Amish people to be evicted because they refuse comply with public code

I have heard the same thing about the property line issues from many guys I know in Juneau and Monroe Co that own land that borders Amish properties.

A political guy from Richland Center WI tried to get a law passed that amish had to register there buggies since they tear up the road. It got thrown out immediately. My hunting area has plenty of amish and I'm not a fan of them. They don't understand what a property line is, they have gone so far as to open some of our trail cameras hoping they could see pictures on it. Then after we tell them don't ever touch our stuff again they have the nerve to ask if we have any big bucks on camera.

Wouldn't they be breaking the rules of their religion by using technology if they are opening up and looking at your cameras? :confused:

Most of them only care if the church Elders get involved, and then they do whatever they can to lie their way out of the situation.

Liars, cheats, thieves, crooks and other politicians and lawyers in every religion!

I have seen a few instances where they were caught with prepaid cellphones, and when questioned, it belonged to the English "driver" that takes them to town and he "misplaced" it, so they were "holding it" for them until they saw the driver next time.:rolleyes:

Once an Amish buys a English farm/house it's done for. Wiring, piping anything worth a penny is stripped out and sold for scrap. One of my property lines is shared with an Amish. I knew when I bought the place the fence wasn't where it should have been and the old owner didn't care. When I started to move it back to where it belonged the neighbor had the nerve to ask why I was moving it and then asked how were his cows & horses going to get shade in the afternoon. Most of the ditch's that are heavily traveled by Amish have more litter than others cause they need to throw out the beer, pop cans and other stuff they shouldn't have before they get home.

Once an Amish buys a English farm/house it's done for. Wiring, piping anything worth a penny is stripped out and sold for scrap. One of my property lines is shared with an Amish. I knew when I bought the place the fence wasn't where it should have been and the old owner didn't care. When I started to move it back to where it belonged the neighbor had the nerve to ask why I was moving it and then asked how were his cows & horses going to get shade in the afternoon. Most of the ditch's that are heavily traveled by Amish have more litter than others cause they need to throw out the beer, pop cans and other stuff they shouldn't have before they get home.

Wow, I am getting an education about the Amish I didn't know about.

I have lots of Amish down the hill from me 10-15 miles away. Two things I am guaranteed to never have with my snowfall is Amish and hogs.

Wow, I am getting an education about the Amish I didn't know about.
Be lucky your not learning the hard way.

Amish_Mafia.jpg

I think they are gonna visit some of you........:)

Reality T.V. Just like the " outlaws " of the Appalachians that make " secret " moonshine in front of TV. cameras to be broadcast for the whole nation. Amish Mafia - that area is about a 30 minute ride for me. I'm afraid to come out of my house because of them !!:rolleyes: :D I think a fair % of people don't know the meaning of reality !!

The Amish are like every other group of people in this country: there are good ones, bad ones and everything in between. I have some Amish friends that are great people; respectful, honest and hard-working. I know some others who are basically scum. There are different "classes" of Amish, as well. In our area, there are basically 3 classes, which allow various states of "modern living". I know many Amish homes that were purchased from "English", and all plumbing and wiring remains intact, the electric is simply disconnected. The highest class of Amish around us all have indoor plumbing. They are not all scofflaws, although many of the farmers will take crop damage deer on their own land if the need arises. It's not any more fair to stereotype all Amish as a group any more than it is reasonable to stereotype any other large group of people. When it comes to local building codes, don't even get me started on that racket: government overreaching at its finest.

The experience you've had with the Amish buying English farms and homes is very similar to my own. No gutting of houses or buildings, save the couple I am aware of where the copper wiring got stripped, everything else was left intact. I have never been in one with indoor running water, but many still have toilets, sinks, and tubs all hooked to the septic and they just carry in the water to fill them. The waste water still goes right into the septic tank. We have many that operate old tractor(up on blocks) driven sawmills and even some that will run a string of 6 volt light bulbs in their milking area.
As far as the stereotypes goes, you are absolutely correct and while it is no excuse, the demographics makes them easy targets. In the big picture, they are not really a very large community at all and the fact that they live in relatively localized pockets in large numbers(like Lancaster Co), there are enough bad ones concentrated in those small areas that those stereotypes seem to overwhelm the community, fair or not. The Amish are very much like the Native American community and the stereotype that they are lazy, stumbling drunkards, which I know first hand couldn't be further from the truth. I sit right across the hallway from a member of the Ho-Chunk Nation and he is one of the hardest working, most dedicated, family men I have ever met. He can bench press 425lbs, has about 7-8% body fat, his kids get straight A's and are dedicated martial arts students, and he manages his money well enough that his wife can stay home. Surely not your stereotypical "Injun" by any means. Again, not right and very unfair to the community as a whole, but very easy targets nonetheless.