Apples,apples and more apples

They changed already since this morning. Now we have a freeze warning for tonight and snow and freeze warning this weekend.
Is a warning better for us than what it was before?

Looking ahead at our 10 day forecast, there calling for two 26 deg nights in a row. These are forecasted for Friday & Saturday night so I'm hoping these predictions are eased over the course of the next few days and we end up in the 30s. :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Looking ahead at our 10 day forecast, there calling for two 26 deg nights in a row. These are forecasted for Friday & Saturday night so I'm hoping these predictions are eased over the course of the next few days and we end up in the 30s. :emoji_fingers_crossed:
Same here. I got scared and pulled all my grafts out of the garden box. Back to the garage for at least another week. They had a couple days of freedom.

Same here. I got scared and pulled all my grafts out of the garden box. Back to the garage for at least another week. They had a couple days of freedom.

I don't have any newly grafted trees to protect but I do have a few trees that have there 1st blossoms this year. I was anxious to see them fruit..... The fruit tree gamble

I don't have any newly grafted trees to protect but I do have a few trees that have there 1st blossoms this year. I was anxious to see them fruit..... The fruit tree gamble
Me too. I have a liberty and ashmend kernel with their first blossoms. They have not opened yet but a week of cold and three nights below freezing is not looking good.

Me too. I have a liberty and ashmend kernel with their first blossoms. They have not opened yet but a week of cold and three nights below freezing is not looking good.

I have a Liberty and Arkansas Black at first pink.

My Black Twig has produced a couple apples the last couple years and is loaded this year. It will probably blossom tomorrow or next day.

Grimes Golden produced a few 2 years ago and has a lot of fruit buds at tight cluster

All my wild apples are at pink stage

It hit a low 32.3 degrees here so it looks like a win so far. The twenties would have been tough although the wild trees are still a ways from blossom time here. Did everyone else do OK as well?

Same here. Next threat is Friday and Saturday night. Those temps have ticked up a couple degrees. All it took was me digging everything back up to erase the threat.

I had 31 last night. Like Chummer our threat is Frday & Saturday night. There now forecasting 26 for Fri and 29 for Sat.

I had 31 last night. Like Chummer our threat is Frday & Saturday night. There now forecasting 26 for Fri and 29 for Sat.

That was Accuweather. Weather Bug is forecasting 27 for Fri and 31 for a low Saturday night.

My next-door neighbor said to me while out working in our yards, "For the last few years it seems as though winter & cold is hanging on later and later in the spring, and the warm weather hangs on later & later into the fall. It seems like the seasons are shifting." I have to say, in our region of the country, that seems accurate.

I remember as a kid having our first snow each year in NC Pa. in October, wearing long underwear & several layers of clothes to go out "trick-or-treating" on Halloween. Anymore, when rifle deer season starts around the end of November or first of December, we can find ourselves wearing jeans and a sweatshirt instead of bundling up for snapping-cold, as we always did. We still get very cold days, but the overall pattern seems to be changing.

It'll be interesting to see how fruit trees and vegetable crops are affected by shifting patterns and see-saw temperatures.

My next-door neighbor said to me while out working in our yards, "For the last few years it seems as though winter & cold is hanging on later and later in the spring, and the warm weather hangs on later & later into the fall. It seems like the seasons are shifting." I have to say, in our region of the country, that seems accurate.

I remember as a kid having our first snow each year in NC Pa. in October, wearing long underwear & several layers of clothes to go out "trick-or-treating" on Halloween. Anymore, when rifle deer season starts around the end of November or first of December, we can find ourselves wearing jeans and a sweatshirt instead of bundling up for snapping-cold, as we always did. We still get very cold days, but the overall pattern seems to be changing.

It'll be interesting to see how fruit trees and vegetable crops are affected by shifting patterns and see-saw temperatures.

I find this accurate as well. As a kid we always had snow for rifle season. Now it is a rarity.

One thing great about all of this apple tree grafting and planting one just can't get enough calories to offset the long days of continuous exercise. So when Chummer told me about the coming freeze and thus a day off from planting, Anne and I went picking fiddle heads and caught them just starting to come up. Combined with steak and mashed potatoes smothered in butter and the fiddle heads themselves cooked in butter we are enjoying great eats and are ready to get planting tree grafts again right after this next and hopefully last freeze this spring forecast for this weekend. We froze a bunch of fiddle heads from that batch and will pick some more tomorrow to have fresh with giant portions of tender venison tomorrow evening.
IMG_0316[4418].jpg

And November snow here is still a regular deal but with wide fluctuations in temperatures it often melts quickly.

one plus one equals two and two plus two equals four. After that things get confusing these days.
I’m having trouble figuring out with confidence on the most economical size to create apple thickets when looking at wire costs. Can someone who is still comfortable with numbers tell me if my calculations are correct and if not what the numbers should be for number of trees individually caged versus perimeter fenced using 100 ft. wire, 200 ft, and 300 ft. When planting 12 ft. apart or using 15 ft. wire lengths to cage each tree.

