Advice for a no till drill

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
My buddy is looking for a nice no till drill. His main purpose for it is food plots yearly. Can anyone give good advice on a nice one that would compliment his tractor. His tractor is a Kioti 36HP with 4 WD. It was a 3 point hitch. Any input would be appreciated. Thx, Bob

A few of us own Land Pride / Great Plains drills here. Here's a good thread on them.

Another popular choice may be a Genesis 3 or 5. Not sure his tractor has the stones to lift the 5'. Drill. A lower cost alternative is the Tar River Drills. Lots of satisfied users here too. Lots of threads on these drills on the tractor and implements section.

Thx Foggy. I was currently reading old threads as well.

Thx Foggy. I was currently reading old threads as well.
No problem. The first thing to know is what kind of soil does he have. Clay / Sand / Loam? Where are you located? What kinds of things intending to plant? Beans, corn, small grains, brassica, clover?

Next thing is the model of that tractor......so we can determine what kind of weights he can pick up with the 3 point. This assuming he wants a mounted drill rather than a pull type drill.

Another thing is the size plots and configuration of those fields......which will help to determine the above drill style.

We just bought a Tar River. We have a little over 400 acres and plant about 10-12 acres in food plot each year. We have a lot of AG on our farms and in the neighborhood, otherwise we would likely plant more. I think that is also an important point worth considering - what is in the neighborhood that is lacking.

In many soils you can make perfectly acceptable food plots to hunt over without any larger equipment.

If its a CK model it will be very limited in 3pt options due to size/weight/hydraulic capability. Maybe could handle a g3/genesis 3. DK model could probably handle a genesis 5/g5, 3p500/3p600, or tar river saya.

I love my 3' esch for a heavy duty no-till drill for smaller tractors, only down side is it only plants 3' wide at a time. Pull type is a little more cumbersome in awkward small areas as well. But it plants great.

Yes. From the research and the size of his tractor ( which isn’t very big and bec of that limits the options) the Genesis 3 looks like it would work. Thx for input guys.

I'm a very happy Genesis 3 owner. The new PH series drills have been improved, too.

One thing not talked about here.....is using the Tar River CONVENTIONAL 3 Point drill (no front slicing coulters) as a no-till drill in lighter soils. Good Youtube reviews on these units when used this way in sandy soils. (see the Back 40 on YouTube). This would be the lowest cost and lightest NEW 3 point drill discussed here.

After owning a Tar River SAYA 505 and now the GP 3P-500........I think I could get along with the Tar River 3 point Conventional drill for most everything. They don't have some of the refinementsof these other products.....but they are quite affordable and would work (in a fashion) much like the drill I own. .....though, I do feel the seed delivery and covering/packing system is superior on the other products.

Still......$10,000 is $10,000. About the price difference compared to the premium brands.

Kinda wish Mark from the The Back Forty would post a bit more on his experiences here. I know he lurks a bit. Nice guy.

Any Kansas guys theres some nice tractors on big iron about 25 south of Wichita,sale closes Sept 25 so that what you search by

He has sandy soils