Apple grafts

here is one of my whip and tongue grafts sorry a but blurrytongue.jpg

Looking good Aero! Hopefully I can get some pics taken and posted this week.

Well done Aero!

I just ordered 100 b.118 rootstocks for next spring!

thanks guys and the grafted trees I planted in their final place in June have done way better than the ones in root trappers in my back yard where I have been watering them as often as they needed. 2 of those trees are over 5 feet tall Here is a pic of 6 of the 7 I planted in June and one of the Zestar that I got from you Ed is doing great alsografted1.jpg

Here is a pic of them after they were first planted
grafted2.jpg

Going with Cummins again?

Yeah, i was going to order from that place in Washington (williamette?) to change it up and I think they're a little cheaper, but I do like Cummins and would just assume give them my business.

Willamette's site has shown a message "check back later this summer for ordering information" for a long time. Lady told me last year you needed to order by July to guarantee delivery. Hard to do when you arent taking orders! I will order fom Cummins as well again this year.

Just checked Willamette again ... now they are taking orders!o_O Oh well they dont have anything in B118 left other than 1/8" rootstock for you guys anyhow. Now I am tempted to get some M106 though that is 3/16" grade. Cummins rootstock was larger than a lot of scions that I had last year.

Last edited:
Finally got a picture of one of the graft unions. From today (horse apple):

Thunter

That's a fine looking graft.

Paul (Aero)

That's some fine looking trees you have there.

Matt (Crazy Ed)

Just 100 B118's :D:D:D

Yes I will stake mine before the winter. The one is really swaying in the breeze

The trees I grew in 7 gallon roottrappers did much better than the trees I grew in the ground in my garden this year. Not sure what to tell ya but this was a much cooler growing season in my area, I think we had one day over 90 degrees. Last year we had many. The ground in my garden is also a lot heavier (clay). a violent hailstorm also did a number on my trees. I have tried to identified a few possible variables in my experiments.

Here's one I grew last year in a 7 gallon bag. I thought it looked great.

CameraZOOM-20131109103743033.jpg

My roots in 7 gallon Root trappers did great and were near the bottom of the bag. I laid mine on their side and rolled the bad to loosen the dirt then scooped the dirt with roots and put in hole. So far most trees are doing amazing with 3 with many brown spots that could be dying and are small. Not the root bag issue but the scion or rootstock. I will be using the rootrappers again next year and will go directly from graft to bag next year. By the way thanks for the compliment on my trees Matt. I am pleased for my first year grafting. Let's get some good scions for next winter !!!!

Wow awesome growth on the trees. Maybe I over watered mine this year based on what you said but they were on cement blocks so drained well and in full sun. Looks like 2 that I transplanted may be dead but I am still happy with my first attempt and have 25 new trees so far

I have the land open. I am going smaller roots to get more trees in to get more apples

I hope to get my 11 grafts planted in three weeks. I just measured the best one and it had 53" of growth from the graft. Over the next two weekends I need to mow and then measure and stake where I will be planting apple trees next year (spring and fall planting). I was thinking of buying some flags that are similar to those used to mark utility lines. I think the local Farm & Fleet sells thin metal markers with bright plastic flags. Unless things go bad with my grafting next year, I will be adding 66 trees (36 from Cummins for the spring + 30 grafts for the fall) - hoping to have about 115 in this particular location by the fall of 2016.

Here is a pic of grafted trees I planted in June. I planted all 7 in one daygraft1.jpg

Here is a pic of grafted trees (6) I planted in the end of August. One seems to have died but 12 of the 13 doing great
graft2.jpg

Here is a pic of grafted trees (6) I planted in the end of August. One seems to have died but 12 of the 13 doing great
View attachment 2213

Aero, Your grafts are looking good - Looks like you have lots of space for expanding your orchard!