Annual Clover

S.T.Fanatic

5 year old buck +
Have any of you in the upper midwest planted annual clover in the spring? If so how did it work out for you?

It turned out ok but it wasn't as nice as my fall planted with cereal grans. It seems like I opened up a whole new seed bank when I tried this and the plot was real weedy before the clover took over.

I’m just using it in a fall planted clover plot that I planted TNM without herbicide. It’s weedy and the percentage of clover and chicory isn’t great.

I am going to broadcast the seed and walk away until August. I will then be planting radishes and PTT mixed with perennial clovers, chicory, and winter barley TNM style again.

Hopefully the annual clovers out compete the non desirables. We’ll see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frosty berseem worked great for me as an annual clover. A little weedy but still came in great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

I am going to try some frosty berseem this year, plan on planting in July. Originally was going to throw it in a mix with radish and D.E., but have been kind of thinking of just growing a patch of it solo.

I follow previous years soybeans with oats and crimson clover in the spring. Mostly lightly till in July and put down strips of WR mix. And turnip-brassica mix. Clover does well. Seldom see much for blossoms. Oats and crimson do a good job of keeping weeds down for fall plantings.

Have had pretty good luck frost seeding clover in MN (ladino, alice, med red)

All perennials.