Anyone tried sequin?

Lee hall

A good 3 year old buck
I got some of these from the wildlife group last year and again this year. Almost all of them were very small last year but some still bloomed. This year they were much larger and both this years batch and last years batch are all blooming. It seems they bloom when they grow. Last year some hit growth spurts three separate times and bloomed each time. None made nuts but they are nearly all blooming this year so maybe I'll get some pollination. Just wondering if anyone else has planted them and what your experiences are with these trees. I also know it's non native but it was either here or in the fruit tree section.

5186D7B6-30C3-410F-A1D4-0A5065D680F1_zpsum5x8ksb.png
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums...6-30C3-410F-A1D4-0A5065D680F1_zpsum5x8ksb.pngHope these come through. These are a couple I planted in pots this year. They are growing well and are just beginning to flower.

I got some of these from the wildlife group last year and again this year. Almost all of them were very small last year but some still bloomed. This year they were much larger and both this years batch and last years batch are all blooming. It seems they bloom when they grow. Last year some hit growth spurts three separate times and bloomed each time. None made nuts but they are nearly all blooming this year so maybe I'll get some pollination. Just wondering if anyone else has planted them and what your experiences are with these trees. I also know it's non native but it was either here or in the fruit tree section.

I planted Sequins/Chinese Chinkapins last year. Mine made it through drought the year they were planted, so they're drought tolerant, but haven't had the moisture to grow. I've also planted Allegheny Chinkapin and expect similar results in terms of rapid growth and early nut production. I'm thinking that a Chinese Chinkapin is to an Allegheny Chinkapin as a Chinese Chestnut is to an American Chestnut. No blight, highly preferred mast, drought tolerant and early nut production in the form of a bush/small tree.

I've also heard of a Bush Chinkapin that produces a slightly larger nut than an Allegheny, and not sure if a Bush Chinkapin is a Sequin.

I got 5 of those tiny things from WG and all but one died. Don't know what I did wrong and the one that lived is still tiny after one season.

I checked mine again today. I was very impressed. Almost all 2 yr and 1 yr are blooming heavily. I had great growth from my allegheny the first couple of years but they seem to die off one by one each year. I planted probably. 40 allegheny and may have 6 left. Great looking trees die. I figure blight is my problem. However dunstans and Chinese chestnuts as well as DCO all seem to thrive and bloom year 3.

Native Hunter, nothing grew last year, to include fast growing trees. There wasn't enough water for anything to do well in the Missouri Ozarks, but mine survived. My Allegheny Chinkapin hasn't produced nuts since 2009, because it's so dry. However Sequin/Chinese Chinkapin made it the year they were planted. It was tubed and planted on the edge of Lumite in upland hardpan soil. I have great expectations. My Allegheny Chinkapin grew like crazy and produced in two years.............. before the droughts on 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. I expect Chinese Chinkapin to do the same. AND, when it produces seed, I'll be growing a lot more :-) That's educated speculation based on what Allegheny Chinkapin does under normal growing conditions... what Chinese Chinkapin does is yet to be seen.

I spent years trying to locate Chinese Chinkapin! It wasn't available anywhere until Wildlife Group offered it for sale at a reasonable price for such a rare species. I would buy more, but it'll be more fun producing my own from nuts I grew.

Native Hunter, nothing grew last year, to include fast growing trees. There wasn't enough water for anything to do well in the Missouri Ozarks, but mine survived. My Allegheny Chinkapin hasn't produced nuts since 2009, because it's so dry. However Sequin/Chinese Chinkapin made it the year they were planted. It was tubed and planted on the edge of Lumite in upland hardpan soil. I have great expectations. My Allegheny Chinkapin grew like crazy and produced in two years.............. before the droughts on 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2013. I expect Chinese Chinkapin to do the same. AND, when it produces seed, I'll be growing a lot more :) That's educated speculation based on what Allegheny Chinkapin does under normal growing conditions... what Chinese Chinkapin does is yet to be seen.

