Apples,apples and more apples

Thank you everyone for sending prayers for me. After having been in the emergency room for a few days a month ago, I’ll so blessed to have a chance at this while so many people in the hospital are really in tuff shape with little chance of making it.

Thank you, everyone for the opportunity to Learning and sharing tree adventures with all of you. It has been provided me such great adventure and I’m looking forward to keeping them going for a few more years at least. This area has a spathering of late apple dropping genes that if could be combined with other late apple dropping genes for other areas using linebreeding as is done with our daylilies could be really something special! We could feed our deer apples thru the rut and even the winter. Together we all can do this, together. We can, WE CAN. Combining our best of the best apple varieties (the top of .001) is a goal that the we and likely us together can accomplish.

We will. It is almost nice to have temporary license to think a little bit crazy. Hoping, my writing makes any sense, I can not tell.

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for sending prayers for me. After having been in the emergency room for a few days a month ago, I’ll so blessed to have a chance at this while so many people in the hospital are really in tuff shape with little chance of making it.

Thank you, everyone for the opportunity to Learning and sharing tree adventures with all of you. It has been provided me such great adventure and I’m looking forward to keeping them going for a few more years at least. This area has a spathering of late apple dropping genes that if could be combined with other late apple dropping genes for other areas using linebreeding as is done with our daylilies could be really something special! We could feed our deer apples thru the rut and even the winter. Together we all can do this, together. We can, WE CAN. Combining our best of the best apple varieties (the top of .001) is a goal that the we and likely us together can accomplish.

We will. It is almost nice to have temporary license to think a little bit crazy. Hoping, my writing makes any sense, I can not tell.

A few more years?

Dont even think about leaving us,Chainsaw

bill

Wishing you all a great hunting season. Have been off the forum since Sept.11. Down due to a found brain tumor. Was unable to respond to any electronic communication and of course could not be swinging from trees to cut requested scions. I wife posted more in
deerhunterforum and it took me a month to get habitat forum to posted. So many people have helped by get thru the, I am so blessed.

just everyone know I that I appreciate all and am joying every day and doing as much habitat improvements ever. Both of these forums have been a source of joy to be. It is for just not possible to write online. worst of my brain is working and has improved from early September. Word signals are a difficulty for now.

I‘ll be back ASAP.
Sorry to hear that bud! I sincerely hope everything goes well for you my friend, wishing you well and as always look forward to your posts!

Chainsaw -
You and Ryan from Blue Hill have lots of trees yet to find, grab scion from, and graft so they can be planted in many states. More prayers coming, Dave - so hang in there, friend. Don't fuss over your wording here - we can get the drift of what you're saying. It'll get better with time - concentrate on getting well.

I have a couple varieties of your trees through Blue Hill ................ so thank-you for sharing them with us.

All the best wishes coming with prayers.

Prayers out to you Chainsaw!

I just read the news….wishing you the best chainsaw. Really enjoy reading your posts and sharing info. Hope all is going well.

So you don’t use any of the apples? I planted a fe apple trees, found a couple of old ones, one that I did some serious trimming on (badly needed, dead wood, branch on the ground in mud). I do have a press but I also want to make sure the deer get their fill as well. I guess I need to plant more:). I do have some at the house I can use too, then on my hunting property I guess I can leave for the deer, although my wife really likes apples.

Am looking forward to hearing how you make out with your apple grafting onto the larger rootstocks Sandbur.

Received and planted the order of 11 trees from Fedco nursery, Clinton Maine which completed the planting of all previously ordered 2020 fruit trees. Then an order for habitat trees got cancelled by the county due to the virus so I ordered another box of apple trees from Northern Whitetail Crabapple PA. which is scheduled for delivery the middle of this coming week.

Yesterday, fertilized most of the planted 2020 planted trees with 1/2 lb of triple 19. All fertilizer was premeasured and bagged prior to heading to the field and it was spread completely outside of the 3 ft. square weed mats. Also applied 350 lbs of Urea yesterday to mature apple trees at the rate of 2 lbs. per tree(again measured and pre-bagged previously). That fertilizing effort didn't take all day but it used up a full days energy as there was a lot of walking and fertilizing throwing exercise. Two pounds seemed like a paltry amount to spread around the larger apple trees in the up to 24 inch DBH range but we'll do it again in a month if conditions are favorable to it and will see how the tree reacts throughout the season and plan next seasons fertilizing efforts based on those reactions.

As described earlier in the thread hundreds of Turning Point Apple Tree seeds were planted directly in the ground in December and hundreds more were planted in jugs throughout the winter. The weather last week has been hitting in the twenties most nights so when fertilizing was done for the day I figured it would be interesting to check the seedbeds and jugs to find out what if anything was happening. In the garden where 600 seeds had been planted in about one sq. yard three apple seedlings were beginning to emerge. They were just tiny hints of green at this point--nothing exciting there.

