Barb wire fence cost?

gunther89

5 year old buck +
I am curious if anyone here would have a rough idea of how much it would cost to put in a 4 strand barb wire fence for 62 acres. We are continuing to have a cattle problem and it seems building a whole new fence is the only option. Any ideas would be great.

Hamburgers for lunch everyday! :p

Biggest, varying expense is going to be post type and access for equipment to put posts in.

Whose cattle? How do these cows have access to your property and from how many sides? Could you just shore up the neighbors fence"for him" ?

The cattle are our neighbors. He lets his cattle roam his woods and fields and doesn't have any fences up to keep them on his land. Our north and west line are borders with his. I am not a local where our land is but I've been told if I tell him to get his cattle out or call the sheriff department, he will retaliate and it won't be good for me. I've thought about doing just the fence that boarders him but I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it, but I feel it's either pay for it, deal with the cattle or sell the property.

My land is in cattle country as well, and nearly all the ranchers are very conscientious about their cows and fences. They don't want their cash crop just wandering off either. This doesn't sound like a "local rules" kind of thing. It sounds like a half donkey attempt to raise cows without any regard to others property rights. Pure bully bull. I would start with talking to him, but if he wouldn't cooperate, I would do what you have to do to get him to comply. You could always fence those two sides yourself and offset the cost with free beef. I just know that garbage wouldn't fly at my place for long! He has no right to impose on you. Period!

2 of my Amish neighbor let's their horse's & cow's roam. There was an old fence but it was in rough shape. When I talked to them about it one wasn't very good to deal with, he said the previous owner didn't care. I told him I'm the new owner and I do care. The other we worked together to get the fence fixed. The one that was being a jerk come around when a calf went missing. I think the coyotes got it.

If your Wisconsin Fence law applies your each responsible for 1/2 . I put in 1/2 a 40 line (1/8 mile)
Cost 1600 material from Farm and Fleet. Was ruff job . Had to go over 1 major ridge and side of another. If he doesn't agree to install you go to Township they will be required to enforce by installing and then putting on his tax bill.
See attached link.

http://www.wisconsincountyforests.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/wcfa-fence-law-presentation.pdf

If your Wisconsin Fence law applies your each responsible for 1/2 . I put in 1/2 a 40 line (1/8 mile)
Cost 1600 material from Farm and Fleet. Was ruff job . Had to go over 1 major ridge and side of another. If he doesn't agree to install you go to Township they will be required to enforce by installing and then putting on his tax bill.
See attached link.

http://www.wisconsincountyforests.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/wcfa-fence-law-presentation.pdf
I remember reading something like this earlier in the year after my neighbor told me he was going to be getting some black angus cattle. He has a history of neglecting his animals and letting them roam onto other properties. He never did put up a fence, but he hasn't gotten the cattle yet either. I really don't want to pay half the fence cost because he wants cattle.

The property I own Trempealeau county prior owners refused to put fence in because adjoining neighbor elected to graze cattle. The old line fence had not been used for 30 years was mostly on ground. The neighbor with cattle took complaint to township they came out and put in and added to his tax bill. Sucks but it is law that can be enforced. Most people are unaware of.

The property I own Trempealeau county prior owners refused to put fence in because adjoining neighbor elected to graze cattle. The old line fence had not been used for 30 years was mostly on ground. The neighbor with cattle took complaint to township they came out and put in and added to his tax bill. Sucks but it is law that can be enforced. Most people are unaware of.

Never heard of that before.... Good to know!

-John

MN state/township fence law is very similar in the fact that if you/your neighbor wants a fence, you/they are legally obligated to pay for half in most cases.

I just hope my neighbor is not aware of this law and that if he decides to get cattle he puts up a nice fence

I just hope my neighbor is not aware of this law and that if he decides to get cattle he puts up a nice fence

I think you could fight this. It's the law on many counties in MO. But if you do not have livestock you can fight it. But if you get livestock after the fence goes up you're back on the hook.

The cattle are our neighbors. He lets his cattle roam his woods and fields and doesn't have any fences up to keep them on his land. Our north and west line are borders with his. I am not a local where our land is but I've been told if I tell him to get his cattle out or call the sheriff department, he will retaliate and it won't be good for me. I've thought about doing just the fence that boarders him but I feel I shouldn't have to pay for it, but I feel it's either pay for it, deal with the cattle or sell the property.

It's not 1805. This is why barbed wire was invented in the first place. You bought your land and pay your taxes so YOU can enjoy the property.
Say Screw him! or sell the place, cows and deer coexist but your land will never hold deer as well with them as without them.