Advice needed on control of Hairy Golinsaga/Shaggy Soldier weeds next spring

Bluecollaroutdoors

5 year old buck +
ipm1007galinsoga02.jpg imagesSMP1OKXH.jpg

I am on year 7 with a foodplot near my pond and at this point I am willing to do whatever it takes to control this weed. When I plant brassicas they seem to always talk too long to canopy and around the 4 week period the weeds just go crazy. When I planted the Lickcreek mix of oats, rye, peas, clover and radish they stayed under control the best. Mostly because I went very heavy on the grain portion trying not to leave any open dirt for the weeds to operate. When I did roundup ready soybeans last year it was mostly in an effort to be be able to nuke the hell out of those weeds and that really worked well. I sprayed at planting and 4 weeks later then never felt the need to hit them again.
I tried the beans this year and with what I thought were perfect conditions and the same planting technique I had a total failure and was out enough money and time that I didn't want to risk doing that again.

Currently the plot sits in basically a failed brassic plot with 50 lbs or rye fired over the top with no tillage. I put 50 on last week and had put 50 on 3 weeks prior. My dad has been cutting over the top of the rye with his sickle cutter to prevent the weeds from getting tall enough to seed. They are still coming back like dandions.

My thoughts on how to approach this for next year:
Option 1: Put 100 lbs ($20 ) worth of rye on it now in the hopes that the rye comes back so strong in spring that there is no room for the weeds to grow. Nuke the rye in June and put down brassicas at a heavy rate with no tillage, spray, cultipack heavily and walk away with no soil disturbance.

OPTION 2:
Forget about throwing any more seed or money on it this year and in spring continue to plow the plot every couple weeks hoping to use up all that crap that is stored in my seed bank. Plant some sort of grain mix that is so heavy it makes a shag carpet with no room for the leftover weeds to find a centimeter to grow.

I am willing to give up multiple years of have something sexy planted here as its not a great hunting spot anyway and getting those weeds under control at all costs is my #1 goal.

Thank you for your opinon.

Liberty Herbicide at 32oz per acre will control Golinsaga. Plant a early maturing Liberty Link Soybean next spring. Spray as needed over the summer, then over seed Brassicas into beans August 1st.

Beans brassica.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have quite a bit of golinsoga in one of my plots. I used to worry about it until I realized that my deer browse it fairly well after it matures.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Liberty Herbicide at 32oz per acre will control Golinsaga. Plant a early maturing Liberty Link Soybean next spring. Spray as needed over the summer, then over seed Brassicas into beans August 1st.

View attachment 11074

John,
You've got expand on that picture. Is that in MO? When were they planted and what maturity let you broadcast in August.
Then how the heck did you get N down for the brassica's ?

09 maturity beans planted early may In MN, August 1st planting of brassicas, Hand broadcast both Urea and seed. Pray for rain!!!

I just don't see how you could not have deer in that all the time. Brown beens and brassica's!
But I know why it's in MN. You have two young brothers to hand broadcast all that urea.

I just don't see how you could not have deer in that all the time. Brown beens and brassica's!
But I know why it's in MN. You have two young brothers to hand broadcast all that urea.

We do have deer in those beans every year. I just don't hunt MN anymore. I do let some of the kids that work for me bow hunt them. They seem to have fun!

Thanks for the replies fellas.
I wouldnt sweat some weeds in the plot if they didnt outcompete most everything I plant.
As of right now its gonna be plow spray plow spray and plant RRbeans with single row push cultivator.

I will overseed brassicas and rye here later. Brassicas dont do squat overseeded here. Im 0/5. Rye works great.

Buckwheat is also a good smother crop but doesn't do well in cold--done after a mild frost usually. Rye is awesome. Grows anywhere and survives winter cold most of the time.

I love rye already thats why i brought up the rye, roll, spray, brassica with no tilling idea.