Are you concerned about lead fragments in deer from gun hunting

B

BJE80

I've found you will get answers all over the map on this one. There are many studies showing lead bullets will leave very small traces of lead in your meat. Ones you won't notice, or feel when chewing and definitely too small to see. Have you made the switch to copper? Are you worried about it? Is it all hogwash? Do you just trim more even though the studies show lead spreads much farther than we usually think.

I still use lead bullets and don't plan to switch at this time. However, I feel there is probably merit to the concerns. So what do you think?

Bullet Fragmentation

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/hunt/documents/lead.pdf

Heck, I've bitten down into and probably even swallowed many, many no. 6 shot pellets in rabbits I killed and ate. I never thought twice about it, but it couldn't have been good for me! I still use lead.

In today's world everything is bad for you...I dont worry about it too much.

I am in TMIL's boat - I am sure I have eaten some thru rabbit and tree rats. I couldn't tell you if my sabots are copper or lead - I never gave it much thought. Maybe that's what wrong with me - too much lead! Used to eat the paint off my crib, used a lawn mower that ran on regular gas too. I was a real rebel and drank from the garden hoses as well!!!!!! Bad to the bone!

deer repellent.jpg

Well there is a benefit to it. If someone tells you that you have lead in your a$$. You can tell them you have a perfectly good reason. Myself I'm not worried about it. Or maybe you could turn it around and use it as a reason to upgrade to a new and better bow & bow hunt only.

Cal. has had cancer warning on fishing tackle for years and will ban lead sinkers/tackle very soon.
Doesn't just about everything cause cancer in Cal?

For what it is worth. I do wonder if I should watch out for it for my kids and only my kids. Nobody gives a rats ass if I die.

Fragmenting-Lead-Bullets2.jpg

deer-lead-fragments_closeup.jpg

i never gave it much thought at all....i kill 4 or 5 deer with my bow for every 1 that i kill with a rifle. I do believe i remember reading a study on a guy that eats venison 4-6 times a week per year from about 12-15 deer per year most killed with a rifle (from a southern state with liberal bag limits and a long gun season) they took his base line lead blood levels and continued to monitor it over several years and he showed no net increase in lead levels. His baseline levels were very low and within acceptable ranges. But that is just one dude so who knows.

i never gave it much thought at all....i kill 4 or 5 deer with my bow for every 1 that i kill with a rifle. I do believe i remember reading a study on a guy that eats venison 4-6 times a week per year from about 12-15 deer per year most killed with a rifle (from a southern state with liberal bag limits and a long gun season) they took his base line lead blood levels and continued to monitor it over several years and he showed no net increase in lead levels. His baseline levels were very low and within acceptable ranges. But that is just one dude so who knows.

He muuuuuuuuuuust use a monolithic bullet. ;)

I'm not so much worried about it for me, but I do very much worry about it's persistence within the environment. I've got no problem with banning it from fishing tackle either. In my book it's just a minor inconvenience.

For anyone worried about consuming lead - I want to inform you that there is a very high chance you bathe with it! If you have brass in your plumbing fixtures or even in your municipal water distribution system that water is in contact with lead and can/will leach the lead into the water. Brass has roughly 2% lead in it to assist with machinability. How do I know this? I was an Engineer for a large faucet manufacturer for nearly 10 years. Brass was the construction material of choice in water based applications where rust was undesirable. Copper was/is too cost prohibitive. Many pumps and valves where made with brass components and still in use all over the world in water distribution systems. So ban you fishing weights and your shot for waterfowl - and then go home and pour it on your body!

You just HAD to do it, didn't you J-bird ?? Now I'm gonna have to give up showering and drinking water !!:eek:

BJE80 - So nobody cares if you croak, huh?? I think you've got lots of company in that club mister !!

Never gave it much thought. I don't eat the ribs anyway.:D And I don't really want to live to see 90, cause even my kids would be too old to drag my deer out for me.:)

I think about it. Won't quit eating venison. I do focus on taking better shots. Not a big deal though, haven't pulled the trigger in 5 years. When the day comes, it'll be a well placed shot with a properly sighted rifle, or that deer will walk. If we ever get back to the point where we can feel good about taking does, heads shots are the cleanest way to do it for me.

Brownsbuck - it isn't often I get to share a little something that may surprise others - I'm just not that smart! If that is the excuse you want to use for not showering I guess it works. I will tell you the deer may find you offensive - and don't expect me to sit next to you at deer camp!

Lead is more dangerous to children and pregnant women than healthy adults. I saw a presentation on the affects of lead on eagles that eat deer carcasses. Basically, eagles are very susceptible to lead poisoning and if there is fragments in a dead deer they often consume them. The month in mn that has the most eagles reported with lead poisoning is December. The presenter showed pictures like BJE80 posted on the way bullets will fragment when they impact. What I found very suspect about the study is they tested bullets on goat carcasses. When shooting they intentonally shot the goat in the hind quarter to get the most fragments. I am not shooting deer in the hind quarter.

It is clear lead is bad for you but I am sure we have all consumed some over the years. Sodium is also poisonous to you at high doses but we consume it every day. I won't stop shooting deer or eating venison but I take care when butchering.

For the sake of my girls, I now discard more meat from around the bullet wound channel.. If it looks at all blood shot or bruised , it is discarded. Cut out a wide area and get rid of it.

I also feel it would be better to go for shots through the ribs and not spinal or shoulder shots.

I agree NoFo, I am of the same mindset. Somethings gonna kill me, lead poisoning from some tiny bullet fragments isn't it. We cut well away from the wound channel and discard the meat near it. We also try for shots directly through the lower half of the rib cage behind the shoulder, or the center of the base of the neck, if at all possible.

reason number 131 to take neck shots.