Apple trees too close

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
So I have 4 apple trees that i planted 20 years ago that i bought at Walmart. Well I planted too close.They are probably 10-15 feet apart one direction and maybe 20 feet the other .They are too big of trees too move.Deciding what would be best,cut way back cut and stagger them so 3 have clearance on at least 1 side.

15 or 20 feet apart (trunk to trunk I'm assuming?) on semidwarf rootstocks or even full sized isn't horrible. Your trees may touch some, but it won't be severe overcrowding, and it should not significantly limit fruiting. I would do nothing if they are otherwise out in the open and not being shaded (and/or sucked dry) from another source, like a nearby woods.

Someone posted a picture here once of apple trees that were crowded more than that but still loaded with fruit. Maybe they will see this and post that pic again. I'm not saying that crowding is good, but I am saying that you can probably get by pretty well with more than is normally recommended.

Where people really go wrong with apple trees is getting them too close to a woods and big trees like oaks. Not only does it limit the sunlight too much, it also sucks all of the nutrients and moisture away from them.

They're planted in a 12'x20' rectangle?
SEND PICTURES. WE ALL WANT TO LAUGH WITH YOU.

My trees are 15x20 rows. They are full size. They should be fine. It isn’t ideal for maximum production per tree. Do yourself a favor, go tour a couple different apple orchards, they pack trees in where they are all touching, and their trees put out a lot of apples.

They may be closer than that.I also need to clean a shrub plot up that is now so big they are growing close.I will get some measurements and pictures.They do need pruned and this year all my apples are way down in production.I have moved way too many fruit trees that I have planted too close.Some because you could no longer see across field and some just because I could tell I screwed up and planted too close

As mentioned above some orchards have them pretty tight - butch them back to looking like an aggressively managed orchard tree like one of those scary harry potter looking trees and just enjoy the larger apples you get from them, see what happens after that. I know what your going through - if you let them just run wild and push up into one big clump you will eventually be down to one tree or no trees.

They're planted in a 12'x20' rectangle?
SEND PICTURES. WE ALL WANT TO LAUGH WITH YOU.
Speak for yourself. I want to laugh at him because I’ve been in those shoes. 😂

When I first started planting them in 2008 the recommended 20’ spacing seemed ridiculous. Fast forward 14 years and whoopsie daisy, I done screwed up. :) now the trees are touching and too close to the woods. Live and learn. They still put out the fruit though so all is good.

Our high densities are 4ft apart and never reach over 8ft tall

I found the picture someone else posted of the two rows of crowded apple trees that I mentioned above. Look at Post #6 of the following thread. I rest my case....

It’s a very simple fix. Cut 2 down, plant 2 more. Sorry for your loss. LOL.

This is from the end,I am sure it would help to cut some of the 15ft tall shrub plot down to the far right.I guess I just planted to many things.Trunks are about 15ft apart

Attachments

• south apple trees.jpg
    south apple trees.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 34
Picture doesn't show it very well. But, from what I see, stick with what you got. They do look like they need some pruning in general. You want airflow. You do not want crossing branches, both by the same tree and between the trees. The smaller brnach ends can overlap a bit. But, anything crossing pass half way between the trees bigger than a thumb size should be pruned back. Anything that reaches out alot could break when filled with apples. Not sure if you need to prune the low ones away. If the wildlife are treating them fairly, I'd maybe pass on trimming anything major on the low.

General rule of thumb, about 10-15% winter or 15-20% in the summer you can prune. Again, anything crossing into another branch path, expecially new whips trying to be the top leader.

Are you tight for space for new/other trees to expand? Are they producing OK? Some tree chipper mulching, some fertilizer, and 5 gallons of water when they're in a dry spell goes a long way....