Anyone measuring brix?

homegrownbucks

5 year old buck +
I am going to start paying attention to this starting this year, is anyone monitoring their brix level in their plots?

I am going to start paying attention to this starting this year, is anyone monitoring their brix level in their plots?
That's a new one on me. What is brix?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I routinely check my garden veggies. Will start looking a plot cultivars as they get a bit more mature.

Look over at the deer hunter forum. DGallow has very interesting info on brix testing.

Thanks, I check in over there but must have missed it

Brix was originally a measure of sugar content in a liquid used in the juice, dairy and beverage companies. The refractometer is a quick way for the worker to get a brix reading without having to wait for a lab test. In the beverage industry the use it to check end of fermentation as it gives you the amount of unfermented sugars. Juice industry uses it to check proper concentrate level. Dairy plants would use to check % solids when evaporating milk or whey. Most companies make there own charts to use with more advanced lab equipment. Every liquid is different and requires a chart to compare to. A Miller Lite would have a different chart than say Bud Lite.

What use it has for food plotters I don't know, Do they corrolate the measurements to % protein, fat content, or just to the calories of the plant? All of those change quite a bit as a plant matures.

brix readings even change based on time of day and where the energy flow is. I use the readings to check nutrient levels. The readings can also give you an overview of soil quality as obviously soil quality effects sugar levels in plants hence nutrient levels. There are charts available that show ranges for various plants from poor to excellent.