All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9/11 Where Were You?

M

MoBuckChaser

9/11 is coming up, where were you when it happened? I will never forget that I was working on my combine in front of the shop that morning.

Junior year history class new it was a huge deal when they let us watch it unfold all day. Also had to get gas that day, think it was 6 dollars a gallon by the time i left school.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Working in a factory. Had gone to the cafeteria where a few folks were looking up at a TV with a building burning. It was after the first plane had crashed, and I didn't have time for more than a glimpse so just kind of went with my hunch that the IDS tower was on fire and went back to work. Short while later got the news from a co-worker of the second plane hitting. Rest of the day was a mess.

I was in a job interview that was interrupted by the 1st attack. Everyone looked confused but said ... just a stray plane.

Then I literally watched the 2nd attack on the 2nd tower. I watched on live TV as the 2nd plane flew into the 2nd world trade tower. I like the rest of humanity watched as a commercial airliner fly into the 2nd tower. To say that all of us were stunned would not even come close to what everyone experienced.

To make a long story short, I was hired after the interview. 10 days later I flew into New jersey for business. We had to circle the twin towers site because of airspace issues.

When I got to my hotel room, I was right across the river from the twin towers ... watching the smoldering site continue to burn everynight when I got back to my room. My brother was on business in California the day of the attack and could not get back to Chicago for 7 days.

When I flew out later that week, the airport was crowded with fully armed combat troops, I mean full, no bullshit, no prisoners dudes & dudettes. When I walked up to the security gate, there was probably 1500 people in line. Soldiers walking up and down that line eyeing everyone up as they were a suspect. Took me 2.5 hours to get through that security checkpoint which was normally a 15 minute time period.

The world had changed at that moment and I understood that ... we need to remember what freedom costs this country and the world, and understand innocent people were killed for no other reason than living their lives in a free world. To often people view the world of politics as a competition, us versus them, I learned that the only way free political discourse can exist is when there is a guarantee of freedoms ...

Last edited:
Sitting in my office reviewing some paperwork.

Like Tree Spud I also watched the 2nd plane hit the building on live TV. I was laying in bed watching the news people report on the first plane and discuss whether this was simply an accident or not. The 2nd plane struck and it took a few seconds for the news station to realize what had just happened before they even mentioned it. I went from being in a sleepy daze to wide awake in a hurry!

One year later to the date my now wife and I flew from Arizona back to Chicago. The airport was empty. We got pins from the airline for flying on that day. I really wish I knew where those pins are today.

Just landed in Mpls , Mn on way home from Germany driving down I -94 when came on radio.
With in 4 hours the buildings had fallen.
I found out 2 days later my cousin a native of Chippewa countywas killed in Pentagon leaving behind her husband and 2 sons.

My passport is stamped 9-11-2001for re entry.

Later that day I realized any single individual can cause serious damage . All kinds of knowledge is so available via Internet related to explosives terror etc. Just look at what happened in Oklahoma City. Glad I grew up when I did the future looks scary with regards to Terror an Idiots.

Sitting in a production meeting reviewing promised ship dates and the status of those orders. Like others we missed the first plane. But we pretty much shut the plant down and everyone (110 people) were in the cafeteria watching the second plane live.

I had sales people trapped all over the country because the airlines where shut down. Worst case was 2 guys in Washington state that ended up driving to the east coast to get home.

Sad day! But 9/12 was a proud day! America woke up pissed and proud!
Too bad we somehow lost that and can't even name the rat bastards that hit us.

As a mod I'm going to end my rant there :).

God Bless America!

Junior in high school. They had us all down in the cafeteria watching on a big screen. Never forget when that second plane hit. My football coach was retired military. A black hawk copter pilot with several tours under his belt. He was fired up and ready to reenlist. Crazy how some memories just stick with you

Junior year history class new it was a huge deal when they let us watch it unfold all day.

I was teaching my high school Biology class and, despite being told by our administration to turn off our TV's, I quietly shut my door and let my students witness the events on TV. Watched the 2nd plane hit with my students. Important lessons that day.

Last edited:
I had got in from working the night shift and was in bed when the first plane hit.
My wife woke and told me what was going on so I got up and saw the second plane hit and the buildings fall.

