Arrowwood

Mozark

5 year old buck +
The arrowwood I ordered from MDC are too small to plant out, they would get overtaken by weeds. The plan is to throw them in two gallon pots for the summer and plant out this fall. Those of you that have arrowwood, how fast do they grow?20220403_135909_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Weed mat and a cage should get them through?

Half of them are going between trees in an orchard plot. Weed mat, cage, and mulch would probably get them through. The other half are going into the valley in front of hazelnuts. I have cleth on hand and can spray the grass, no problem with that. There is a little bit of goldenrod there, which I have very little of, so I don't want to nuke with gly. Im afraid they would get takin over, if planted this small. 20220409_114358.jpg

It feels like you'd be taking a potential risk by unnecessarily planting them, digging them up, and replanting. Might be too much of a shock to their system. Sorry I don't have any ideas how fast it grows.

Google says 13-24" per year and medium growth rate. For whatever that's worth.

Thanks for the info! They are in pots for now, I will plant out what I can this fall. I would like to have them on hand to make foreshafts out of, another reason I don't want to risk it.20220409_122232.jpg

I have planted some that small over the years. They will be fine. I'd say they average between 12-24" growth the first year when left unprotected.

I have planted some that small over the years. They will be fine. I'd say they average between 12-24" growth the first year when left unprotected.
Thank you Hoyt!