Antler obsession

Antlers sell - it's that simple. The thing is when we started putting more value on antlers than the deer itself we started down this path. I sill only speak for myself, but it was the pursuit of larger antlers that led me to habitat work. I guess the thing is - just how far are you willing to go and to what extreme?

Yup, I agree. For me: once I was involved in habitat and plots, things came back full circle. It was a broader picture of enjoying all aspects , not just antlers. Does and fawns using my plots and hinge cuts, good friends planting plots with me. My extreme is enjoying everyday on my property. J bird, just sharing my thoughts, nothing I posted is directed towards your goals or thoughts. ......

Ka - the reason, the journey and the final result are different for all of us. Like I said in my post - or tried to - I only speak for me.

I too take a lot of pride in any deer on my place - antlers or not, big or small. Do I like big deer - oh yes. But I still hunt with my kids and a buddy of mine. I try to protect fawns and yearling bucks - other than that it's fair game - gross rules simply take the fun out of it. I hunt to enjoy it - if your out there to prove something - well you already missed the best part! I do most of the work and although it frustrates me at times, I find some sort of sick satisfaction when a plot is complete or trees provide fruit or to grow a tree from an acorn, see beds near a hinge of mine or find a shed antler.

Is it about the deer - yes. But it's about a whole lot more than that for me. If it was just about the antlers - I would be using an outfitter every year. Instead I take "lesser" deer but have a far richer experience for it - in my opinion.

To each their own!

Ka - the reason, the journey and the final result are different for all of us. Like I said in my post - or tried to - I only speak for me.

I too take a lot of pride in any deer on my place - antlers or not, big or small. Do I like big deer - oh yes. But I still hunt with my kids and a buddy of mine. I try to protect fawns and yearling bucks - other than that it's fair game - gross rules simply take the fun out of it. I hunt to enjoy it - if your out there to prove something - well you already missed the best part! I do most of the work and although it frustrates me at times, I find some sort of sick satisfaction when a plot is complete or trees provide fruit or to grow a tree from an acorn, see beds near a hinge of mine or find a shed antler.

Is it about the deer - yes. But it's about a whole lot more than that for me. If it was just about the antlers - I would be using an outfitter every year. Instead I take "lesser" deer but have a far richer experience for it - in my opinion.

To each their own!

I agree, Good post JB

I have never shot a wall hanger. Maybe I never will. But do have to say it would be nice. Maybe one day my property will allow me to do that, but only if the Amish neighbors change their ways and I'm not holding my breath on that.

I just want to point out I just like watching, shooting, killing, recovering, eating deer. Deer hunting is defeintaly about killing deer to me.
I have never shot a wall hanger. Maybe I never will. But do have to say it would be nice. Maybe one day my property will allow me to do that, but only if the Amish neighbors change their ways and I'm not holding my breath on that.
What do you consider a wall hanger?

I just want to point out I just like watching, shooting, killing, recovering, eating deer. Deer hunting is defeintaly about killing deer to me.

What do you consider a wall hanger?
For my area anything above 100"

Same for me. I have only seen one in 12 years. My disbelief lead me to doing 5 things wrong in 3 seconds, bye bye deer.

Nice to see some guys in a similar boat as me. For some reason I thought I was the odd duck

Wall hanger, 130. Shooter is any decent 2 year old or bigger.

I constantly complain that the interest/obsession by some, of big rack deer, or sometimes even of mature deer, has done as much to hurt hunter recruitment as anything the antis have done. So many worry if " their " deer will be taken by a neighbor, they worry if the deer they want meets their criteria, etc. All well and good, but as has been said, the companionship and FUN of just hunting with your buddies is mostly a lost art. Even posting a less than trophy deer pic on many sites will get a fellow some rude grief at times. I feel sorry for the new hunters as their expectations is about the deer, not about experience with others. Most could not even go to their neighbor to ask to help drag a deer out because they've been in conflict about each others property lines and deer for years.

