Another ID Request

2ndHand

5 year old buck +
Any thoughts on what type of mushroom this is? Thank you!...:cool:

mushroom2.jpg mushroom2a.jpg

I would say its called a cortinorius.If it is, its nonedible. If it is, it is in a book I have as a "look alike" to the edible indigo milk cap. Cool mushroom though.

I would say its called a cortinorius.If it is, its nonedible. If it is, it is in a book I have as a "look alike" to the edible indigo milk cap. Cool mushroom though.

Thanks for the reply - appreciate the helpful info...;)

Wow! Purple mushrooms! Never saw anything like that before

Wow! Purple mushrooms! Never saw anything like that before

Hey Lois! Same goes for me - this one was just a few feet from the red-orange mushroom I posted in another thread. They were located at the bottom of a north facing wooded ridgeline . Thanks for the reply!

Purple mushrooms just blew me away. I could never have imagined such a thing. I just love photographing mushrooms. There is this one mushroom - very common - which is yellow with white spots. It is the classic mushroom - dome shaped to flat round on a stem with gills underneath. It is deadly poisonous. It has a variant which is red with white spots but only up north right round your ways. It is what the ubiquitous drawings of the red mushroom with white spots is patterned after. I dream of someday finding the red version with the white spots. Word is that you have to go up to WI ad MI to see them.

2nd hand,

You know what would be really cool. If someone started a thread called "post your best mushroom pic" and then we all posted our favorite shots. Imagine all of the great mushroom shots we would get. I am sort of new around here so I would hesitate to start the thread but you could do so. It is going to be pretty hard to beat your purple mushrooms, in any event. I am hesitant to start threads on forums, anymore, because I was once a member of a forum wherein I was criticized for starting too many "off topic" threads. The threads I started would get huge responses 200-500 posts but a lot of forum members complained because they were off topic and bumped "on topic" threads off the front page.

2nd hand,

You know what would be really cool. If someone started a thread called "post your best mushroom pic" and then we all posted our favorite shots. Imagine all of the great mushroom shots we would get. I am sort of new around here so I would hesitate to start the thread but you could do so. It is going to be pretty hard to beat your purple mushrooms, in any event. I am hesitant to start threads on forums, anymore, because I was once a member of a forum wherein I was criticized for starting too many "off topic" threads. The threads I started would get huge responses 200-500 posts but a lot of forum members complained because they were off topic and bumped "on topic" threads off the front page.

Good idea Lois - I will start the thread! Thanks...;)

2nd hand,

No worries around here. We are pretty relaxed and encourage new threads. You are in the "mushroom" area. Post anything you want!

-John

Good to know. They were a really rough bunch given to knock down drag out brawls with one another. I was often directly in the middle of one or more such dust-ups albeit certainly not by choice. Bottom line is that I came away a bit gun-shy as a result of these folks. It got really ugly and I am not one who is given to this sort of thing. I believe in living peacefully with ones fellow humans and creatures of the earth. I just could not get into to this online fist-fighting type of atmosphere. The whole thing was sort of like a bar-room brawl and that is the way these guys liked it. I left that forum over two years ago and I have not been to any forum since. It was a really big turn off and negative experience - traumatic in its own way - although I did make some close friends on that forum and I do miss them. I hear they miss me as well. This is pretty much the first time I have been posting to a forum since - 2-1/2 years later - and I am sort of waiting for the other shoe to fall.