All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antlerless season starting with a bang

D

dipper

ive heard 5 seperate groups of shooting already this evening. Now I just need a fattie to come my way.

ive heard 5 seperate groups of shooting already this evening. Now I just need a fattie to come my way.
What kind or day time movement are you seeing?

Wow. You must have a huge overpopulation of does

we have taken 340 the last 10 years. we dropped goal down to 20 this year.
Over how many acres? Is this mainly a buck/doe ratio thing or fill the freezer?

Shot by far my oldest deer ever! My jaw aging collection only goes up to 7.5 and she is far older than that. Her teeth are worn down to just above her gum line. This thing could really be over 10. She was dried up, and had over 2" of fat on her belly and over 3" on her back. Finally got my trophy this year!
I missed her head by a couple inches so the damn lower jaw is in pieces. Don't have a new jaw for the collection but plenty of vennie for sausage. Yum yum
09B11A14-94AE-4E08-B613-28BB41F2B49F.jpg

No I lended my scale to a buddy, and you know how that goes. This deer is the oldest I've ever seen. She really doesn't have teeth.

Nice old lady, but why aim for the head? Shot through the ribs = quick kill and very little meat loss

Ya how'd you end up killing it? Did it drop or did you have to shot it again on the run?

Lots of meat there. No waste either with a head shot. That's my favorite if given the opportunity.

Only shot I had. The rest of her herd smelt me and booked. She hesitated. Ive killed well over 75 deer in 3 years and have yet to loose one. Probably over 150, maybe 175 since I've lost one. Usually I make that shot. She dropped and I slit her throat.
Pretty good amount of shots, I'd say 20 seperate occasions.

What kind or day time movement are you seeing?
I have been logging all week, and starting today, had deer within 100 yards of me all day. As soon as I would leave with a load, they would come in and start eating the tops until I arrived back. Seems awful early in the season to have deer coming into the tree tops during the day with only 2 inches of snow on the ground. Obviously, we have an overpopulation here.

Only shot I had. The rest of her herd smelt me and booked. She hesitated. Ive killed well over 75 deer in 3 years and have yet to loose one. Probably over 150, maybe 175 since I've lost one. Usually I make that shot. She dropped and I slit her throat.
Pretty good amount of shots, I'd say 20 seperate occasions.

WTF??? Where I am its starting to become something special to just see a live deer.

One of you guys shoot a couple does and donate them to me. I will come pick them up. Been two years since I had meat in the freezer.

Shoulda said something earlier! Was in a box blind the Friday after thanksgiving watching 20+ does dig for soybeans. I would helped you out lol but midwestern WI might be a bit of a hike

grats, dipper. She is a hog.

I'm nocking my population down big time. A lot less deer, than there was 5 years ago on my place. My southern 120 hardly has a track. I hunted real hard on my east 40 and only got 2 the last week. The deer will move back in.
Just like pope, I have hundreds of acres surrounding me where no one shoots does. You can go a mile down the road and hardly see a deer.

I'm nocking my population down big time. A lot less deer, than there was 5 years ago on my place. My southern 120 hardly has a track. I hunted real hard on my east 40 and only got 2 the last week. The deer will move back in.
Just like pope, I have hundreds of acres surrounding me where no one shoots does. You can go a mile down the road and hardly see a deer.

What kind of bucks are you and your neighbors seeing? Numbers and age wise

A doe that old is truly a trophy, congrats dipper!

What kind of bucks are you and your neighbors seeing? Numbers and age wise
Not as good as it should be. I own a good amount of land, and you can't fence it in. Almost all of my neighbors don't have the same size standards as I. One neighbor has 16 hunters on it, with multiple tags. I used to have some awesome hunting during earn a buck, even with insane pressure. Now it's pass does and shoot every buck you see. Within a half mile in all directions I have at least 70 people hunting with multiple buck tags. They have quality habitat to boot. It's impossible to get a good buck age structure like low pressure areas. Especially if they aren't passing young bucks.
Your hunting is only as good as your neighbors!

congrats on an old matriarch. makes you think...how many times has she busted you before and got away with it?

I shot one on saturday that is probably the oldest i have ever killed. Same as you describe....she was dry...teats were shriveled...and she had more fat on her then i have ever seen on any deer! to top it off it was mountain deer no real ag to speak of for miles....just big woods. She was with a group of six other deer. She dressed 100lbs which is good sized for that area.

"Your hunting is only as good as your neighbors!"
I disagree. I have 27 adjacent landowners and there results have never been what ours is. My habitat development over 39 years is 1 factor. Thermal bedding/foodplots. 2)How we hunt our property(low pressure, have enough stands to always play the wind 3) when an opportunity for a big buck is there we don't miss. We took some really nice mature bucks this year and have 3 big boys still on property and they never left our place all fall. They never had a reason to cross the wire.

Ya but you have 470 some acres to work with... that is way different than 100 or less acres