Apple trees budding ??

I just hope for ALL involved we don't get our buds popping early and then late frosts. - - - That didn't sound too good ....... did it ??:oops: Conjures up thoughts of other things .........

Thanks for the info, Maya.

Where is a piece of wood, some one beat it, .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you look at the long range forecast, yes it is going to be warm, but consistently warm. I don't see any wild swings.
My problem is I have frost into June.

BnB i was wondering if mine had opened yet. I was able to check several on sunday and not any buds on my old wild apples had opened. I did notice that terminal buds on some trees were really swollen and looked like they wanted to open bud had not.
But this warm streak may cause them to open way too early and then...zap!... we'll get three night below 25 in late march or april.

Last edited:
My problem is I have frost into June.
me too. One year i was up camp and left two windows slightly open on the night of june 7. Woke up early on the 8th because i was cold. Shut the windows and opened the door to look at the thermometer,...it read 28. I jumped back in bed. Then I said to myself, wait, that can't be correct. So I got out of bed and looked again but it was still 28. Lol

NP - When I was pruning on Monday - at camp - I saw that it was only the terminal buds that had started to open. The rest of the buds on the limbs all seemed fine. Maya said he always has some trees do the same thing, but it hasn't affected his trees at all. THAT was good to hear !! I hope we don't get a couple cold nights too. I'm anxious to see first fruit on another 6 or 7 trees this year - don't need any late cold snaps !!

Noticed all my crab apple varieties are just showing a bit of green in the buds yesterday. Generally our last frost is May 11th so I am guessing we are not going to fair well this year.

Yeesh, green buds already ah. We are in the middle of the 2nd day in a row in the 60s. It was 30s this weekend. Our extended forecast is crazy warm for the month of March. April is normal so I guess its just an early spring. I can't complain I hate the winter but for fruit trees its tricky.

Still tight silver tip here. Just sprayed dormant oil and copper today

Rain will be past us some time tomorrow I will be spraying Friday morning w/ oil.
What kind of oil are you spraying?

Dormant Oil (all season bonide), I have aphids so I'm gonna use it at noon today it was to cold this morning but it'll be primo by noon. Yee haw!
1406-960x960.jpg

Just ordered some, should be here on Sunday. Thanks!

Read the label and you can't spray captan for 10 days after using it

I'm not spraying captain until after pedal fall per or was that imidan. Dang you guys!

I'm not spraying captain until after pedal fall per or was that imidan. Dang you guys!
That's Imidan not Captan. If you are spraying Captan that will start at green top to 1/4 green I would invest in a fruit production guide from one of the universities that explain the integrated pest management process. Even if you limit your chemicals to Captan and Imidan you should be knowledgeable when to spray and when not to spray to save in chemicals and not put as many chemicals out there if not needed