Best knife sharpener that is easy to use.

B

BJE80

What good knife sharpener do you suggest for the knife sharpening challenged? I’m not afraid to spend a few bucks because the chef’s choice ones are not getting it done for me.

What good knife sharpener do you suggest for the knife sharpening challenged? I’m not afraid to spend a few bucks because the chef’s choice ones are not getting it done for me.

I have used a Lansky for quite a few years, if you touch the knife up after using it there isn't much to it.

I only have the two-stage Chef's Choice......and my knives get pretty sharp very quickly. If you need extreme......I think Lansky is about the best choice.

Chefs choice

I can't get my chefs choice one to work decent at all. The blade never stays along the magnet and I can't keep it straight. Seriously. :confused:

What kind do you have? No magnets on mine
I'd have to look when I get home. It is piled way in the back of the cabinet. The sides where you are supposed to pull the knife back on an angle are magnetic to hold the knife against the side at the proper angle while you are pulling it back against the wheel. Either I suck or it sucks. Maybe both? ;)

I think this is it right here.

http://www.slowcooker-recipes.net/i...amond-hone-multistage-knife-sharpener-310.jpg
chefs-choice-diamond-hone-multistage-knife-sharpener-310.jpg

I've got a two slot chefs choice. It gets things pretty sharp. I think it was $80. It's lasted me around 7 years and we use it quite a bit. Always wondered what is the best myself, but it seems to be serving its purpose.

I use a Lansky & also free hand with a stone or steel. One thing I've learned over the years is you can't put or keep a good edge on a poor quality blade.

Last edited:
I use a Lansky & also free hand with a stone or steel.

Lansky was one of them I was considering.

Also heard good things about the Worksharp and Spyderco.

All I can say is that sharpening on my chef's choice is much easier with about zero room for error in comparison to my lansky. I like them both, but the cc is far more "idiot proof" and quicker

So what keeps the knife against the angle guide on your CC?

The angle guide does...this is the one I have http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1595082&destination=/catalog/product.jsp?productId=714819&type=product&WTz_l=YMAL;IK-517921

Drop blade in slot, pull back towards you. Are you making sure to feel the knife edge for the "burr" that develops in each stage? If not, then that could be the problem. With knives that have never been sharpened on my CC, I start on the furthest left stage. Feel the edge for the burr, when it develops along the entire edge I go to the middle stage...feel for the burr after a few passes, once its there I move to the farthest right stage. Once I'm done I can shave hair easily

Yes. But when I pull my knife back its all over the place. I never can keep it straight on the one I have. You might do 2-3 times in a row nice and smooth and then the 3rd pull you get halfway through the stroke and then it ruins the edge because it isn't straight.

I have 2 chefs choice sharpeners. One is a 2 stage cheapy and the other is the 3 stage model in Stu's link.

They don't compare. The 3 stage is the way to go.

I give my knives to my buddy to sharpen. He has that Lansky and does an unreal job on them.

One thing I've learned over the years is you can't put or keep a good edge on a poor quality blade.

That is it right there ... cheap steel, no ability to stand up to sharpening & cutting and wont hold an edge. I have old knives from my mom and grandmother that they swore by. Problem was they sharpened them like an axe and they were constantly cutting them selves because they had to apply pressure ....

We now use those knives for work in the garden ... :)

If you spend under $150 per knife, probably poor quality ... just bought a the 2nd new set of Henkels knives for the wife after 15 years ... $1800 for the set. We do not use motor driven grinders for sharpening. We use a hand draw to clean the burrs and then true the edge. We still have the old set and they are at the deer camp still in good condition.

There is also the issue of using the wrong knife for the wrong purpose ... there are cleavers, paring, carving/slicing, boning, etc ... all have a purpose and function which impacts their performance.

^ I'm not sure I'd appreciate an $1800 knife set enough to own it. I understand a good blade costs.....but it isn't gold.

That is it right there ... cheap steel, no ability to stand up to sharpening & cutting and wont hold an edge. I have old knives from my mom and grandmother that they swore by. Problem was they sharpened them like an axe and they were constantly cutting them selves because they had to apply pressure ....

We now use those knives for work in the garden ... :)

If you spend under $150 per knife, probably poor quality ... just bought a the 2nd new set of Henkels knives for the wife after 15 years ... $1800 for the set. We do not use motor driven grinders for sharpening. We use a hand draw to clean the burrs and then true the edge. We still have the old set and they are at the deer camp still in good condition.

There is also the issue of using the wrong knife for the wrong purpose ... there are cleavers, paring, carving/slicing, boning, etc ... all have a purpose and function which impacts their performance.
Not saying I wouldn't love to have an $1800 set of knives, but I spent around $80 on the 3 knives I use everyday professionally butchering and keep them shaving sharp with a 3 stage stone set and I feel like I'm pretty abusive to them, so I have to disagree about having to spend $150 to get a good blade.

My work knife was just under $75, last year. It gets beat but still holds a fair edge. My hunting knives are Buck's about $50 each, and my carry knife went for $125 several years ago. None the most costly but also none junk.