BitterSweet

greekfreak

5 year old buck +
As I continue to break into the habitat world at an increasingly rapid pace, I also do enjoy an awesome hunt.

I have been very strapped for time these last few months. A 12 hour notice on launching a program for Chrysler, a ten month old, and a significant other that went through life changing surgery has me strapped for time. Luckily, Friday was one of those days and I took my chance.

I was strapped for stand locations as I was juggling my father and my friend from Oklahoma. As I was poking around looking for a place to set up for the evening I came across this funnel that we had inadvertently made. It was already partially a funnel due to the decreasing ridge and bottom that had a hard stop at an elevated rail road track. It was even more so when we cut the head lances and ran out of time leaving the rest of the field in standing corn.

I noticed this and decided to sit in a tall clump of foxtail. This is just 100 or so yards from the tenants house, and only a few feet from the back pond he keeps the grass cut at so that he can enjoy as he pleases. The pond plays another role in the pinch.

Now time for the bittersweet. I knew this buck. He was far down on the hit list. He ended up scoring 151". My biggest Ohio buck to date.

That is the sweet part.

The bitter part is he was only 3.5 years old!

Attachments

• IMG_0680.jpg
    IMG_0680.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 67
Heck yeah! Nothing to be bitter about there in my opinion.

That is some crazy mass around his bases for just a 3.5 year old. Any trail cam photos of the body? Which state are you in?

Congrats! That's a great buck.

That is some crazy mass around his bases for just a 3.5 year old. Any trail cam photos of the body? Which state are you in?
Ohio, and yes i can attach them. I will also attach photos of him from last year.

What's bitter about a 151 inch deer?

"Far down the hit list"

A post like this makes me scratch my head and worry for the future of deer hunting. Sorry to come across like a d*ck, but don't shoot him then.

PS I'm with Hoyt, that deer is older than 3.5.

What's bitter about a 151 inch deer?

"Far down the hit list"

A post like this makes me scratch my head and worry for the future of deer hunting. Sorry to come across like a d*ck, but don't shoot him then.

PS I'm with Hoyt, that deer is older than 3.5.
You often have to balance between the guys that will call you out on it and the ones whom don’t care.

Huh?

Nice deer. Without a body pic or two, really hard to tell age, but that said, he's got a ton of mass for a 3.5yo!! I wish I had bucks like that, that are way down on the harvest list!

Enjoy your really nice buck!

I understand fully . I've killed deer that size before and realized after the fact they were 3yr Olds. Those are the deer that turn into true monsters.
With that said, there's no catch and release in deer hunting. Enjoy the moment, you killed a great buck that many people will never have a chance at.

At this point in my season I'd contemplate giving my left nut to put one like that on the ground. Brutal temps and conditions so far. Forkies are in trouble the next 2 days.

Just mentioning age structure! An awesome deer and hunt none the less. Thanks for all the congrats.

Great buck! I wouldn’t have thought twice.

Can you post his trail cam pics? Could be educational for a lot of us.

More pics coming!!!

51A35500-05A8-46E9-8263-2A86A336053E.jpegFirst rack, check out the white legs. That’s how we identified him.

8BE42A89-579C-4DDE-B05F-4B9775405C0E.jpegSecond rack, again notice white legs

Nice! Great legs, he looks like my collie.