A new arrival

KDdid

5 year old buck +
This plant (shrub?) just popped up this spring at the edge of my field. I noticed the white flowers today, and grabbed a couple of pictures.
810d90fde7fa0c23005f5f054cb99e4a.jpg
8d9f65df725119e9092a6aa50d56f8c4.jpg
a59dccf62ac3e2adcd33a97a7a1a2118.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Arrowwood?

I was thinking maybe a viburnum of some type, but the leaves don’t look right. I did throw some highbush cranberry seed along that edge early this spring, though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pretty interesting if it can be grown by black walnuts as the link says.
A licorice tasting roots might be alright in a Mead or cider. Jager cider anyone?

Last edited:
Once again, I’m amazed by Native’s knowledge! Thanks for the help, I found about a dozen more of these plants across the farm from the one I posted. I’m going to start a list of the different wildflowers that pop up this year-seems like I learn new ones each season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once again, I’m amazed by Native’s knowledge! Thanks for the help, I found about a dozen more of these plants across the farm from the one I posted. I’m going to start a list of the different wildflowers that pop up this year-seems like I learn new ones each season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have learned a lot from Native as well (he is a wonderful resource to us all)....and yes, you will discover new ones all the time...if you look. Before I got into habitat work, I just never really looked to be honest. Spring is a great time because most plants will flower and reveal their presence that way vs the sea of green. I figure if Native doesn't know...I probably don't need to know either!

I have learned a lot from Native as well (he is a wonderful resource to us all)....and yes, you will discover new ones all the time...if you look. Before I got into habitat work, I just never really looked to be honest. Spring is a great time because most plants will flower and reveal their presence that way vs the sea of green. I figure if Native doesn't know...I probably don't need to know either!

My specialty is checking persimmon trees for ovaries if anyone needs help with that....

Last edited:
My specialty is checking persimmon trees for ovaries if anyone needs help with that....
When mine get big enough....I'll call you! I have 3 container trees that are supposed to be grafted female....but I have 10 from MDC (freshly planted) that will need some time to develop. How soon exactly can you tell????

When mine get big enough....I'll call you! I have 3 container trees that are supposed to be grafted female....but I have 10 from MDC (freshly planted) that will need some time to develop. How soon exactly can you tell????

It just depends on the individual tree. The grafted trees generally start flowering sooner than the seedlings. With some seedlings it could be more than 10 years. I’ve seen grafted trees with flowers in containers. Of course, you can always topwork any seedling to a known female before it ever reveals its sex.

Last edited:

Dont laugh

I downloaded those photos you posted of male and female flowers and carried them to the field for reference

Identified a few female flowers on trees planted Dec 2013

needless to say,Im thrilled

bill