Anyone know the value/price of campers?

tooln

5 year old buck +
The wife wants to get a camper to put at the property. We found a 1995 22' Fleetwood Prowler in really really good shape. It has 2 gas tanks, stove, fridge, shower & AC. They are asking $4800. Any comments/suggestions.

Last edited:
seems high. I came across 2 30 ft'rs for 3-4K in the past 6 months. One may still be for sale if you wanna take a road trip:) Clean as a whistle

Seems like lotsa older stuff available out there....and bargains abound. I'd look for a good brand and maybe try to get fiberglass skin on it (?). Condition is about everything when they get older. Seems like lotsa bang for the buck when you figure a refrigerator, stove, furniture, a heating and water system, and an AC, etc. Still.....a group of hunting guys can trash them pretty quickly.

Also Inspect the roof really well on the older ones. They can be a headache if the roof is not in top shape.

Also Inspect the roof really well on the older ones. They can be a headache if the roof is not in top shape.
The roof is one of the top concerns, but in having considered this many times myself and still continuing to investigate these avenues, I have come to the conclusion that a pole building with roof and no sides would help to keep the roof in good shape for years and a guy could store the camper under the awning when not in use. The one in the pic is WAAAYYYYY beyond what I am talking about, but similar to what I am referring too. If the poles were spaced properly or you used an I-beam to increase the span between poles, a guy could even use the rollout awning or slide outs if the camper was equipped with those. You wouldn't need the fancy floor/deck either, a simple gravel or even concrete slab would suffice. I think it could be done for minimal cost over a couple weekends.camper awning.JPG

Check out NADAguide RV pricing online. Plug in all the specifics the camper has and you'll get a fair market value. We spend a lot of time in a 5th wheel and truck camper. Check out the roof and all windows/doors to make sure the caulking has been maintained and there's no evidence of water damage.

Seems like lotsa older stuff available out there....and bargains abound. I'd look for a good brand and maybe try to get fiberglass skin on it (?). Condition is about everything when they get older. Seems like lotsa bang for the buck when you figure a refrigerator, stove, furniture, a heating and water system, and an AC, etc. Still.....a group of hunting guys can trash them pretty quickly.

Agree, plus it's almost instantaneous. I'd like to get a unit at my place. I have not looked at units and was wondering what is a good brand?

Picking it up tomorrow $3500.

A 95 model is about the right age for everything to start going wrong. Roofs and the gas fridge are the 2 major problems. With that being said, at $3,500 you ain't paying much. Congrats!

Now figure out how to keep the mice out. They are the number one problem with campers its seems like!:mad:

tooln, if the propane fridge goes out don't waste your money on replacing it with another propane one, they are expensive. Go get yourself a compact electric one designed for apartments or dorms. If this will be your base camp and not your tow around rig, you can be very creative with modifications.

And get a couple cans of great stuff expandable foam to seal up any holes around pipes, wires, etc... underneath the trailer.

Two lifetimes ago.....during the seventies the RV industry really exploded....and lots of brands developed almost overnight. I sold most of the seamed roofing material that went on mobile homes in the midwest.....and lots that went on RV's. Literally millions of lbs of material. Rubber roofing wasn't yet avaialbe and one-piece widths were prohibitively expensive. Fibreglass was not used too often in those times. The steel roofing actually had stronger seams than the aluminum roofing.....but many put the aluminum roofs on the trailers due to weight. The seams were made with a bit of adhesive/sealer....that wasn't too effective for the long haul. We likely had the best roofing product made.....but even that wasn't perfect.

The double acme seams are prone to leaks as well as any seams around the roof vents, AC, and along the edges where it was joined with an aluminum edge extrusion. Too many seams - it's just the nature of the beast. Spending some time with a good quality roof coating can solve problems......but most of those old roofs have been coated a number of times before and it's hard to get a good seal over all the old......or a variety of other things seem to be an issue. If you don't have a leaker....you will have one if you don't spend some time on that roof.

If the roof leaks, even just a little.....water gets into the sidewalls and it never really dries out. The wooden frames are then subject to rot and decay. MANY of those older campers have rotten sidewalls.

During those times......I also sold (to the OEM's) allot of 3 way refrigerators and gas appliances, as well as doors, windows, roof coatings, aluminum roll-formed siding, extrusions, and a whole host of putty tape, sealants and roof coatings to that industry. The company I worked for likely had more dollars invested in some of those brands....than the brands themselves. ;)

Over time the better brands seemed to cure some of the leak problems.....but I think it's still somewhat of a problem even today. But I'm soo out of date on this stuff.

When you see those old tires up on top of a mobile home (to stop the rumbling in the wind).....think of me. ;) :D:eek:

I am trying to figure out what foggy hasn't done???? :eek:

That's some good info :)

I am trying to figure out what foggy hasn't done???? :eek:

That's some good info :)

Grin. I had 12 "careers"......and I am getting old. ;)

This thing is I mint condition. Whoever has owned it over the years sure did take care of it. It has every piece of paper work that came with it when purchased new. I even thought about sending in some of the warranty cards to see what kind of response I'd get. Not much sleep today so work is going to suck tonight. Sound like I need to have Foggy over to give it the once over.

Looks great! Should give you many years of use.

I think the older TT's without the slide-outs are better to own. The slide-outs are prone to leaks and maintenance IMO. I believe the Prowler was made by Fleetwood Ind. They were / are a large builder and they know how to screw those parts together. Probably as good of a brand as any. Good luck!