Back to the future

KDdid

5 year old buck +
After my dad ended up in a nursing home, life prevented me from spending any time (and money) to maintain his old 620. This tractor was the only one he refused to trade in during his life, and since he’s been gone a few years it seemed only fitting to get it running again. My BIL rebuilt the carburetor and flushed the gas tank. New batteries, fluids, and some head scratching, and now it fires right off, and runs better than ever. This one is a 1959, and dad bought it in the late 60’s (he was the second owner). I still have the narrow front end components in the barn, but I always remember how dad didn’t trust it on the steep side hills we have on the home place.
We also have a 1969 4020, which runs like a top. We rebuilt the injection pump two years ago, and it runs like a champ, although we are having a leak in the power steering valve housing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
d75e55a9e6952181d804af4d555e4c37.jpg

Very nice!

That's a good old girl.

Great bringing these old workhorse back to life :emoji_thumbsup:

Nothing wrong with those old machines....we can't forget where we come from! Nice tractor KD!!

pretty cool, if I'm not mistaken, a 2 cylinder, 4 valve motor. about 44 hp

I like where you changed out the tricycle front end

Nice rig. Love old John Deere tractors...especially when they're rocking custom-made front fenders!

I think that wide front was an aftermarket one sold through Tractor Supply- dad picked it up at an auction just as I got old enough to be turned loose on the beast. I remember that we had a succession of two bangers when I was a kid. This 620, an A, a 730 gasser, and a 720 diesel, which dad traded for the 4020 we currently have. Everyone had its own quirks, but that 720 was the best running tractor I ever used. Hated to see it go. I think it’s being shown at fairs nowadays.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you ever hit a coyote den with that narrow front end you remember it for a long time, probably the most dangerous style of tractor ever

I love those tractors. The sound of a poppin Johny isn't something I get to hear very often anymore. It's amazing to me how these old tractors can stand the test of time.

My grandpa bought a 520 brand new way back in about 1952. Uncle John still does stuff with it on the farm just for the nostalgia of it. It will never leave the farm.