Big Announcement

I bought the 60# bow as well, but I have mine set at 55#, in todays bows, you dont need to have them cranked that high to get an arrow to penetrate, and accuracy is more important. After struggling to pull back my 70 pound bow after sitting in 0 degrees for a few hours, I decided to go small, and not struggle. Much better that way.

J-Bird, I try to generally avoid recommending to people that they spend THEIR money. I still remember the days when if I found a penny on the street I was eager to reach down and pick it up because we needed it! I still pick up everyone I see no matter where it is just hoping the good Lord never shows me a day again when I need a penny. That having been noted, 15 years in the archery industry is light years. You might want to go to a bow shop and shoot a few - just say'n"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I hear you. I am glad you are happy with your recent purchase. However, I am not a die-hard bow hunter. The bow I have is still getting the job done (that was all my original post was trying to point out). We all have to spend our money on something.....spend it on what makes you happy. To me that happiness just doesn't lie within a new bow.....at least not at the moment. I say that because a trip to the archery store could easily change that....and I dare not tempt myself! Sometimes when we go looking for "trouble" and we find it!!

I prefer the longer axel to axel "generally" too. I literally shot the Triax thinking I would say "too short for me", but I was way wrong. I highly recommend shooting all three before purchasing.

Sounds good WTNUT. I will certainly shoot the Triax. I have heard very good things about it. I'm 6'2" and have a 30" draw and mostly it comes down to the string angle and the peep. Do you have a recommendation for a peep that you like with a steep string angle?

They are all very very similar. Personally, I use the Viper peeps. I bought a lot of them some years ago and still use them.

I didn't mention in post #19 that I bought my current bow back in 1989. I think I'll take it back and complain !!!! Today's bows are probably silky smooth compared to my Golden Eagle. I'll bet many of you never even heard of that manufacturer. It has numerous deer and many good memories to it's credit. Time to change.

I didn't mention in post #19 that I bought my current bow back in 1989. I think I'll take it back and complain !!!! Today's bows are probably silky smooth compared to my Golden Eagle. I'll bet many of you never even heard of that manufacturer. It has numerous deer and many good memories to it's credit. Time to change.

Oh I remember Golden Eagle well and the recurve limbs. I have shot one many, many times.

I will say I am someone who stays in tune with archery technology to a certain extent, but no way near the way I was back in the day. I have been involved with the industry for 35 years, but the last 10 only from a remote vantage point. Many good manufacturers out there, but I will admit the changes Mathews has made to the Halon, Halon 32 and now the Triax has driven me to reexamine every single component of my hunting set up from arrows, rests, stabilizers, sights to quivers. It has really been a fun week.

WTNUT - What would you recommend for a fingers shooter ( tab ) these days, if you look at fingers-geared bows at all ?? Just wondering - maybe looking for a place to start !!

WTNUT - What would you recommend for a fingers shooter ( tab ) these days, if you look at fingers-geared bows at all ?? Just wondering - maybe looking for a place to start !!

Well, interesting because back in the day I too was a finger shooter. I wanted to go to the Olympics, shot FITA target recurves, and then some life changes lead to a release and the first manufacturers teams I mentioned earlier. So I do have at least an average understanding of finger shooting. For a Mathews I would look at the TRX 7 or the TRX 8. They are listed as "target" bows and you can probably only get one in black. But, they are approximately 40 inches axel to axel and still shoot around 330 FPS as I recall. For Hoyt I would look at the Prevail series. Again target bows, but good speed and the only problem is color options. The bow I am stepping away from is the Carbon Matrix from Hoyt. It is an excellent bow and I have loved it, but it is about 3 years old and the Mathews tech has left it behind a little bit. But, a new carbon is pushing $1,500. I have not done it, but I suspect I could shot my Matrix with fingers not problem. It is 36 inches axel to axel if I recall correctly. So some of the other Hoyt hunting bows in the aluminum riser might work as well.

I was shooting an XI flatliner until a few years ago. It was the best you could buy at the time, mid 90's I think Finally bought a Elite bow a few years back. It's probably obsolete now. I think as crazy as it sounds my next bow may be recurve. I'm planning on visiting Lancaster Archery and shooting a few. Thier producing some solid risers and limbs but man thier pricey! I may not let as many walk if I'm sporting a recurve and shooting fingers.

Haven't committed yet but it's been on my mind.

When I read the thread title I Thought you were coming out of the closet:emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::emoji_smile:

Here is my Carbon Matrix I did measure it and it is 36 inches axel to axel. I really think any of the Hoyts in that A to A range could be shot with fingers.

Here is my Carbon Matrix I did measure it and it is 36 inches axel to axel. I really think any of the Hoyts in that A to A range could be shot with fingers.

IMG_6202.JPG

Keep us posted. I am in the market as well. I am 6’3” with a 30” draw and want my first ever new bow set up for me. Honestly I wish I still had my Bear Instinct but that ship has long sailed. Gonna go shoot a few next month.

Well this week was a search for an arrow rest. I have used a rip cord for years, but looked at and tried QAD, LImbdriver, and a few others this week. In the end, I prefer a rest that will cock and stay up while in the stand. I just prefer it over ones that raise the launcher as you draw. In the end I went wth a new Rip Cord ACE. I took the QAD apart and just don't like the way it is made as well as the Ripcord.

Next, I bough a dozen Carbon Express Maixima Red. I am giving them a try. First time in 37 years that I have tried any arrow that was not manufactured by Easton. Plan to hunt tomorrow evening.

I bought the Halon 32 6 today. Turned out I was a 31” dl. Also shot a Hoyt and Elite while deciding.

Matthews switchback XT shooter here! I know better than to go shoot a new one;) Giving my OL girl a make over this yr for an elk hunt this Aug:)

Switchback XT is the bow I sold to buy this one.

I have bowhunted for almost 40 years now, started recurve, one season it came out of storage warped. Bought a bear white tail hunter. junk, heavy, slow, behind the curve, but it worked. stepped up and bought a darton tornado, amazing bow. had it till it was stolen. super accurate, forgiving to shoot, could take out chipmunks with it out to 35 yards. Bought a hoyt magnatech, nice, not at all as forgiving a bow, but it worked. sholder not what it was and bought a bowtech, wow, so light, so accurate. take it out after 6 monhs of it put away and shoots bullseyes, fir shot, the only one that counts. Mathews always been out of reach for me budget wise.

I have a Mathews DXT and a Z7. Never shoot the Z7. That new Triax looks great to me. Very similar to the DXT in size, just much faster.... :)

For those who can't justify spending the money on a brand new, top of the line bow, consider Archery Talk's classified sections. A bunch of those guys are crazy and buy a new set up every year or so. You can get a top of the line, year or two old bow for half of the original price. A lot of things are better off new, but I don't opine that a bow or gun is always one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chrono'd my bow today. 306 fps

I looked at this thread title and thought it was gonna be something else entirely. Strange thing is......... I've been thinking about a new bow since the end of our archery season. And now you guys have thrown GAS on the little spark that was my idea. I've been a fingers shooter with somewhat longer ATA length and more brace height. I'll have to do some shopping, I guess. Natty's talking steep string angles ^^^^^^ and that means a release .......... there aren't many longer bows out there anymore for fingers shooters. I suppose I'll have to look at Mathews ........... too many good comments here. My aching back will play a large role in what I pick. Smoothness of draw will be big.

If I end up spending $$$ for a new bow, the blame falls on you guys !!!!!! I don't really want to .................:emoji_smirk:
Get a stick bow and you can still shoot fingers:emoji_hand_splayed: