Apple grafts

I have one like that as well. Not sure there is a definite rule. I plan on leaving mine for awhile yet. I have to admit that gap in the middle is one reason I dont like cleft grafts, though I did use that method this year and have had good success with it so far. Seems like a long term weak spot where the gap is. It would be nice to see a study of tree health and durability of the graft as it relates to the grafting method as a tree matures.

Now that scares me as I have mine in my yard on a patio ledge and I guess the deer can come down to the lake and eat mine which seems unlikely but you never know. That really sucks

I guess I was wrong. This article explains that one must be removed or it won't heal over properly. Near the bottom of the article .

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/propagation/cleftgrafting/cleftgrafting.html
I see that. I would like to see a further explanation. I can see leaving them long term as being a problem. You would not want two barked surfaces growing into each other, that would form a weak area. I cant see how short term 2-3 months would be an issue. I am not an expert though.

I brought 4 of mine home the other day and been keeping an eye on them. Three of them have started putting out new growth on the sprouts off the graft so looks like they might make it.

I checked my grafts out tonight and it looks like I have about 10/25 that will do alright. For the rest do I just let the rootstock grow and then try and regraft this fall or next spring? Or, do I just suck it up and plant them as rootstocks and let them take over?

I checked my grafts out tonight and it looks like I have about 10/25 that will do alright. For the rest do I just let the rootstock grow and then try and regraft this fall or next spring? Or, do I just suck it up and plant them as rootstocks and let them take over?

let the rootstock grow and tbud them in August.

how long will buds that are t budded now take to give new growth? Does anyone have any info on this ?

how long will buds that are t budded now take to give new growth? Does anyone have any info on this ?

You have to give them enough time to callus just the same as when bench grafting. I have read multiple times where people force them at 3 weeks. Otherwise they leave the buds resting and next spring Ma Nature wakes them up.

So do you know if the bud takes this year or do you find out next spring?

From what I have heard and read the leaf stem that you leave attached to the bud piece will dry up and fall off if the bud takes.

I did one tbud early August last year and it grew about 6". I did 4 more just after labor day and they did not grow at all until this spring. They are all over 12" of growth this year and look great. I had 90 success with 10 tbuds. I did 2 buds per root. all but one made it. super easy to tbud.

Your trees are looking exactly like mine in those 7 gallon root trappers. I have some with 18 inches growth and some with one inch. Crazy thing!!!

I have 32 that have growth and 7 of those were grafted 2 times so I really have 32 for 45 which I am happy with since its my first attempt 9 are already in their final planting spot and doing good. I have been able to water them regularly and mother nature has also cooperated

Looks good. I did not try to put 2 clefts in a rootstock. I have enough trouble getting one in lol

what did you use for rootstock?

If I try more grafting next year, I was wondering what rootstock to use for the north country.

Last edited:
You guys have some nice grafts. My longest is maybe 5"s. Most are only a couple inches. I hope mine are going to live. I just removed all the buds from the rootstock so hopefully they will catch up.

I did a few W&T but for me the clefts were easy and I got good alignment

I'd say either antonovka or B118 would be good for Minnesota.
Are there any concerns about winter hardiness of B 118 in zone 3?

Has anyone used dolgo rootstock and if so, how long to bearing age?

I do have trees antan that have been in the ground for 20 plus years and just added some B 118's at the zone 3-4 location.

I was wondering more so about zone 3.

I went with b118 rootstock

Dipper,

Did you do whip and tongue or cleft grafts?

All mine were clefts. I had mostly smaller scions so the clefts worked out better for me. I tried a few test W&Ts but couldn't get the angles and the back cuts right so I stayed with the clefts.
W&T mostly, did 2 clefts neither made it. I maybe didn't make the graft big enough. My W&T are about 80%, I think that's pretty good for someone who's only done about 50 total grafts.