Let’s say we use a fifteen ft. fence to cage one apple tree and we want to know when does it make sense to just use a single perimeter fence to enclose many apple trees. So if we had 100 ft. of fence that would enclose individually 100 divided by 15 or 6.6 trees. The sq. footage of that 100 ft fence shaped in a single circle would equal 796 sq. ft. At 12 ft. spacing (144 sq,. ft. per tree) that would equal 796 divided by 144 equals 5.52 trees. Thus it is slightly more economical fence wise to individually enclose trees as individually we could enclose 6.6 trees with that 100 ft. of fence.

If we had 200 ft. of fence it could individually cage 13.3 trees(200 divided by 15 ). That same 200 ft. of fence as a single circle could enclose 3,185 sq. ft. At 144 ft. per tree with 12 ft. spacing that 200 ft. could enclose 22 trees. Thus it then becomes more economical to perimeter fence as a 200 ft. perimeter fence (22 trees versus the same 200 ft. only making 13.3 fifteen ft. individual cages).

If we had 300 ft. of fence making cages with a 15 ft. circumference we could make 20 individual cages. As one circle that 300 feet would enclose 7,169 sq. ft. At 144 ft. per tree that 300 ft. circle could hold 49.78 trees.

The number of trees that fit in a circle seems to go up exponentially as the circle circumference gets larger.

Are these calculations correct or off in La-La-land?

Thanks.

one plus one equals two and two plus two equals four. After that things get confusing these days.
I’m having trouble figuring out with confidence on the most economical size to create apple thickets when looking at wire costs. Can someone who is still comfortable with numbers tell me if my calculations are correct and if not what the numbers should be for number of trees individually caged versus perimeter fenced using 100 ft. wire, 200 ft, and 300 ft. When planting 12 ft. apart or using 15 ft. wire lengths to cage each tree.

Let’s say we use a fifteen ft. fence to cage one apple tree and we want to know when does it make sense to just use a single perimeter fence to enclose many apple trees. So if we had 100 ft. of fence that would enclose individually 100 divided by 15 or 6.6 trees. The sq. footage of that 100 ft fence shaped in a single circle would equal 796 sq. ft. At 12 ft. spacing (144 sq,. ft. per tree) that would equal 796 divided by 144 equals 5.52 trees. Thus it is slightly more economical fence wise to individually enclose trees as individually we could enclose 6.6 trees with that 100 ft. of fence.

If we had 200 ft. of fence it could individually cage 13.3 trees(200 divided by 15 ). That same 200 ft. of fence as a single circle could enclose 3,185 sq. ft. At 144 ft. per tree with 12 ft. spacing that 200 ft. could enclose 22 trees. Thus it then becomes more economical to perimeter fence as a 200 ft. perimeter fence (22 trees versus the same 200 ft. only making 13.3 fifteen ft. individual cages).

If we had 300 ft. of fence making cages with a 15 ft. circumference we could make 20 individual cages. As one circle that 300 feet would enclose 7,169 sq. ft. At 144 ft. per tree that 300 ft. circle could hold 49.78 trees.

The number of trees that fit in a circle seems to go up exponentially as the circle circumference gets larger.

Thanks.
What were you planning on using for fence? Deer jump over 5’ fence pretty easy.

Thanks.
Plugging in 100,200, and 300’ circumferences into an online area calculator for circles gets me within 8 sq ft of your last figure.

I think your total tree count is off though. You are assuming every sq ft of area can be used to plant a tree and that’s just not the case. You won’t be planting right on top of the fence. So maybe 5’ of cushion along the fence? That shrinks the diameter from 95.5 to 85.5 before the first tree goes in. So your first row of trees if started dead center would yield 7 trees with each additional row getting less trees.

Thanks.

I have been through those same thoughts.

I finally came to the conclusion that it was supposed to be fun.
Please be careful to not overwhelm yourself.

A five foot high cage protects a tree in most cases.

A five foot high fence deer can jump. It has only happened to me once, but the bigger the cage the more likely they will learn to jump in and eat.

Just a reminder again about not stretching yourself too thin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are planting for a thicket you can cut the single cages in half. I also find maintenance much easier with narrow cages.

Maybe in this situation it would be more economical to fence your thicket in with T-posts and multiple strands of electrified wire or poly wire. Basicly a horse fence. You could electrify the fence with a solar unit. You could also put quite a few strands on a 6.5ft T-post. I did this to protect a small area of pines. I already had all these materials at my disposel after my wife sold her horses so I don't remember what all this cost. In my case I would already be buying the T-posts to attach my cages to anyway so really all you should have is the cost of the wire fencing, pladtic clip on insulators, a ground rod & your solar fencer.