artificial licking posts

JFK52

5 year old buck +
If you have made artificial licking posts on your property, what type of wood did you use? How long does the pole need to be? What height above ground do you put the branch? What about locations? Did you dig a post hole for it or is there another way to secure them upright? I have rocky land. This was a project that I wanted to do last year but just ran out of time before I started hunting. Any other information related to artificial licking posts will be appreciated. I have heard that bark on cedar makes for an excellent licking post.
I definitely want to put out at least 10 or more licking posts on my land this season, so I am starting the ball rolling early.

I've had luck with a cedar post at least 2 feet in the ground with a grape vine attached as the licking branch. That's for use in a field near a stand.

On the edge you can nail a branch like Steve did in the video or just tie a branch from a tree back to the trunk so it hangs in the sweet spot. When I do this on the edge it really helps to spray roundup or all season weed killer under the branch. Leaves the perfect dirt spot for making a scrape.

I've done up to 10 on a clover trail through the timber and watched bucks visit them all on the way to a bean field.

I use a simple 4x4 post 2 to 3 foot in the ground. I cut off licking branches from a nearby pin oak and use nails and wire to hold them in place. The deer found them quickly and use them often.

If you have a tree growing where you want it you always cut it off above the branches that will serve as your licking branch. Or tie a rope from tree to tree and use a grape vine around an inch in diameter. The vine lasts a loooooong time and since it free swings I feel like it occupies them and keep them more interested

I bought 20 10 to 12 foot bark on cedar posts for $7 each yesterday and hauled them to my land. They have a base diameter of 4 to 5 inches and taper to the top. I was told they are the cedar tree tops. They were cut this last winter. I hauled them to my land and they are sitting on my trailer waiting their turn on the job list. My helper has a PTO post hole digger with a 9 inch auger that has not even been used. I will set it up on my Kubota and be able to drill 32 inch deep holes. As for the branches to attach to the cedar posts, I am looking at cherry tree branches or perhaps grape vines as has been suggested in this thread.
I will post again after I have put some of them in the ground.

I bought 20 10 to 12 foot bark on cedar posts for $7 each yesterday and hauled them to my land. They have a base diameter of 4 to 5 inches and taper to the top. I was told they are the cedar tree tops. They were cut this last winter. I hauled them to my land and they are sitting on my trailer waiting their turn on the job list. My helper has a PTO post hole digger with a 9 inch auger that has not even been used. I will set it up on my Kubota and be able to drill 32 inch deep holes. As for the branches to attach to the cedar posts, I am looking at cherry tree branches or perhaps grape vines as has been suggested in this thread.
I will post again after I have put some of them in the ground.

Where did you buy the bark on cedar posts? For some reason I want to make my fake scrape posts look more real, lol. The deer won't care but I do.

I bought them from a farmer in Galloway, WI which is a small community on State Hwy 49 North of Waupaca. He cuts cedar trees in the winter and then sells them from his farm. He advertises on Craigslist. If you want his contact information please send me a PM thru the site and I will provide it to you.
It worked great for me as he is only a 35 minute drive from my farm so I did not burn up huge amounts of money on gas. His price was 1/2 of the asking price of similar length bark on cedar trees at other sellers.

I bought them from a farmer in Galloway, WI which is a small community on State Hwy 49 North of Waupaca. He cuts cedar trees in the winter and then sells them from his farm. He advertises on Craigslist. If you want his contact information please send me a PM thru the site and I will provide it to you.
It worked great for me as he is only a 35 minute drive from my farm so I did not burn up huge amounts of money on gas. His price was 1/2 of the asking price of similar length bark on cedar trees at other sellers.

Thanks but a bit too far to travel. I'll probably drop a cedar or osage orange and go that route.