All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AberStar-AberZest Perennial Ryegrass!

M

MoLandOwner

I have been getting a few out of state calls to get in some plot seed called AberZest and AberStar Perennial, High Sugar Ryegrass. Suppose to stand up to a lot of grazing pressure by deer. Have any of you guys used this in Food Plots before? Good-Bad?

Never used it as the results I've read about are mixed. Some guys love it some say it's usless.

If I was to ever try it I think I would add other seed to the mix, clover and brassica's like the BOB guys do.

http://sucraseed.com/sweet-spot/

Any way you look at it, it is still ryegrass and is still primarily cow food. Plant it next to a field of alfalfa, soys, or clover and you'll most likely have nothing but grasshoppers feeding in that grass. Besides any of that, I have seen many pieces of literature that say it may not survive winter in Zones 4 or below. I hope all your inquiries are from guys south of MN. Many of the US users are from places like WA or OR, where the climate is nowhere near as severe as we see in the upper midwest and it looks like they ship this seed "down under" as well, the Aussie's and Zealanders like it. The only thing I have seen on northern survival that looks promising is that the variety AberDart seems to be doing well in the UP of MI. I remember Lickcreek was pretty impressed with the stuff he planted down in IA, but I am skeptical on how well it would do much farther north than that, especially if we got extreme cold with little to no snow cover.

Any way you look at it, it is still ryegrass and is still primarily cow food. Plant it next to a field of alfalfa, soys, or clover and you'll most likely have nothing but grasshoppers feeding in that grass. Besides any of that, I have seen many pieces of literature that say it may not survive winter in Zones 4 or below. I hope all your inquiries are from guys south of MN. Many of the US users are from places like WA or OR, where the climate is nowhere near as severe as we see in the upper midwest and it looks like they ship this seed "down under" as well, the Aussie's and Zealanders like it. The only thing I have seen on northern survival that looks promising is that the variety AberDart seems to be doing well in the UP of MI. I remember Lickcreek was pretty impressed with the stuff he planted down in IA, but I am skeptical on how well it would do much farther north than that, especially if we got extreme cold with little to no snow cover.

Yep. below Iowa!

I have read of a few instances of MO guys that have good luck with the Sucraseed BOB mixes that they have planted for cattle and they also say they see plenty of deer in those paddocks as well. Who knows if they are eating the grasses or the clovers, alfalfas, and other plants in those mixes, but if the deer are in them, then they should work for plots as well. I did a bit more looking today and it appears the AberDart variety has some good qualities other than the 3 year cold tolerance study in the UP, and I don't see where they are really using it in any of their mixes?

Talked with Paul about the sucre seed stuff for use on heavily shaded wheeler roads. Not so much as draw per se but not completely wasted space either. He seemed to think it would work ok in that situation. We never did plant it though.

I'm not sure about these particular varieties, but perennial ryegrasses are fairly shade tolerant as a whole. SO I think that the trail planting might have some merit. On another note, I actually did find where they are using the AberDart variety, they are using it in the Silage mixes, which I didn't really look into the first time.

Tried it last year and can't say it provided a lot of attraction. Died over winter in western wi.

This is what I was afraid of in Zones 4 or lower. Well, that and the fact that it is still just a variety of ryegrass, as I said earlier. What mix did you plant? Northern Zone Sweet Spot?

Yup that is the exact stuff

I got a little of the plot sweetener on the way and will make my own mix from there. I'm going to basically treat is as a one and done planting.

I am thinking of getting a bag is sucraseed pasture sweetner to try in a few spots.