Best fertilizers for fruit trees (and other plantings)

Rally1148

5 year old buck +
Hey all,

So I've been doing a lot of plantings this year and last. As of now I've got ROD, apple trees, pears, and ninebark in the ground. I know that each of these will have different "nutritional" requirements, so I'm just wondering what you all know/think of using different NPK values, and forms of fert. I've got sandy soil, so I'm mainly looking at organics so that it doesn't leech after a few wet weeks. Here are my thoughts, what I've done, and what I plan to do.

Ninebark, ROD and elderberries, and hazelnut (planted this year)- For now, I'm mainly focusing on growth, so I'm using the basic 3-1-2 ratio that you use for foliage plants. This year I tried something kinda risky, and put some crab grass preventer/lawn fert (32-5-5) around some of my ROD, and my elderberries. This was about a week or two ago, so I'll update you all on whether or not it burned them. Fingers crossed, they're alright. I also used some "plant food" that was extended release 12-4-8.
Next year, I'm planning on using a mix of 2 -1-1 blood meal (preferably feather meal): bone meal: greensand and kelp meal. The next year I'll only apply the first two portions of the mix.

Apple and Pear- This year I used some of the 12-4-8 slow release fert, and then a bit of age horse manure. For my young trees, I'll continue this, until fruiting age. For my larger trees (already bearing), I'll use greensand, which is supposed to supply K for up to 5 years. I'll apply it every few years. This year I might have done more N than needed by using the 12-4-8.

I've also thought of using alfalfa meal, which is supposedly one of the more balanced organic fertilizers at roughly 2-1-2. Does anyone have any experience with these or other fertilizers? We've got lots of veggies, perennials, and shrubs, so I'd likely buy a 25 lb bag of each and use it for the next 5 years.

What did you soil analysis say?

What did you soil analysis say?

Adequate or a little low on everything, except pH (which was 5.8). I'm just looking for the long term, since I'd prepped the areas the year before.

Ben, from the old forum liked to put a shovel full of rotted chicken manure by each apple tree.
I have mixed it in the soil with new plantings.

Milorganite has really grown on me. I haven't used it yet, but the idea of non-burning slow release nitrogen appeals to me for living fertilization.

Many manures are slow release, just like milorganite is.

Chicken manure can be too hot.

Adequate or a little low on everything, except pH (which was 5.8). I'm just looking for the long term, since I'd prepped the areas the year before.
Not sure about your extension service, but here we can send in a soil sample specifically for apples and get recommendations for fert using commercial or organic fert. Give yours a call and see....no guess work. You still want to get that ph up some. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.

Not sure about your extension service, but here we can send in a soil sample specifically for apples and get recommendations for fert using commercial or organic fert. Give yours a call and see....no guess work. You still want to get that ph up some. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.
Will do! I just used the sample that I did the year before in the plot, I didn't say it was for apples though!