Then I checked the jugs;
View attachment 29242
and more jugs;
View attachment 29243
Starting daylily seeds in jugs is something that has worked well here over the last few years here and most of the jugs pictured have daylilies in them but some were planted with apple seeds during the winter to see if they too could use this very easy no maintenance seed starting method. Apple seeds were planted on and off throughout the winter, watered and then placed out in the snowbanks. Notice they are against rock piles, that is done to keep them from blowing away and I'm guessing the rocks may hold some of the suns heat. Not sure about the heat part affecting anything but it makes for a good place out of the way of driving and mowing to leave the jugs which will stay there until the resultant seedlings are planted in mid may thru June or even later depending on available time. The jugs are only watered that one time and never again and a few holes have been drilled into the bottom area for drainage. This is a closeup of what the jugs look like unopened; Notice the jug is fully sealed except the caps are discarded and the top is not covered in any way. The rain and snow must get in to keep them hydrated.
View attachment 29246
Normally the jugs aren't even looked at until mid May but I am opening these to inspect them and will them reseal them and put them back into their previous rock pile locations.
Here the tape has been removed from three random apple seedling jugs exposing the apple seedlings;
View attachment 29247
I find it amazing that there is no sign of frost damage whatsoever despite it having been cold enough during the week that water in buckets froze hard and stayed frozen some days throughout the day warmups which reached up to 45 degrees and last week it had snowed twice and rained once besides. The snow did not accumulate. The brown/dead material on the top of some seedlings is I believe the seed covering. Outside they would have fallen off but inside the jug though the jug is out in the weather it evidently stays calm enough that some of the seed pod coverings stay on. So the apple seedlings jugs have been resealed around the cut middle with duct tape and are back outside now. So far so good. WE'll take another status look around May 15 of both in the jugs planting and the direct in the ground planting.
How did you grow these from seed? Just pull seeds from apples, plant in soil and let it go?

My next-door neighbor said to me while out working in our yards, "For the last few years it seems as though winter & cold is hanging on later and later in the spring, and the warm weather hangs on later & later into the fall. It seems like the seasons are shifting." I have to say, in our region of the country, that seems accurate.

I remember as a kid having our first snow each year in NC Pa. in October, wearing long underwear & several layers of clothes to go out "trick-or-treating" on Halloween. Anymore, when rifle deer season starts around the end of November or first of December, we can find ourselves wearing jeans and a sweatshirt instead of bundling up for snapping-cold, as we always did. We still get very cold days, but the overall pattern seems to be changing.

It'll be interesting to see how fruit trees and vegetable crops are affected by shifting patterns and see-saw temperatures.
I was thinking the same thing!

We are expanding our lake Apple trees as possible as we physically can to our property. I am adding as many as possible as I can get done through my days on some days lots of work it’s done and some days just work just can’t get done but we’re gaining on it I get lots of help from friends and we’re of friends and fellow hunters. Ryan from Bluehill nursery has taught me more than he knows about taking care of Apple trees and life. Using the computer to talk to some blocker thingUsing your computer to talk to some kind of blocker thing I am able to share what little. My ideas and what is going on what are some great apple tree stuff At this time will be the first bunch of turning point trees to be planted on my property it took the first four or five years to get them started while they will have made them throughout in different places of the country but for now we’re putting on our property not. I have approximately 1000 in the nursery with half of the turning point trees and the rest of different ones of the late Trees. The picture below was taken in the last day or two showing one of the trees that will be put into the property areas.

Attachments

• CECB5EFC-27BD-47F6-8D8C-948B3BAEA4ED.jpeg
    CECB5EFC-27BD-47F6-8D8C-948B3BAEA4ED.jpeg
    699.3 KB · Views: 50
Wow, that looks great! That's a turning point?

Brandon know this was a not a turning point tree it’s just one of the newer trees that we have found or given to us from our friends. I will private you a message when I get to work to talk about turning point. .For now I am spending my day prepping getting ready to cutting mats

Good to hear from you Chainsaw and hope you are doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chainsaw -
I have a pair of Turning Point trees coming from Ryan at Blue Hill in April. Thanks for locating trees like Turning Point on your place and helping Ryan to share them with the rest of us. Good luck with the trees on your property that you're planting.
Best wishes and prayers for your continued recovery, Dave.

Chainsaw,

Thank you for all the great information and advice you have so generously provided here, and for making your Turning Point available to all of us thru Ryan at Blue Hill. I planted a couple of them last spring, along with several other varieties, and your Turning Points are clearly out-growing the rest of them!

Good to see Chainsaw posting

Prayers for recovery

May God bless you and your family

bill