Backpack sprayer

r49740

5 year old buck +
Anyone have good luck or recommendation for backpack sprayer? Thoughts? Also do you use one for round up applications and a different one to spray on clovers, brassicas, ect, or just run a bunch of water through after use each time and continue multiple uses?

I’ve got an Echo and have used it for four years now without an issue. I just rinse it out really well and use it for everything. I will add though that my brother is a landscaper and he buys the cheap harbor freight ones and just uses them until they fall apart or quit working and he just replaces them. He gets a couple years out of them and they get lots of abuse.

I use to train commercial applicators on pesticide safety and application. You should be fine using the same backpack sprayer for glyphosate as you do for other chemicals. Triple rinsing with water is what is recommended. That means, filling the sprayer a third full with water after use, spray it all out, and do that two more times. In practicality, I normally just use two rinses and a little bit of tank cleaner.

I think the best sprayers for the money are the Solo backpacks. Like Someday isle said though, you can get away with cheaper ones as well if you take care of them.

Great. I want to start using one for my clovers, brassicas, and such. a pump sprayer is a pain given I do about 5 acres worth. and I dont want to get a sprayer for the tractor at this point.

I’ve got an Echo and have used it for four years now without an issue. I just rinse it out really well and use it for everything. I will add though that my brother is a landscaper and he buys the cheap harbor freight ones and just uses them until they fall apart or quit working and he just replaces them. He gets a couple years out of them and they get lots of abuse.
X2 on the Echo, I've had mine for atleast 5 years and it's given me no problems.

I have a solo. It is fine. I believe there are different types of pumps used in backpack sprayers. I can't recall the details right now, but I have a vague recollection that certain kinds of pumps will last much longer than others. Perhaps Hoytvectrix can help with details if he does this commercially.

I’ll check them out. Currently looking at a Stihl

Great. I want to start using one for my clovers, brassicas, and such. a pump sprayer is a pain given I do about 5 acres worth. and I dont want to get a sprayer for the tractor at this point.

I've got to say that 5 acres is a lot when you are trying to get an accurate application over 5 acres. I've got a 55 gal FIMCO for my tractor. It takes at least one refill for 5 acres. I certainly understand not wanting to pay for a 3-pt sprayer. Until you get the PTO pump and sprayer you can be well over $1K. I'd consider a smaller ATV sprayer. Places like Northern tools sell small 15 gals for a couple hundred, probably twice what you'll pay for a good 5 gal backpack. Not great quality but it includes a 12-volt pump. I got little more expensive and little larger FIMCO ATV sprayer boomless sprayer. I used it on the ATV for a bit but decided I'd rather use it on a tractor so I put it on a carryall on the 3-pt hitch and rand some wire from alligator clips on the tractor battery to the pump.

I'm just saying, there are options in between a larger 3-pt sprayer and a backpack for spraying fields. You can also spot spray from most ATV sprayers, but back pack sprayers work best for spot spraying in thick cover where you can't get an ATV for habitat work.

Thanks,

Jack

i confess to the harbor freight route here and reserve application to the occasional "spot spray"

bill

Appreciate the feedback. I ended up getting a Stihl 430 for now. We'll see how it goes. I need to research what and when to spray clovers now, but at least my round up needs can be done quicker and easier than I had before.

Appreciate the feedback. I ended up getting a Stihl 430 for now. We'll see how it goes. I need to research what and when to spray clovers now, but at least my round up needs can be done quicker and easier than I had before.

I don't spray clover until it is 5 to 7 years old and getting ready for rotation. If I don't have time to rotate, I spray with 1 qt/ac gly to top kill it and drill radish and WR into it. This concentration of gly is enough to kill grasses. The drilled radish/WR germinates and get started before the clover bounces back from the root system. I only do this in the fall when the weather begins to favor the clover and there is rain in the forecast. I get another 3 or 4 years out of the fields before I need to rotate.

Pics of this can be found on a bunch of threads so I won't post them again here. I try to start with a clean clover field by planting only in the fall with a WR nurse crop and doing timely mowing in the spring to release the clover as it puts down the root system in that first year. After that, I become very weed tolerant. Many broadleaf weeds are as good or better deer food than the clover itself. Nature abhors a monoculture.

Thanks

Jack

I have a typical solo backpack that is good for small stuff where atv sprayer isn't practical. However I'll likely never use it again except for precision gly tasks. Reason I won't use much is i recently got a gas blower unit for mosquito control. Makes a fine mist that coats foliage very well. It's definitely going to become my go to for fruit tree and small plot spraying. ($300 delivered to my door)
868-2T.jpg

I have a typical solo backpack that is good for small stuff where atv sprayer isn't practical. However I'll likely never use it again except for precision gly tasks. Reason I won't use much is i recently got a gas blower unit for mosquito control. Makes a fine mist that coats foliage very well. It's definitely going to become my go to for fruit tree and small plot spraying. ($300 delivered to my door)
View attachment 30367
any issues with blow back on this as a result of it sending it out in a mist? i can see how this would be great for spraying areas i cant get into with my utv, i have some csp projects where i have to eliminate invasives in hard to reach areas like wetlands, and this may be perfect.

any issues with blow back on this as a result of it sending it out in a mist? i can see how this would be great for spraying areas i cant get into with my utv, i have some csp projects where i have to eliminate invasives in hard to reach areas like wetlands, and this may be perfect.
I've used it spraying for mosquito in wet areas by standing on high ground and getting the mist to float out. Haven't had any issues with blow back. Have only used on calm mornings thou without any wind to fight

View attachment 30367
What model is that?

View attachment 30367
appears similar to what i got with the stihl

Just got my mister duster tonight. Why? Because this is what my young dolgo crabapples look like due to bagworms Here I thought I only had to worry about Japanese beetles.
5d1ef4d81ca34c70b131720ca3a3de57.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Just got my mister duster tonight. Why? Because this is what my young dolgo crabapples look like due to bagworms Here I thought I only had to worry about Japanese beetles.
5d1ef4d81ca34c70b131720ca3a3de57.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Good Lord!

Good Lord!
Yeah, it's a little heartbreaking. All the work to plant and take of them for years and you miss a couple weeks-BAM, destroyed. Hopefully they make it. I even found bagworms on persimmon and oaks. I'm going to seek revenge by mist blowing every fruit tree/cedar/arbovidea around:emoji_wink: