All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Am I missing something here.... Spring Plots

alldaysit

5 year old buck +
I don't understand people and needing to get the foodplots in as soon as possible in the spring. Most fellas I see only plant one time, all season...... why plant anything for hunting season right now? I've been using the LC mix for years. My foodplots are growing great right now and I haven't lifted a finger this year. I won't be until at least July to prepare for the fall.

Currently The rye and clover are growing great, and are supplying food and cover.

Guess I am confused on why they do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People have different goals as to what they want their food plots to do and what they are trying to do for their local herd. The times they hunt will dictate also when they want to have deer focus on their land/food. Those that hunt later seasons in mid to northern latitudes of the U.S. Nov through January, beans are a bigger draw than clover. However if they are hunting Sept through Oct and even into Nov greens will draw more deer. The size of plots also will dictate what can be planted. A quarter to a half acre of beans don't make as much sense as a that same plot in greens makes.

Time taken to put in the other plots such as LC's rotation require several different time commitments that I think many would have a hard time making happen such as mowing, disking, sowing.

And as ncnat noted, not everyone loves playing with the dirt as much as it seems many of us on forums such as this do.

You have poor antlers and want to pump protein to the deer
You want to double crop your plot to produce as much forage as possible headed into winter
Clover doesn't get used much in spring and summer for some guys. Beans, sunflower and buckwheat do.

I don't understand people and needing to get the foodplots in as soon as possible in the spring. Most fellas I see only plant one time, all season...... why plant anything for hunting season right now? I've been using the LC mix for years. My foodplots are growing great right now and I haven't lifted a finger this year. I won't be until at least July to prepare for the fall.

Currently The rye and clover are growing great, and are supplying food and cover.

Guess I am confused on why they do it.

Depends on your location and objectives. I'm further south in zone 7a and summer is our major stress period and winter is secondary. I'm on the ratty edge of having enough scale to improve herd health in a measureable way. For those of us with this objective, the primary purpose of a food plot is to address the holes left by nature and summer is our biggest hole. I have to wait for soil temperatures to warm up enough to plant soybeans. If I can get them in early, they can establish and canopy which gives them an advantage against both summer weeds and browse pressure. Does generally leave them alone in favor of native foods in cover when they are getting close to fawning. However, if I get them in late, does are bringing fawns to them before they are well established. This either slows or prevents a canopy which advantages summer weed competition.

So, there are very well founded reasons for spring planting. However I agree with an earlier post that many folks are simply new to all of this and anxious to get dirt under their nails. Most have now established realistic goals and an overall plan before implementing. There is some benefit to this with new folks as planting something and seeing deer use it can breed the excitement necessary to form the long-term dedication it takes to establish a successful program.

Thanks,

Jack

Depends on your location and objectives. I'm further south in zone 7a and summer is our major stress period and winter is secondary. I'm on the ratty edge of having enough scale to improve herd health in a measureable way. For those of us with this objective, the primary purpose of a food plot is to address the holes left by nature and summer is our biggest hole. I have to wait for soil temperatures to warm up enough to plant soybeans. If I can get them in early, they can establish and canopy which gives them an advantage against both summer weeds and browse pressure. Does generally leave them alone in favor of native foods in cover when they are getting close to fawning. However, if I get them in late, does are bringing fawns to them before they are well established. This either slows or prevents a canopy which advantages summer weed competition.

So, there are very well founded reasons for spring planting. However I agree with an earlier post that many folks are simply new to all of this and anxious to get dirt under their nails. Most have now established realistic goals and an overall plan before implementing. There is some benefit to this with new folks as planting something and seeing deer use it can breed the excitement necessary to form the long-term dedication it takes to establish a successful program.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks Jack, that sums it up very well. I forgot that in other areas of the country summer is the stress period. Makes perfect sense.

The dual time commitments make sense as well. I bet I take it for granted having the hunting property very close (3 miles) and being able to be there with the tractor and implement within 20 minutes.

Thank you guys.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am trying to build OM in my plots....recently cleared woodlands with low pH, low OM, and low nutrients. I'll do a buckwheat crop this spring and then seed rye into it late summer.

I've got two areas without anything growing, which will be all weeds if I leave it alone. One was from last fall's turnip crop. Planted buckwheat there to get something growing, so I'll have thatch for the throw and mow in the fall. Also gives the deer something to come around for instead of spending all summer in nearby bean fields.

The other area is a spot where I've tried broadcasting switchgrass twice with no success. All I ended up with was a screen of crabgrass. Lol so now I've spread sunflowers there. If any of it survives the birds and germinates, it'll provide a little screening for my stand entrance this season, while my new miscanthus is getting established.

Both spots combined total less than a half acre, so didn't require much time or expense.

I don't just plant for the deer, I plant for everything to use it... from bees to deer.
I plant clovers and chicory, and then brassicas in late summer. I'm in a very agricultural area so planting row crops for me is overkill but I do leave a few rows up along the woods now and then. Also ad fruit and nut trees in spring/fall as space permits, I'm always looking at whatever I can do to keep the wildlife at my place as content as I can...and I just like messing around with it.

I .....for one.... am appreciative of the patience and generosity of our "5 year old bucks" in answering our queries

i learn something from them everyday

bill

I have been focusing on something like alldaysit is talking about. Basically what I do is plant radish and turnips on July 4th weekend, then in August I spread winter rye into the radish and turnips. Those 2 plantings pretty much give the deer forage year around, and has something covering the dirt most of the year. As the radish and turnip greens get eaten, and dye down in the fall, and in thin spots, the winter rye fills in, then late fall I have radish and turnip bulbs, and winter rye in the plots. In the winter the bulbs feed the deer, then in the spring, the winter rye is the first thing to green up and feed the deer. During the summer the winter rye gets tall, and dies off, and falls down and I plant my radish and turnips in the plot again in July. It has been working pretty decent for me. I also have a clover plot that I just let go, the deer keep it trimmed pretty well most of the year. I have been trying to keep it simple for myself. That is about it, other then adding fertilizer to the plot 2 times late summer for the radish and turnips. Then every other year I do a maintenance 500 pounds of lime to each plot before I plant radish and turnips.

Number one, I LOVE PLAYING IN THE DIRT!! I can't wait to get started and am often times told I start too early. Can't help it, seat time on the tractor is very valuable to me.

2nd, I have to get my row crops in before fishing season opens(roughly May15th). Once fishing starts that is what I concentrate on, taking days off only to spray or plant the fall plots.

3rd, I LOVE PAYING IN THE DIRT!, winter is too long and spring is too short:emoji_blush:

I have been focusing on something like alldaysit is talking about. Basically what I do is plant radish and turnips on July 4th weekend, then in August I spread winter rye into the radish and turnips. Those 2 plantings pretty much give the deer forage year around, and has something covering the dirt most of the year. As the radish and turnip greens get eaten, and dye down in the fall, and in thin spots, the winter rye fills in, then late fall I have radish and turnip bulbs, and winter rye in the plots. In the winter the bulbs feed the deer, then in the spring, the winter rye is the first thing to green up and feed the deer. During the summer the winter rye gets tall, and dies off, and falls down and I plant my radish and turnips in the plot again in July. It has been working pretty decent for me. I also have a clover plot that I just let go, the deer keep it trimmed pretty well most of the year. I have been trying to keep it simple for myself. That is about it, other then adding fertilizer to the plot 2 times late summer for the radish and turnips. Then every other year I do a maintenance 500 pounds of lime to each plot before I plant radish and turnips.
I don't remember ever reading that people spread winter rye into radishes and turnips in August, but I like the idea of that! How well does the rye germinate if the leaves from the turnips are big? Might have to give it a try this year.

Peter

My camp just wants to provide lots of choices for the critters. We need to feed deer year-round - including summer - to put weight and antler growth on deer. We have the equipment and the guys willing to plant. We are also building our soil into a better condition than when we started. There are also other hunting camps in the area, so if they plant and we don't - where will the deer be ???

And we love to play in the dirt !! It's cool to see things grow that we've planted, fertilized, limed, etc. and see the results.

I don't remember ever reading that people spread winter rye into radishes and turnips in August, but I like the idea of that! How well does the rye germinate if the leaves from the turnips are big? Might have to give it a try this year.

Peter

If it is planted really thick, it will come up in between leaves, until the leaves wither in late fall, but the winter rye then comes up fresh. If it has thin spots, it fills in thick. Even in thick planted spots, it tends to come in thick every spring.

Here is a picture of one of the plots. The thinned out area is because it is a deer highway right now, and it has been raining non stop for a couple weeks.
359ed68f951ff632a96896d6ca8aea25.jpg

My goal is to have year long food sources for the deer and every other critter that wants to use the plots. My RR corn and soy beans are no till planted by my farmers. So I have no control over the planting times. They are usually done in the second week of May. They rent a 12 acre field in which they grow alfalfa. The corn and soy beans are meant to be over winter food sources. I plant 15 acres combined and the fields are completely stripped clean by February. The alfalfa starts greening up in early spring and is a great high protein source for the deer in the months right after winter. I hunt over the food plots or on the trails to them in the late season.
My food plots are adapted for the needs of the deer in Central Wisconsin.

Last edited:
Some years ago, I sketched out food availability over the course of the year (by month) on my farm. It clearly showed the peaks and valleys of availability, protein, carbohydrates, palatability etc. and helped me visualize what could be done to address the concern for any number of different wildlife species.

Just something that might help you quantify potential areas of improvement when compared against your particular management goals..

My plots are newer and I am still amending the soil. My plots need better OM too. I also have high deer densities and there was squat left this spring. I don't want bare dirt. I want stuff growing there all the time for weed suppression purposes as well as for feeding them.

I also like GRO's concept of a cafeteria style for the deer. I'm liking planting a variety of things giving them lots of choices. Now, if I ever get good spring growth, I'd probably cut back somewhat.

I sometimes work plots in the early spring because that is hands down the best time to remove rocks/boulders. The 2 to 4 week window after frost out is prime. The first couple of weeks even my hill soil is too soft for driving without ruts everywhere but just a little bit later and things dig out and push out well. I easily removed 10,000 lbs of rocks making an 0.08 acre addition this spring. About 80% of that total was three rocks. Gonna disk and level and throw out some oats in a couple of weeks after the sod clumps break down some.