Bareroot tree storage & planting

BrushyPines

5 year old buck +
I ordered some bareroot trees from TWG that are shipping out on 12/19. My plan is to get them in the ground as soon as I can, but I'm not sure what day they will arrive and what my obligations will be when they do arrive (work & family christmas parties). This will be my first go at receiving and planting bareroot trees. What should I do about storing them if I cant get out to plant them until 3-4 days on down the road from receiving them? Also, any tips on planting a bareroot tree?

Just put the box in garage where it will stay cool. They will keep good for over a week this time of year.

When you plant them late fall like this make sure to get all the air pockets out around roots as you plant so they don’t get frosted too quick.
Water them down good and they should be fine all winter.

Open the box up when they arrive to make sure the roots are still moist. As mentioned above, they will be fine if the roots are moist and you keep them in a cool garage.

Also make sure that there is some air getting to the roots. You don't want them to be submerged in water either.

Brushy pines,

you can hill the trees, basically cover the roots in soil. Sand and saw dust is also commonly used.

I got my tree order 2 weeks ago. I got out there ahead of time and prepped to make it go quicker. Rototilled the spot, ammend the soil, placed the wood mulch bags by the holes, got the cages ready. Saved alot of time.

Brushy pines,

you can hill the trees, basically cover the roots in soil. Sand and saw dust is also commonly used.

I got my tree order 2 weeks ago. I got out there ahead of time and prepped to make it go quicker. Rototilled the spot, ammend the soil, placed the wood mulch bags by the holes, got the cages ready. Saved alot of time.
That's what I do if I'm not ready to plant. I'll just dig them into the garden or compost pile.

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm thinking I'll be able to plant them within 4 days of receiving them. Just didnt know how to go about caring for them until I could get out to plant them. How wide would you dig the hole? And how deep would yall plant the tree? Have the graft union slightly above ground level?

Thanks for the replies, guys! I'm thinking I'll be able to plant them within 4 days of receiving them. Just didnt know how to go about caring for them until I could get out to plant them. How wide would you dig the hole? And how deep would yall plant the tree? Have the graft union slightly above ground level?
All good advice given. Yes never bury the graft root