AU Buck tree already producing...?

IkemanTx

5 year old buck +
My father ordered the AU buck iv package this last December, and planted the trees in February when they arrived.
I stopped by the farm, and all the trees in the package are doing well. Two of the package were already out the top of the tree tubes, and one of the two had a clearly visible bur formed inside the tube. The other had a rather large wasp nest in the tube, so I didn’t investigate much further.

Is it normal for these trees to produce burs so quickly in the ground?
0c31c3dafb25b266e82ef96c772f9d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same thing happen. I put mine in Rootmakers and they produced a few nuts on my deck. I planted them in the field and they died.

My father ordered the AU buck iv package this last December, and planted the trees in February when they arrived.
I stopped by the farm, and all the trees in the package are doing well. Two of the package were already out the top of the tree tubes, and one of the two had a clearly visible bur formed inside the tube. The other had a rather large wasp nest in the tube, so I didn’t investigate much further.

Is it normal for these trees to produce burs so quickly in the ground?
0c31c3dafb25b266e82ef96c772f9d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I planted 2 AU seedlings this year. I took my time getting them caged but they didn’t take time putting on leaves and growth. The deer found them before I caged them. One does the other has recovered.

I am not familiar with that variety of tree....but I will say that based on my limited experience with other chestnut trees that a burr and "production" are 2 different things. It's a very good sign....but it may not yield an actual nut...or much of one. Like I said....still a very promising sign.

I am not familiar with that variety of tree....but I will say that based on my limited experience with other chestnut trees that a burr and "production" are 2 different things. It's a very good sign....but it may not yield an actual nut...or much of one. Like I said....still a very promising sign.

These are grafted trees which makes them produce sooner. Mine produced a couple nuts on my deck the first year I got them. Since they were the only chestnuts I had in the area that year, I'm certain the nuts were a cross between AU Buck III and AU Buck IV.

With seedling trees like the Dunstans I've grown, I think you are right. They may produce a few burs before they ready to produce viable nuts.

Thanks,

Jack