My favorite deer taken are not the book size ones, but the scrawny things that i enjoyed hunting with the best of friends, some of whom are no longer around. I'm all about passing deer, but I feel no guilt if I choose to break my rules. Choose what you want, and enjoy the hunt. For goodness sakes its just a sport, and they are just an animal we love to chase. Harvesting a record deer does not mean your junk is bigger than everyone else's.

The T.V. shows had / have a lot to do with the big antler obsession. Nothing wrong with wanting to grow or take bigger-racked deer, but I agree with others on here that if big antlers are the only measure of success, then we're shooting thru keyholes. Much of the other reasons to enjoy hunting are lost. The joy & busting of each others' stones when hunting with buddies, time spent scouting, putting tree stands up, planting plots, timber work, planting fruit & nut trees - it's all geared toward getting a shot at deer. How much fun and enjoyment do we all get from the " non-trigger-pull " aspects?? Probably a lot. To say only a deer over X-inches is a trophy or worth shooting, seems to cheapen the whole hunt picture to me. I'm not poo - pooing someone who wants to hold out for 140" or better, but many areas of the country aren't going to produce bucks like that in any number. They're an oddity, not the norm.

Here in Pa., a 2.5 or 3.5 yr. old 8 pt. with a 12" inside spread is a shooter. For many, that would NOT be a trophy. But to many around the country, it would be. I think it depends on the locale you're hunting in and whether it can produce 140" deer or not, and the criteria each hunter sets in his / her own mind. I passed up a smallish 6 pt. this past fall, legal here, but I just felt better letting it walk. I'm no antler snob, just a game-time decision that felt right. As a contrast - my most memorable hunt was killing a half-rack in archery season back around 1982. I'd scouted the area, back-tracked the rub lines and scrapes to the bedding area, and set up on the first major scrape outside that bedding area. Just before shooting light was over, he appeared at that scrape and I watched him wet down over his tarsals and freshen the scrape before I arrowed him. The arrow cut the aorta from it's heart and he went down in 50 yds. My 3rd archery deer, but first by reading the signs, using the wind, and setting up accordingly. A half-rack. The 2 mile drag back to my vehicle in the October moonlight and growing frost made the whole episode a treasure to me. No big rack either.

I think each hunter has their own definition of a trophy. Hunting with buddies or your own kids / grandkids makes ANY hunt better in my book. Maybe it's inches, maybe it's certain circumstances, or it's the whole picture leading up to and concluding the hunt with a kill of whatever size. Each hunter, in his own circumstances, has his own guidelines. That's probably how it ought to be.

I saw someplace that a trophy should be the top 5 or 10% of the bucks your area supports. That means it might be 100" or 200" - it all boils down to your specific area. As soon as we judge ourselves against others - we only set ourselves up for failure.

Every person hunts for different reasons. I personally like to shoot nice bucks (3 years old or older) if possible.

I've shot a few 2.5 year olds that look nice.

What I like about mature bucks is the challenge. They are tough to hunt!! Plus I love how each mature buck has a different head gear and body size.

Unlike hunting say turkeys or pheasants (which all look the same)...a buck can be unique and will have lasting memories.

That is why I go for mature bucks. If I shot the first 4/6/small 8....it would be a short season---just past that stage.

I'll eat a tag once awhile too!

Now on the other hand when it comes to fishing, I'd rather catch (4) 1.5 pound walleyes then one 6-pounder. I like more action and love to eat fish.

Each hunter is different. I see no problem at all with hunters that like to manage for big bucks. Just like I see no issues with guys chasing musky or big fish only!!

Last edited:
Can't eat the horns.

Big antlers are like boobs for most men. Little ones are ok, just like to grab a hold of a big set once in a while!
Or just marry a cute gal with big ones that lets you grab them for life! That was a lot easier than killing a big racked buck, maybe someday I'll get the best of both worlds.