All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ashmead's Kernel??

letemgrow

5 year old buck +
Anyone have this variety on the farm or at the house? When does it drop and how is the flavor?

I planted one in zone 3b/4, died it’s first winter. I have one planted at my house in zone 4 that is growing great. Should have it’s first fruit this year but the tree is very clean. Leaves are spotless and stay green well after others have dropped. It should drop end of October. I planted it for taste and to add to cider. It wouldn’t be my first choice as a deer apple. It has sporadic bearing properties. If you want a quirky, unique tasting apple than have it. Disclaimer, I have not tasted one.

Grafted a couple 2 years ago but not fruiting yet! Still waiting........

Where did you get the scions from? I’m going to put one in my backyard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a couple, expecting fruit in 2021. My scions came from GRiN.

SE Michigan here. The best attribute is the fruit, ripe about the first of October and Wow is it good! Now, it grows like sh*t...slow. It grows like a vase at the laterals..straight up, so if you pick a central leader you get a goose neck at every set of laterals. I think I grafted my one and only in 2012 or 2013. It is a super shy bearer, some years nothing - last year was a good year, I got 4 apples. I made the mistake of taking a bite - 1 made it back to the house - but because it is a russet my girls are hesitant to eat the "potato-apple" so I ate it. They are really a stellar eating apple. And I have an odd sense of what I value, I like the oddball. It does not do much in terms of production - I will keep it but I would not plant more or again. If I ever get a bumper crop of Ashmeads Kernel I will shout thanks to the heavens!!

SE Michigan here. The best attribute is the fruit, ripe about the first of October and Wow is it good! Now, it grows like sh*t...slow. It grows like a vase at the laterals..straight up, so if you pick a central leader you get a goose neck at every set of laterals. I think I grafted my one and only in 2012 or 2013. It is a super shy bearer, some years nothing - last year was a good year, I got 4 apples. I made the mistake of taking a bite - 1 made it back to the house - but because it is a russet my girls are hesitant to eat the "potato-apple" so I ate it. They are really a stellar eating apple. And I have an odd sense of what I value, I like the oddball. It does not do much in terms of production - I will keep it but I would not plant more or again. If I ever get a bumper crop of Ashmeads Kernel I will shout thanks to the heavens!!

Now I gotta have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I grafted 2 about 3 years ago. Hoping to get the first fruits this year. Probably have a couple sticks of scion if anyone needs it but I can’t vouch for the taste. Agree with above about upward growth habit. I tried like crazy to train it but gave up last year.