Apples near cedars?

The posts I've made about some of the apple varieties we have at camp aren't an indicator of what some of you guys may experience. We're in the mountains, with no juniper family plants anywhere near for miles, so CAR doesn't affect us. We're also blessed with an almost constant breeze because we're on a ridge top, so air flow helps us with keeping trees drier and sunlit. Those 3 factors will help with most disease problems - sun, breeze, and no juniper family plants near us.

I feel for you guys that have little or no breeze, high humidity, and have red cedars all over your countryside. FB also flourishes with rainy, humid weather conditions. Sooty blotch, flyspeck, & mildew are also more common in those conditions. We do get some sooty blotch and flyspeck on our camp apples, but they don't affect apple development. They're only cosmetic flaws. The apples aren't "pretty" - but the deer don't care, and it doesn't slow us from eating some !!

The forum DOES point out differences between geographic regions and climates. The more info shared here, the better for all of us. I've learned a TON here about many habitat topics, thanks to all of you guys ………….. and some who no longer post here. I wish some were still on here.

CAR can obviously be problematic for people who choose not to spray their trees. It can be dealt with rather easily for those who choose to spray Immunox a few times each spring.

I can't grow tomatoes very well without spraying some type of fungicide. I like tomatoes, so I spray the plants with chlorothalonil