Albino deer in Winchester wi

D

dipper

I was driving on hwy 45 between Oshkosh and Winchester yesterday evening and a truck pulls over in front of me. I look out in the field as adjacent to the highway and this guy is out there.
This is my first albino. I've see. A few piebalds. Good thing I had my binos in the truck. I could see its pink nose and ears.
D0606C5A-1B10-4C2F-9945-A3B20EAD619F.jpg

321A0361-EF5F-4910-8B77-BED8A06136EF.jpg

It was on that first field south of Winchester or county Ii on the east side of the road. I didn't know there were albinos in that area. Anyway I thought it was neat.

Very cool!! I too have only seen piebalds and we have some with white socks but nothing like this.

I know they used to have albinos at the gas station that is only a 40 away. Wonder if it could be some strain from an escapee.
Hope it doesn't get hit by a car, it was only 120 yards from the freeway.

I seen one last year around Johnson Creek off I 94. They are cool to see. It seems to be a more common sight. I don't know if protecting a animal with a genetic defect is the right thing to do though.

There are several that I keep hearing about between Spencer & Stratford. A few guys I work with live near there and say it is not uncommon to see 6 or 8 in the field at one time. Don't know if they are true Albinos, I'll have to take a ride some evening and see if I can get a pic.

Awesome to see the albino deer -- my parents had place up around manitowish waters and that area we had seen some over the years.

I have seen this white deer several times this spring in the same field every time. Stories say that two white deer got out of the pen before it was closed to build the gas station. That has to be well over 5 years ago. Some say these are offspring from the original pen raised. No mater how, it is still cool to see a white deer in the wild.

Certain parts of Wisconsin have had populations of white deer for years. Since you can't shoot white deer in Wisconsin, their numbers are quite common in certain locations. Still not sure why a white deer would be protected.

My opinon is white deer are protected because of purely emotional reasons. I dont feel they should have any special protection.

White deer were legal to shoot in CWD areas. They are now protected again which makes no scientific sense as it has been documented that the older the deer gets the more likely the chance that they will carry the CWD disease especially the bucks.

Certain parts of Wisconsin have had populations of white deer for years. Since you can't shoot white deer in Wisconsin, their numbers are quite common in certain locations. Still not sure why a white deer would be protected.
Where are they common? I've heard of one pocket around Manotowish water, where else?

A friend of mine drives along 94 to Chicago all the time. Not sure where it is, but he sees them along there quite often. Somewhere between Lacrosse and Madison.

There are several albino up around the cable area also.