Any orthopedic guys?

Peeps

5 year old buck +
Dang it, here I am close to hunting time and I tweeked my knee tonight at work fighting with a resistive scum bag outside a bar. I felt some popping sensations followed by burning pain. Not the way I wanted to end my 17 hr shift. I iced it before going home. The pain is mostly on the outside back corner of my knee especially going up or down stairs. I’m hoping it is better when I get up today. Any ideas of what I screwed up.

do you feel like it is going to give out? meaning it is unstable.

outside of your knee.. defined as buttocks side (posterior) and if your hands are at your sides by your knee it would be considered that area. (lateral)

1. ice for 48 hours.
2. ice and heat alternate for 1 week.
3. I would recommend light duty for one week.
4. provide stabilization for the knee for 2 weeks. go to walgreens get a support.
5. start on a NSAID (ibuproffen) depending on your size. 600 mg BID. (twice a day)
6. see your local dr. ask for a methylprednisolone aka MEDROL pack to jump start this healing
7. on the medrol follow the doseage to the letter you start out 7 pills the first day then eventually one pill the last day.

the you described it makes me mildly concerned on the pop. but you were able to walk, so it's not as bad as you think. probably not ACL or MCL. you probably tore your LCL (lateral collateral ligment) sounds bad but not really that critical in your life. Unless you play for the packers. ;) You might have torn a little meniscus too?? Nothing too major. Not critical at this juncture of your life.

save the money and if this doesn't help, then get in and see someone. but my guess is you will be fine.

Work related injury during deer season, sounds good to me!

Work related injury during deer season, sounds good to me!
Until the insurance investigator gets photos of you in full camo with a climbing stand on your back.

Peeps, I hope you documented the injury last night. It may be nothing serious but it's always better to cover your ass in a situation like this. Get well soon. I hurt my wrist at work 10 weeks ago. X-rays were negative but the pain still persists.

Until the insurance investigator gets photos of you in full camo with a climbing stand on your back.

No, not really. When you are in LE, Doctors put you off work for anything it seems. They are afraid of liability if you aren't 110%. It keeps many of us from going to the doc because we know they'll put us off work. I fell off a ladder 2 weeks ago, and think I broke a rib, if I would have went to get it checked there is nothing they could do for it, but I guarantee they would put me off work. I was just joking in my earlier remark, or I'd be off work now for this rib. It's usually the other way around in our field, we are fighting to go back to work, and the insurance won't let us.

Agreed that the doctors commonly give extended time off and for this and other reasons injuries go unreported. At issue is the employers and the fact that their premiums rise based on the amount of workers comp claims. They and/or their insurance will hire investigators if they feel your "playing" the system. Claims reported after the fact are scrutinized much more than claims initiated immediately.

Peeps, I hope you documented the injury last night. It may be nothing serious but it's always better to cover your ass in a situation like this. Get well soon. I hurt my wrist at work 10 weeks ago. X-rays were negative but the pain still persists.

I filled out one of our injury reports with a supervisor rt away last night. There was a traffic camera that captured the whole thing on video as well as several body cameras. Not to mention all the ya whos with their cell phones out recording it.

I'm not a an orthopedist or even a physician, but I have had many knee issues from sports. The latest is a torn and pretty much worn out meniscus. If it was me, of course I'd RICE it because that certainly can't hurt regardless of the injury, however I would at least see my primary care physician for a clinical evaluation and probably see an orthopedist. Both my wife and I play sports. One thing we have both learned is that as we get older, we have more long-term problems with re-injury than the initial injury. When you have a weakened joint, unless you know what is going on with it, you can re-injure it easily and unknowingly by doing things you routinely do without issue otherwise. There are cases where a hinged brace and ensure stability during the healing process better than just the compression of a soft brace.

Also, use a physicians advice on using NSAIDS, even over the counter. For example at normal doses ibuprofen is just an analgesic but at high doses it becomes an anti-inflammatory (1600-1800 mg/day as I recall). However, at those high doses, it can reek havoc on your stomach. There are other anti-inflammatory NSAID like Celebrex that are easier on your stomach. If you have other medical conditions like a tendency toward stomach ulcers, you physician will know what NSAID will work best for you.

I have, with the arrogance of youth, not followed this advice. Some injuries that otherwise may have healed in a few weeks, became chronic. I know it is a pain in the butt, but go see your doctor.

Thanks,

Jack

I'm not a an orthopedist or even a physician, but I have had many knee issues from sports. The latest is a torn and pretty much worn out meniscus. If it was me, of course I'd RICE it because that certainly can't hurt regardless of the injury, however I would at least see my primary care physician for a clinical evaluation and probably see an orthopedist. Both my wife and I play sports. One thing we have both learned is that as we get older, we have more long-term problems with re-injury than the initial injury. When you have a weakened joint, unless you know what is going on with it, you can re-injure it easily and unknowingly by doing things you routinely do without issue otherwise. There are cases where a hinged brace and ensure stability during the healing process better than just the compression of a soft brace.

Also, use a physicians advice on using NSAIDS, even over the counter. For example at normal doses ibuprofen is just an analgesic but at high doses it becomes an anti-inflammatory (1600-1800 mg/day as I recall). However, at those high doses, it can reek havoc on your stomach. There are other anti-inflammatory NSAID like Celebrex that are easier on your stomach. If you have other medical conditions like a tendency toward stomach ulcers, you physician will know what NSAID will work best for you.

I have, with the arrogance of youth, not followed this advice. Some injuries that otherwise may have healed in a few weeks, became chronic. I know it is a pain in the butt, but go see your doctor.

Thanks,

Jack
Phhhh on the Non Steriodal. go right for the Medrol dose pack. 7 days and it's a whole new you! There is nothing wrong with a little jump start to your endocrine system. I would rather hit it hard right away rather than take the holistic approach of eating ginseng and tea leaves to cure it. Some of the greatest drugs are behind the counter, why not use them.

and for the record. Celebrex is not what I would take for this injury. Celebrex is OK, not a huge fan, but it's ok. If you choose to go to the non-steriodal which I highly recommend against doing, I would try volatren gel. Avoids popping yet ANOTHER pill and like Jack said NSAIDS are tough on the tummy.

Phhhh on the Non Steriodal. go right for the Medrol dose pack. 7 days and it's a whole new you! There is nothing wrong with a little jump start to your endocrine system. I would rather hit it hard right away rather than take the holistic approach of eating ginseng and tea leaves to cure it. Some of the greatest drugs are behind the counter, why not use them.

My point was not to recommend any particular NSAID or prednisone for that matter. I was simply contrasting some characteristics of different NSAIDs suggesting that treatment is best individualized by a physician that knows your personal situation. I've had issues with steroids as well. Even greater than NSAIDs, they tend to mask symptoms increasing the likelihood of re-injury if you are not careful. While we can talk in general terms here, my point is simply that he is best off having it looked at by a physician.

Thanks,

Jack