All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After 36 yrs I own land again

cmhorsman77

Buck Fawn
The bride and I bought 54 acres in S Indiana. Basically a blank slate after years of neglect. There is an old wooden cabin that needs getting gone. Suggestions?
About a 1/2 acre pond that could use some husbandry.
12 to 14 acres of fairly clear land, the rest is hardwoods. We also have 200 acres of public land on 2 sides.
Our plans are a shed house, garden, metal building, septic, food plots, trees, habitat.
Very excited. Lots of work

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Congratulations! The public land can be a double edged sword. I’d certainly make an effort to post no trespassing signs right away.

Sounds great!

Suggestions on removing the "cabin".

1. I have heard and rarely seen it work out that a local fire dept would use that type of thing for practice (they would burn it down and so on). I've seen it twice in my life, both closer to water supplies (hydrants) and all of that.

2. The other option would be to find a guy with a tractor or dozer, see if he can dig a trench along side of it and then push it into the trench. At that point he could then crush it down and then either bury it/wait for it to rot OR carefully burn it off over time. I've seen this done recently and it worked out well. The burned area was re-covered with dirt. It's not perfect, but they put a camper over it.

I also agree with the above comment on posted signs. I made my own on a computer, put them in quart ziplock bags and stapled them to trees along my property line. They look like metal signs but the message is more custom and includes my number, etc.

The public land is landlocked by other private land. Will trespassing never be a problem? I doubt it, certainly won't be as bad.
We considered calling the local fire department. I've heard, anecdotally, they don't do "training fires" I guess its not a controlled environment.
So we'll dismantle, recycle and burn/bury.
Power water and first shipping container arriving soon......super excited

congrats and welcome to the affliction. Sounds like you've got a spot with some promise.

Enjoy yourself. Nothing more rewarding than accomplishing projects on YOUR property. Maybe it’s a bit narcissistic, but there are much more destructive habits to have, as long as you don’t take out a 2nd mortgage on your house to buy a tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bride and I bought 54 acres in S Indiana. Basically a blank slate after years of neglect. There is an old wooden cabin that needs getting gone. Suggestions?
About a 1/2 acre pond that could use some husbandry.
12 to 14 acres of fairly clear land, the rest is hardwoods. We also have 200 acres of public land on 2 sides.
Our plans are a shed house, garden, metal building, septic, food plots, trees, habitat.
Very excited. Lots of work

Spend a night with your bride or kids/grandkids camping out enjoying the place before doing anything to the wooden cabin.

Enjoy and learn before you destroy ... amazing the fun and learning process you can have.

The cabin has to go. It's falling down, rotten and a danger.