Anyone tried sequin?

Allen said that they had bad germination of seeds this year. But they should have some more sequins next year.

That's good to hear.

Thanks,

Jack

Germination seems to be a common thread in the failure to propagate this tree

bill

You know, I had great result on propagating these. I just cold stratified like chestnuts. The one problem was growing them in pots. they really like well drained soil. Its a hard thing to watch, not over watering and not under watering.

Germination seems to be a common thread in the failure to propagate this tree

bill

I'm not quite ready to go that far. In my case, it was clearly the wrong nuts (Henri I think, with mold) sent from Schumacher. Allen is running a commercial enterprise. His poor germination comment may simply mean that they didn't have enough germination to meet demand and need a year of rebuilding their supply.

I'll know better in a couple months after I've had an opportunity to work with fresh nuts (the right ones) that I collected and stored myself. I doubt these are any harder to germinate than chestnuts. I will say that I plan to be very careful with water. I found that when I water ACs at the same rate as chestnuts, they tend to get carrot root much faster. I'm guessing that with a small nut, they don't get the same jumpstart that chestnuts get and grow much slower and therefore consume less water meaning damper medium for longer periods than chestnuts.

I'm looking forward to starting Seguins this winter. I have lots of ACs I plan to start as well.

Thanks,

Jack

I am really curious to see if Allen is gonna off these next spring. Pretty weird. He posted several videos bragging about how awesome they are. I suspect their seed batch got moldy. Anyone talk to Allen recently about this?

Just to report back on mine: I was working with apples in the basement and they got hit with some unknown disease that killed many. Basically they were growing gang busters and suddenly all the leaves and green stem went limp and they eventually died. There was one of these sick apple trees touching my seguins I got from Alan. They all apparently caught the same disease and died. I eventually cut them off at the base and they were completely dead. I'm hoping the roots will put up a new shoot but no luck so far.

Of the seguins I collected from them last year, 5 germinated and grew and eventually got transplanted into 1 gal RB2s. Four of the 5 eventually got this same disease. They were physically on the other end of the basement. I have one left alive that is currently being acclimated to the outdoors.

I may try to get a few more from Allen and try again if he starts selling them again. I'm less sanguine on them now that I see they are susceptible to some disease common in my area...

Thanks,

Jack

Just to report back on mine: I was working with apples in the basement and they got hit with some unknown disease that killed many. Basically they were growing gang busters and suddenly all the leaves and green stem went limp and they eventually died. There was one of these sick apple trees touching my seguins I got from Alan. They all apparently caught the same disease and died. I eventually cut them off at the base and they were completely dead. I'm hoping the roots will put up a new shoot but no luck so far.

Of the seguins I collected from them last year, 5 germinated and grew and eventually got transplanted into 1 gal RB2s. Four of the 5 eventually got this same disease. They were physically on the other end of the basement. I have one left alive that is currently being acclimated to the outdoors.

I may try to get a few more from Allen and try again if he starts selling them again. I'm less sanguine on them now that I see they are susceptible to some disease common in my area...

Thanks,

Jack
Jack I think I experienced the same thing! I had 5 in root trapper bags. All but one died over this winter. An as you described they were growing great last growing season. I planted the last one at the farm in a fertile pocket where my best chestnut trees are growing. Sure hope it makes it. Not sure what the deal is with these things. Got to be something to it. Maybe as simple as what others mentioned about them not liking the wet roots in the trapper bags.

Jack I think I experienced the same thing! I had 5 in root trapper bags. All but one died over this winter. An as you described they were growing great last growing season. I planted the last one at the farm in a fertile pocket where my best chestnut trees are growing. Sure hope it makes it. Not sure what the deal is with these things. Got to be something to it. Maybe as simple as what others mentioned about them not liking the wet roots in the trapper bags.

I was very careful with watering mine in containers. I'm sure mine succumbed to some kind of disease. The death was sudden and symptoms identical to the apples that died.

Just to compare, I started a boatload of ACs under lights last winter. They are now in 1 gal RB2s. So many are doing well, I'll likely have to cull some of the slower growing ones. Whatever the disease was, they likely had the same exposure as the Seguins and none of them showed symptoms. My ACs are thriving this year.

552c2a20-f971-4acd-b83a-b54ecbe0a9be.jpg

c3d4627d-848e-4701-b1a8-175302995640.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting Jack. I hadn't wasted my time with AC's b/c concern of blight die off. After what we are seeing with the sequins maybe AC's are worth a try. DO you have any growing successfully on your ground? If so has blight been a problem? Also where do you get those pots?

Interesting Jack. I hadn't wasted my time with AC's b/c concern of blight die off. After what we are seeing with the sequins maybe AC's are worth a try. DO you have any growing successfully on your ground? If so has blight been a problem? Also where do you get those pots?

When chestnuts get blight, they don't produce nuts. ACs produce nuts much earlier than chestnuts because they are more of a shrub than a tree. I have them growing natively on my farm. I've been collecting nuts from my local trees and propagating them. They do get blight however, when they get blight, they die back to the roots and then the roots produce more shoots which produce nuts. They react the same way to fire. Fire top kills established trees but the next spring they put up more shoots. From the time the roots put up shoots, I see nuts in about the 3rd growing season.

