All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best cold weather - water proof hunting boot?

You should see the old factory now, freakin' joke. It has a restaurant in one of the old office areas and one of the loading dock/warehouse areas is a "flea market" full of used crap! Embarrassing!

You should see the old factory now, freakin' joke. It has a restaurant in one of the old office areas and one of the loading dock/warehouse areas is a "flea market" full of used crap! Embarrassing!

I went to their outlet store in 1992 to get my daughter who was 12 at the time a pair of boots for gun deer season. Picked up a pair of Ice KIngs for 18 dollars. There was suppose to be a flaw some where but I could not find it. I look at Ice Kings now and they are junk compared to the one's that I bought for my daughter. That is the difference between being made in Lacrosse and being made in China.

A pile of dedicated, hard workers were displaced the day they closed the doors of that factory. The only thing that went down with that business move was the quality of their product, the price sure didn't! LaCrosse waders used to be top of the line stuff, now I might as well buy a pair of Gander Mt waders. They are made in essentially the same place and the quality is the same now as well, I save about $50 buying the G Mt brand.

I have a pair of cabela's brand (actually made by danner i believe) 800 gram thinsulate "waterproof" leather boots. I agree with Bueller though...i should have treated them from the get go. They keep water out and my feet dry 99% of the time. but once the waterproof membrane gets saturated its a wrap....however that takes a lot of water to make happen. This year in rifle season i wore them while we did some small drives in a steady freezing rain...after about 5 hours my feet were wet.

As far a scent control concerns....i dont have any. most of my stand sites are set up so that deer most likely wont cross my ingress/egress. thats not to say it doesnt happen though. I wear my boots outside of hunting purposes as well. before hunting season i spray them down heavily with a "scent killer" spray and i leave them out on the porch for a few days and then i store them in one of my tubs that stow my gear in. when i get out of the truck i put my hunting clothes on and I spray my boots down heavily before putting them on. over the years I have watched quite a few deer cross my trail and not even break stride let alone go on alert. I have seen maybe 2 or 3 deer stop and sniff but then carry on with out alarm. I think that the ones that stopped and sniffed caught just enough scent to make them check it out...but not enough to believe it was "fresh" scent.

i have two pairs of rubber boots one is 400 g thinsulate and the other is 1000. I mainly wear the light weight pair in the very early season and its too warm for the 800 g leathers or 1000g rubbers. I use my rubber boots more while shed hunting. Shed hunting season is mud season and i frequently need to cross streams and walk swampy areas so they are a better fit for those purposes.

OK - NOW I'M PISSED!!!!:mad:

Just got word back from Lacrosse - and I am following thru on what I said I would do.

My original pair of boots developed a leak - I sent them to Lacrosse and they replaced them. The pair I got when they replaced now leak - less than a year of use. Lacrosse tells me they can't not resolve the issue as a warranty claim as the replacement product was only warranted under the warranty of the original purchase (which is only a single year BTW). So essentially I am screwed. I realize all manufacturing processes have issues and folks are bound to get a bad one once in a while, but how a company responds to that says a lot. Things went so smoothly the first time - and now this time they want to screw me over because their product didn't stand up.

anitlacrosse.jpg

J-bird - My Lacrosse are older - I don't remember how long ago I bought them. I haven't had a seam problem with them. I guess it was before they moved to COMMUNIST CHINA. (btw - I get a big kick out of politicians who bark and issue warnings about the dangers of communist countries ......... only to ram legislation thru Congress to allow so-called " American " companies to move there for cheap labor and displacing tax-paying Americans from jobs. JUST HOW STUPID ARE WE ????? ) End of rant.

I hope you get a resolution to your boot problem, J-bird.