A little TSI this weekend at J-bird's place

Back in college, a roommate and I would sit in the living room, pass a BB gun back and forth and shoot a can until we cut it in half. (Cardboard box with phone books behind the can to catch BBs).

Now I'm thinking ... get out a high-powered rifle, a lawn chair, a tripod, and lots of ammo. Cut that tree out of there! You could make a day of it!!

Of course, you don't really want to shoot up in the air like that, but it would be a lot of fun!

TMIL - I have done that before to remove a rotten limb back in my younger years. Made a mess but got the job done. Ammo is way too expensive for that and the tree in question is going to take more than a few rounds. I would need a 50BMG and to be honest I'm not up to having my butt kicked in the process. I'll figure it out. A guy at work wanted to climb up there - drill a large hole in it and blow it up! I don't understand some people!

You may have to cut that tree out of that crotch from above, scary proposition for sure. It doesn't sound like this is in an area that you can reach with any type of "cherry picker" or boom truck, so your options are very limited and mostly dangerous. Strap yourself into the walnut above the hangup, clear everything out of the "crash zone", and cut down right at the pivot point and let the weight of the tree finish the "cut". I have seen this work before, but never that high up and the "hanger" was touching the ground not 6' in the air.

Oh if that tree is hanging, stay away with the tractor. I'd personally leave it
Sap goes up and down depending on temp. I've seen it on maples on warmer years. It is likely common by you being futrther south.
yep....if you have the freezing nights and thawing days you see sap running in maples....further south its more common through the winter months from what i've heard. give it a taste and see how sweet it its.

I'd put a couple deep cuts in that walnut and walk away. Let the wind take it down. Not worth the time/effort to save a single tree for $$$ or hanging a stand, let alone risking your life to do so.

A hi-lift jack and a ground anchor will get that out. It'll be slow until you unhook the crotch, but she'll go without dropping the walnut.

Do you have any tree climber friends? That's a really easy problem to fix with the right gear and some experience (not a good situation for a first-timer). Even if it costs a couple bucks, it's either that or the walnut, right?

Nope - We had a good wind yesterday and haven't checked to see if it has helped. I might be able to screw with it this coming weekend.