The root pruning containers I'm using are from Rootmaker. There are a lot of other brands out there. Dr. Whitcomb did the research on root pruning and designed the Rootmaker containers. The brand doesn't matter but it is important that whatever root pruning container system you use conforms to the research. I got my first set of containers to experiment with from John at BigRockTrees. He sells them retail. Once I was convinced I wanted to go the root pruning route verses direct seeding, I established a commercial account and bought them in quantity directly from Rootmaker.

For starting trees from nuts, I like the Express Tray 18s as the first stage. They are good for 12-16 weeks. I then transplant them to 1 gallon Rootbuilder II containers. When they are full of roots I transplant to 3 gal Rootbuilder II containers and then to the field.

Rootmaker has a number of different container types. I like the RB2 containers because they unwrap from around the root ball and it completely undisturbed when transplanting or planting in the field. They will last many years. I like the Express Trays over the original 18s for a couple reasons. First, the cells are made of heavier plastic that will last many more seasons than the original which are more brittle and can crack. Second, you can reorganize the cells in the express containers. This lets me organize them by height and adjust my fluorescent lights at an angle so they are equidistant from all the trees.

Hope this helps Jordon.

Thanks,

Jack

I bought 6 small bare root seedlings a few years ago.They're still pretty small, less than 3 foot, and healthy, and they do produce a few nuts. No sign of disease yet. I'm hoping they are just slow starters and they take off soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I bought 6 small bare root seedlings a few years ago.They're still pretty small, less than 3 foot, and healthy, and they do produce a few nuts. No sign of disease yet. I'm hoping they are just slow starters and they take off soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mine were very slow growers. They were in 3 gal RB2s at home where I could give them superior care. I was impressed that they produced nuts in the first growing season I had them but the vegetative growth was minimal. I think they will be very slow growers in my native clay soil at the farm if I can ever get them established. As long as they are producing nuts I'm ok with a small shrub. This year, they looked like they were going to produce a good crop of nuts. They had already developed a lot of catkins compared to last year when they were hit by that disease.

Thanks,

Jack

Just started 6 trays with seeds from Schumacher( I know.....i was 0for 40 2 years ago)in Pro-mix HP

These were stratified for 80 days and all seemed viable by float test(before and after stratification)

These seeds were in much better shape this time. Last batch were moldy with many floaters.

time will tell

bill

Just started 6 trays with seeds from Schumacher( I know.....i was 0for 40 2 years ago)in Pro-mix HP

These were stratified for 80 days and all seemed viable by float test(before and after stratification)

These seeds were in much better shape this time. Last batch were moldy with many floaters.

time will tell

bill

Hope you have better luck than me. I have one left alive.

Hope you have better luck than me. I have one left alive.
I planted 10 AC from va Dept of forestry. All but 1 leafed out but with all this rain, all but 1 are not making it. I read they don’t like wet feet so I planted on a side of a hill for drainage but I guess it is still too much. Oh well. I will try again next year.

I planted 10 AC from va Dept of forestry. All but 1 leafed out but with all this rain, all but 1 are not making it. I read they don’t like wet feet so I planted on a side of a hill for drainage but I guess it is still too much. Oh well. I will try again next year.
I'm actually quite surprised how well mine are doing so far this year. They are on my lower deck acclimating to the sun. We have had a lot of rain lately. I can't remember the last time I watered trees this spring. I kind of expected to have wet feet issues but the combination of the RB2s and medium must be well enough drained.

Thanks,

Jack

Baby sequin seedlings starting to sprout . I placed them in RM18s outdoors May 27

Any concern with sun exposure this time of year?

Chestnuts sprout here from seed in March and I am less concerned as sun exposure is not as direct

i don't want to burn them

This is first time in two tries that I have successfully had germination with sequins

Anyone else start seed in 18s this time of year? Thoughts?
Thanks,
bill

Bill,

Glad to see you had some success! I find the biggest issue with respect to sun in the chestnut family is the sudden exposure of leaves. They are sensitive to sun scald if they are started indoors or moved from shade to sun. Once acclimated to full sun I have not had any issues with them in full sun provided they get the water they need. In the field in uncontrolled conditions, my chestnuts seem to do better if they get some full sun but some shade. This is likely because of the harshness of the totality of the environment and sun is just one factor. I say this because I have no issues at home with full sun in containers once acclimated. When I overwinter chestnuts in my cold room, if I don't wake them up early indoors and move them outdoors in full sun while still dormant, I have no issues with full sun either.

RM18s are hard to get watering right. That is especially true when they are used outdoors. If you have the option, I'd suggest growing them in at least filtered shade. You may sacrifice a small amount of growth if they don't have full sun but that is much better than the alternative. Keep a close eye on watering. After twelve weeks (or maybe even a little less) I'd transplant them to 1 gal RB2s or the equivalent. They are easier to get the water right than 18s.

I'd overwinter them in the 1 gals and then move them to full sun next spring after your last threat of frost but before they break dormancy. That way the leave will have natural sun exposure when forming.

The seguins I got from the Wildlife Group were put in 3 gal RB2s when I received them and they were dormant. I woke them up early the first year indoors and they even formed catkins under lights. When I acclimated them to the outdoors, they responded pretty much the same as both chestnuts and ACs.

Thanks,

Jack

As I said further up in this thread I had most of my 1 year old AC that I planted this year leaf out and then die out.

Should I just yank these when order more or is there any chance they may leaf out next year?