Bare Root trees watering suggestion

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I'm new to planting bare root fruit trees. I realize there are a lot of variables , just wondering how much water to give them and how frequent on a week with no rain . A couple gallons everyday ? 2-3 gallons every other day ?. I did see on one website to give 5 gallons of water at the initial planting.

I water my trees with a 330gal IBC tote I would shoot for 5 gal per tree, I timed filling a 5 gal bucket. then I took 5 gal buckets and drilled 1/16" holes in the bottom and set it next to the tree and just fill the bucket, I do this once a week when it's really dry so my answer is 5 gal/week.

Can't go wrong with that.

Pretty much dittoing Scott's advice.

I am not sure if there is a hard and fast rule for the amount of watering a new tree needs. You don’t want the soil around the roots to dry out, but equally important, you don’t want to drown them either. My guess is that a gallon or two every 2 to 3 days would be plenty assuming the ground is fairly porous, especially if you can put some sort of mulch around your new tree. The only variable is how well drained you soil is to start with… very well drained (sandy), increases watering, poorly drained (clay) reduce watering. Keep an eye on the leaves and if they start to wilt, you know you need to water more. Just my two cents.

Veering slightly off topic. If you have not yet planted your bare root tree one suggestion is to add water AS you re-fill the whole with dirt. After you add 6” or so of soil, pour in plenty of water to create a slurry of mud, then kinda jiggle the roots around which will get rid of a lot of the air pockets and give good soil contact with your small roots. Add more soil and repeat until the whole is filled. It is not the end of the world if you don’t do this, but I think it helps. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Its better to water thoroughly (depending on soil type) as needed, than to make repeated partial waterings every couple days. Better to let the soil dry out some between waterings as roots need oxygen and it encourages the roots to go a bit deeper looking for moisture. Shallow rooted trees are not what you want.