Back in the day......

Circa 1980. This little button buck shot from the ground at about 10 yards started it all. The buck and I were equally stupid to the ways of the woods.

IMG_4026.jpeg

Circa 1983, Pennsylvania deer camp with one of my cherished hunting mentors.

IMG_4028.jpeg

Around 1982 shooting my NRA DE at scout camp. I can still shoot but not as steady as I once was.
IMG_4027.jpeg

About 1986, I laminated this pic and carried it for bragging rights. NJ deer like this are hard to find.

IMG_4029.jpeg

First Wyoming trip with an older friend who's gone now. I'd put it around 1990

IMG_4025.jpeg

Last edited:
I have never had a successful hunt when hunting with others, except one. I will have to see if I can find that one photo of me with a dead deer in the 1990s. I am glad others take pictures.

Oooh, wait, I have a good one, stand by......This is a friend of the family.

IMG_20240618_141010~2.jpg

My dad and I in I believe 1976. A 37 .5 king salmon caught out of ludington. It took a full hour to reel that big king in. I grew up on lake michigan and it's always been my number 1 passion. The biggest transformation since the 1970s to now is lake michigan changed from green algae water to blue water due to the filtering of the invasive zebra mussels

Attachments

• 20240618_214334.jpg
    20240618_214334.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 21
This buck was shot by a friends uncle in Pope County Minnesota. Real close to my farm .

It gross scored 228, shot in the 1970s. Might be the biggest buck ever shot in our county, either #1 or #2?

16161.jpeg

This buck was shot by a friends uncle in Pope County Minnesota. Real close to my farm .

It gross scored 228, shot in the 1970s. Might be the biggest buck ever shot in our county, either #1 or #2?

View attachment 65601
I mean I don’t know what to say! Unfortunately that deer would be dead at 2.5 these days

View attachment 65601
Looks like that bucks neck is crooked from carrying all that mass. (strange mount)

Looks like that bucks neck is crooked from carrying all that mass. (strange mount)
I wish they could get a new cape and re-do that mount. It’s an impressive buck .

I wish they could get a new cape and re-do that mount. It’s an impressive buck .
A quality taxidermist can do that with no problem. Lots of capes to be had through sellers. I would only buy a tanned cape though. Cost more up front but you have little chance for it to slip hair if you buy a raw cape that needs to be tanned yet.

I've seen these guys before. I think they post short 1 minute YouTube videos of most their capes for sale.

Of course a good bully buck would make a great cape also. I agree though, that big ol beast needs a fresh makeover.