I was working at the Syracuse Airport. We watched the coverage after the first plane hit on a TV in the terminal. The airlines were very hectic trying to get info on who's plane it was, was it even a commercial plane? That lead to everyone watching live as the second plane hit. To say historia hit after that would be an understatement. They started landing planes as fast as they could. A normally quiet airport was packed with people that had landed in shock and had no way of getting home. We also housed fighter jets at that time. They were a cool annoyance pre 9/11. They were so loud when they took off. You only noticed them once in awhile when they would take off while you were outside. They had just become part of the landscape. Well after that second plane hit and for months after, those fighter jets were on constant patrol. It became an emotional event every time they took off. 9/12 the soldiers showed up. A blockade was set up a mile from the airport. I had to drive through it everyday. They were also in the terminal, machine guns, dogs, patrolling in pairs. I got to know some of them, they had such pride wearing that uniform. They wanted on the first plane to Middle East. They didn't know who they were going to fight yet but they wanted in. The airport remained a ghost town for weeks if not months. Eventually the soldiers were replaced by police and things went back to as normal as they will ever be. In the last few years we lost our fighter jets, replaced by a drone station. I miss those annoying planes. Every time they would take off I would get the chills and the feeling they will make things right. Hard to believe it has been 15 years

I was home that morning and also saw the second plane as it flew into the second tower on live T.V. The T.V. anchors didn't react immediately as it happened, it took a few seconds for them to realize what had just happened to the second tower.

Having worked in big construction all my life, I knew the steel couldn't take all the heat from those jet fuel fires and not buckle. I figured structural loads would make the tops of the buildings fall off. I didn't think both whole buildings would collapse down floor to floor all the way down. I had been in those towers back in 1976 and the base columns were HUGE.

I think all of the U.S. was watching T.V. that day. I don't know how you could look away after it started.

I was in auto body class. I remember my teacher was a very good Christian man that some of the students thought was weird just because of how open he was about his religion. I think he gained alot of respect that day. The students were instructed to be on lock down, and we watched t.v. as everything unwound. I could see him in his office praying.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Freshman year of college. Just got back from the caf...turned the tv on and the first plane had just hit. Saw the second one hit on live TV.

I was working as a plant manager for a factory in Lubbock, TX at the time and i was in a senior staff meeting when the first plane hit. Someone interrupted the meeting to tell us about the freak crash and we went to a break room where we watched the hit on the second tower and instantly realized the hits were intentional attacks. As the towers burned, more and more employees convened in the break room until we all were watching as the towers fell.

After the towers fell and the pentagon was hit, we made the call to go back to work.

A M1A1 tank crewman in the USMC reserves, I was one year into the inactive portion of my commitment (not actively drilling but available for activation in time of need). My unit was based out of South Carolina and I called the unit that very evening to be sure they had my updated contact info. Can remember the Gunnery Sgt. I spoke with telling me it would take days, weeks, even possibly months before SHTF but that he appreciated I was eager to do my part. Fast forward to 2004 and one day I opened my mailbox to find my honorable discharge papers. Until that time my unit had not been called while 2 of our sister units had. One month after I received my discharge papers my unit got the call to relieve one of the sister units that had been activated earlier.

Last edited:
I was at work when news of the first plane came over the web. My coworkers and I scrambled a TV and watched the second plane hit. It was a surreal day at work. We continued our day but took numerous breaks to get updates on what was going on. Ironically I work in a building also called WTC. There was genuine concern, some shrugged it off. I like to consider myself a fairly prepared and observant person and I can honestly say I had concern. I called the school for my kids, I called my wife and then called my parents. I worked the entire day and was eager to get home that evening to my family. Many were not so fortunate....

I was in my office at my desk at work and one of the other engineers came in and said that there had been an airliner crash into the world trade center in NYC. She was pretty shaken up about it, and to be honest I figured it was either some internet BS or an actual accident. But that was NYC - not BFE where I live and work. I was not really concerned to be honest. Then the second plane hit and it became obvious this wasn't an accident. My wife called me and asked me what was going on (in far more colorful terms) and I told her that everything was fine and the last thing she needed to do was panic. She wanted to rush to the school and get the kids and the like and I told her NOT to do that. It would simply add to the stress of the situation. I finished the day at work and got home and we had a discussion with all the kids over the events as we knew them that evening at the dinner table. We didn't go out and stock up on rations or buy a boatload of ammo. We didn't start building the bunker either.

I was too young to understand when Elvis died (1977 - I was 3) or when Lennon was shot (1980 - I was 6). I wasn't even born yet when JFK was shot or the moon landing. I doubt I ever forget 9/11.

I was on an elk archery hunt in Alberta Canada. I didn't hear about it until dusk when we came back to camp. Made for an uneasy flight out of Calgary International airport a few days later. Several muslims on board. We had already made a plan if it went bad. Flew from Calgary to Dallas. Most nerve racking 4 hours of my life.

I was in 6th grade during a class. A teacher who was from New York originally came in and said a plane had crashed into the first tower. We turned the tv on to see the 2nd plane hitting the 2nd tower. I didn't know what was going on but the one teacher was shaken up pretty bad. My brother who was a freshman in high school was actually in a history class when it all happened. He said the next day his teacher apologized to them saying he should have turned the tv on and that this would be something you will remember where you were for the rest of your life.