Anyone growing rutabaga?

Tap

5 year old buck +
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Well, I just planted some last weekend, But i got my info from Grandpa Rays website. Also bought my Rutabaga seed from Grandpa Rays. Read his info on his website thought I would give it a try. Mixed it with some Kale seed as well. You can go to Deerbuilder.com and read the posts from the Nutritionist, he talks about rutabaga being more palatable then turnips and other benefits. The Nutritionist, and Grandpa Ray Seeds Company are the same person.

Reactions: Tap
Well, I just planted some last weekend, But i got my info from Grandpa Rays website. Also bought my Rutabaga seed from Grandpa Rays. Read his info on his website thought I would give it a try. Mixed it with some Kale seed as well. You can go to Deerbuilder.com and read the posts from the Nutritionist, he talks about rutabaga being more palatable then turnips and other benefits. The Nutritionist, and Grandpa Ray Seeds Company are the same person.

Thanks jersy

I am also planting rutubagas from Grandpa Ray outdoors. John, the owner of Grandparayoutdoors is very knowledgable and will answer all your questions, I went to a test plot of his and saw the difference in growth between rutabagas and turnips. Another brassica he is high on is winfred brassicas, I planted a strip last year and deer hammered it. In a few weeks I am planting rutabagas, radishes and winfred.

How did these turn out? I am thinking about doing this next year, does anyone know the characteristics of them and do they grow big bulbs. Any info would be great.

They turned out great, yes they grow big bulbs and the deer are demolishing right now.

They turned out great, yes they grow big bulbs and the deer are demolishing right now.
Did you notice any difference in rutabaga use compared to other brassicas (turnip, radish, etc)?
My wife loves rutabaga and eats a couple each week. I guess I'll have to cage some just for her!
I'm gonna grow some next year. I need to contact Grandpa Ray for seed and growing tips.
Thanks for the help.

Scoot, aren't rutabagas a 80 to 100 day crop? I would think they wouldn't get anywhere near there full potential if you planted say August 1st. I suppose if they get big enough for your liking and enough to keep the deer happy that is all that matters.

I have used Winfred in my own 8 brassica concoction and it got pounded that year. Problem was I really didn't know what they were after. They ate it all.

I would have had to strip plant it to see what was favored and when. I can say for sure it was Daikon Radish early in the season and by October 15th everything else was fair game.

bump again, these seem easier and very palatable than say beets, but what's the negative? Seed cost?

I tried a acre of them last year. I thought I would follow up after last year's soybeans. I planted in spring and was hopeful that they would get a head start and choke out the weeds and I wouldn't have to do anything with them the rest of the year. Well, it didn't work at all.not sure what exactly happened beside the weeds taking over but by late summer there was not a rutabaga to be found. I tried this experiment after reading a article from a guy in Michigan that said this is what he does and it's his favorite food plot. In defense last year was the worst year I had with my other brassicas in 12 years. My property is 5hrs away so it is hard to monitor whats going on. I will stick with planting turnips,reddish, and rape in early July.

I grew a lot of them. What would you like to know?

Generally, they are more insect/disease tolerant/resistant than PPTs. They are more demanding of boron, and will suffer brown heart even at levels where PPTs are fine. With brown heart they will rot in winter before PPTs.
55730BC7-53BE-4710-8A98-C158CD4EBB28.jpeg

Rutabagas are intereting, but I see in the link to the sweedes that company also lists lucerne, and hmmm, it looks a lot like alfalfa, is a perennial legume, and one of their variety shows 100% still alive in a field 5 years after planting? Hello! might have to get my hands on some of that seed!

too funny, seems that seed is located in New Zealand, and happens to be a variety of Alfalfa, Here I thought I found something new.........

Last edited:
I grew a lot of them. What would you like to know?

Generally, they are more insect/disease tolerant/resistant than PPTs. They are more demanding of boron, and will suffer brown heart even at levels where PPTs are fine. With brown heart they will rot in winter before PPTs.
View attachment 28097
Just wondering what time of year you plant them? I see they are 180-220 days to maturity. I planted my in May in N WI. Also if you plant early, don't you have trouble with weeds?

Just wondering what time of year you plant them? I see they are 180-220 days to maturity. I planted my in May in N WI. Also if you plant early, don't you have trouble with weeds?

I planted Winfred with rye May 15 last year and the rye worked great to suppress weeds until the Winfred got tall enough and formed a canopy. I plan to do the same with the Rutabagas this year.

I’m going to give a soy Swede planting a shot this year in a couple of plots. I figure a broadcast into standing rye, crimp, and herbicide application should do the trick. If not I’ll start over early August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intriguing plant. May be worth a shot in an abandoned corner of the farm. See what happens

ok, who has found the best pricing on seed? Mind sharing??

$5 something or other a pound from welters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk