black 60's. When the cam takes a pic there is nothing. No faint glow, no nothing. I switched to Black flash as I had trespasser issues. Within a week of putting one by the gate I was sold. I sold all my others and bought 4 more. Here's a sample pic. The pics are better quality when there is more of a back drop. This pic is on a rubbing tree I put in the plot.

I think the replacement cam Moultrie sent me is a black flash. They call it a "no-glow" invisible at night. I don't have it with me right now, but I could swear it was an M-880i. Brother said it wasn't the same as the plain 880 i sent in. He also said the pics are kinda grainy. I think I'm ok with this. I'd like to have one in the inventory in case we have the need for covert night picture gathering.

http://www.moultriefeeders.com/m-880i-mini-game-camera

of the red flash IR's that i have used i could see a red glow on all. However, the moultires that i have, the glow is not very noticeable...especially if i you don't know where to look. If the cam were to be used for surveillance purposes mounting above line of sight would be a good way to reduce detection from the red "glow". its not like the entire area of IR illumination glows red...just the bulbs in the array and its pretty faint.

I have a moultrie m-990i. When getting pictures of deer approximately 10' away, lots of heads coming into view,am I doing something wrong with the setup?

Check out the browning black opps. I bought one of these last spring. It has worked great so far, great daytime and pretty good night pics. I can't believe this camera sells for about $130.Also has a built in view finder. I will be buying more. I will not buy another camera that isn't black flash. I have been using them ever since predator came out with them 6-7 years ago.

I recently bought a Moultrie W900ixt from Walmart for $100. Extremely happy with it in the testing in the backyard. Cant detect any lighting unless you stare right into it up close. Battery life is awesome.
I also got a Spypoint BF6, that is at our farm testing. I dont have a report on that one yet.
I am going to get a Covert MP8 blackout as well. Hitting the checkout button in amazon in about 3 minutes ironically enough.

I recently bought a Moultrie W900ixt from Walmart for $100. Extremely happy with it in the testing in the backyard. Cant detect any lighting unless you stare right into it up close. Battery life is awesome.
I also got a Spypoint BF6, that is at our farm testing. I dont have a report on that one yet.
I am going to get a Covert MP8 blackout as well. Hitting the checkout button in amazon in about 3 minutes ironically enough.
I just deployed an MP8 black for the first time...so far so good. I think the nighttime flash range is a little week....but over all not too bad.

I have read that too. I am not too worried about it. Most of my cams are on salt/mineral licks or trails anyway. I dont really do much on large plots or wide open areas.

One slight negative I have seen a few times is the graininess is a bit much on night pics. What do you think?

Actually just found Walmart has them for this price. Makes it much easier for a return if I go the Walmart route in case something doesnt work so good.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Covert-MP...fault&beacon_version=1.0.0&findingMethod=p13n

The grainy look is just the nature of the technology. I use black flash, but don't like the pictures. most of my cameras are set up to capture deer during the daylight hours anyhow. I really don't care where they are at night.

I dont get pictures of deer during the day. :)

I understand its the nature of the cams to be grainy at night but some reviews on the mp8 pointed it out moreso.

I am not concerned. I was just curious if it truly is that way more than others.

I dont get pictures of deer during the day. :)

I understand its the nature of the cams to be grainy at night but some reviews on the mp8 pointed it out moreso.

I am not concerned. I was just curious if it truly is that way more than others.
The mp8 is far more grainy than the red flash moultries I have been running for years. I've heard the covert red 40 has better night pics. Def agree black flash just are grainy ans that's all there is to it.

Well, I received my MP8 Covert black flash.

Nice small camera. First thing I noticed is the battery compartment is kind of a pain to deal with. I can see batteries falling in the grass or snow and fumbling a bit. Kind of like the Bushnell trophy cam battery compartment, but I will give it even a lower score than that one has. I LOVE the compartments for the Moultrie cams.
Tested it in the living room. Takes nice pics, very little blur from moving targets(my labs). Night pics are not bad at all.
I plan to put it out by the feeder tomorrow for some real world testing.

Anxious to get up north and pull my Spypoint black flash and see how that worked out through December.

Post some pic from your spypoint.

My biggest complaint about any of these cameras is the megapixel rating. They call it an 8, 10 or 12 megapixel when in reality it is a 3 at the most. They get to "rating" up with a processor that "multiplies" the image. But you sure can't zoom in on any of them and keep any detail. Most of the ones I have tried should be selling for under $50 because their quality and technology is equivalent to a Kodak Brownie.

The W900 I got says nothing on the packaging other than 10mp..... When you set up the camera, the 10 mp is an interpolated mode.....

To me, i can get what I need if its even if its truly 3 mp or whatever. For $100 each on on the black flash cams I got over the last couple months, I am just fine with that.

I surely wont be making any posters like I could with the homebrew cams I made.

Those MP settings are a real double edged sword. I like to have the hi res photos for viewing, especially when trying to distinguish antlers for population assessment. Then, when you want to email some of those photos, they're so darn big you've gotta resize each one to send them.