I spent years trying to locate Chinese Chinkapin! It wasn't available anywhere until Wildlife Group offered it for sale at a reasonable price for such a rare species. I would buy more, but it'll be more fun producing my own from nuts I grew.

Thanks brushpile. I had these at home and watered regular as needed. They looked good for a while and then just died. I noticed on the other forum that Crimson had great luck with his.

Every Chinese Chestnut I have ever planted has thrived - including the ones at the farm that never got watered except for rain. It was probably just one of those fluky things for me with the Sequins. I will try again someday and maybe have better luck.

Mine were ordered in the Fall and Fall planted. That gave them the best chance to get roots before Summer Drought. Chinkapins are hard to raise in pots, because they don't like too much water!

I'm right with you brushpile. I've had great success growing other chestnut varieties from seed and hope the early production will give me a chance for some quick turnaround. I wish I could grow allegheny but every time mine flower they die. I have them interplanted so maybe one day I'll get the good traits from both in a few generations

What's ironic brushpile is that I have had the opposite problem as what you have had, my 11&12 plantings all died from drought. Then the ones that survived the drought died last winter, spring and summer and this winter from flooding. I have learned more about soils and hydrology in 6 years with habitat plantings than I have learned my entire life living on this farm.

I'm right with you brushpile. I've had great success growing other chestnut varieties from seed and hope the early production will give me a chance for some quick turnaround. I wish I could grow allegheny but every time mine flower they die. I have them interplanted so maybe one day I'll get the good traits from both in a few generations

Does the ent
What's ironic brushpile is that I have had the opposite problem as what you have had, my 11&12 plantings all died from drought. Then the ones that survived the drought died last winter, spring and summer and this winter from flooding. I have learned more about soils and hydrology in 6 years with habitat plantings than I have learned my entire life living on this farm.

I've tried and failed with many plants. Certain things grow in certain locations, and on my place 20' makes a big difference, so Chestnuts grow where they grow and that's not everywhere. I started with a shotgun approach and subsequent plantings were where they grew best. I have an area that's seasonaly muddy, but bone dry in Summer. Bur Oak will tolerate that, and produce acorns as soon as 5 years, but that's MDC Bur Oak grown in Missouri.

Same here except on this old flat land most places that aren't in ag are wet. I did the same shotgun approach. Every year I try to home in on the best places per species. Sequin doesn't like wet feet at all but on decently well drained soil it grows great. I also planted some burs from Mdc this year and they are just starting to bud.

Last edited:
Because they don't like wet feet, it's hard to grow chinkapins in pots, where the soil is too wet when watered, and gets too dry between waterings. Chinkapins are small chestnuts, and will grow well where Chestnuts grow. There is a striation on a slope that can't be seen, except that Chestnuts grow well on it, but not above or below it. Above it is too dry, and below it is too wet. I can't grow a grove of Chestnuts, because they only do well in certain locations. With Chinkapins and Chestnuts, too dry is better than too wet, unless too dry turns into drought.

Here are a few pictures of one of my second year sequins with burrs that seem to be filling out

Here is a first year sequin with burrs on it already.

I believe I will be planting the Chinese cousin of the sequin. I have read of to many guys having them die out. One can only assume it is blight. I like the idea of the native species but I cant stand the thought of watering something for a couple yrs then having it die on me. This fall I plan to focus on Chinese Chinkapin, Dwarf Chinkapin Oaks and hope to pick up some crabs on clearance at the box stores...

Those are the Chinese chinquapin or sequin. Almost all my allegheny chinquapin have died mysteriously. I think it must be blight. I've also been planting DCO. Here is a picture of one of mine in its third year. I beleive these are the makings of acorns.

Great job! I'm seeing payoff already.

Anywhere a fellow could come up with some nuts or bare root plants this time of the year?

Not that I know of. I ordered mine bare root from the wildlife group.

I would like to set up some in air pruning pots to get them going if I could find some.