80 w/cabin NE of Antigo

http://wolfriverrealty.com/listings/195651/near-sherry-road-bryant

I'm sure the deer density is not that high in this area but looks like a decent place considering the price. Put in a habitat plan and I bet you could kill some good deer.
Not a bad looking place at all, but I would make d*mn sure that the Langlade County "Access Permit" for the driveway easement was permanent and irrevocable and in writing! This is the crap they pulled in Juneau Co with my old man's place. It led to him having to sell it at a very reduced price due to only being able to access the 10 acres north of the creek via a half mile walk across county land because the County decided one day that they weren't going to let him drive across it any longer.

Not a bad looking place at all, but I would make d*mn sure that the Langlade County "Access Permit" for the driveway easement was permanent and irrevocable and in writing! This is the crap they pulled in Juneau Co with my old man's place. It led to him having to sell it at a very reduced price due to only being able to access the 10 acres north of the creek via a half mile walk across county land because the County decided one day that they weren't going to let him drive across it any longer.

Wow that is crazy. How can they even do that? How can they take access away from a property? I guess it wasn't a signed deal?

It was assumed by the original owner way back in the day because the County allowed it and he told all the buyers of the 3 properties he had up for sale that it was all good. Problem was my dad and the buyers of the other 2 parcels took his word for face value(I don't think he was trying to scam anyone, I think the really thought it would be ok forever) and all ended up getting burned in the end because there was nothing in the deeds stating anything to that affect. The creek is impassable to everything accept foot traffic and even then only in certain areas. Most places you would sink to your neck before you got half way across. Very few places are suitable for putting a bridge across and still maintaining the navigability of the waterway without going to huge expense to build raised platforms to set an even more expensive pedestrian bridge across, and then you would be risking having all that sink out of sight in most areas.

It was assumed by the original owner way back in the day because the County allowed it and he told all the buyers of the 3 properties he had up for sale that it was all good. Problem was my dad and the buyers of the other 2 parcels took his word for face value(I don't think he was trying to scam anyone, I think the really thought it would be ok forever) and all ended up getting burned in the end because there was nothing in the deeds stating anything to that affect. The creek is impassable to everything accept foot traffic and even then only in certain areas. Most places you would sink to your neck before you got half way across. Very few places are suitable for putting a bridge across and still maintaining the navigability of the waterway without going to huge expense to build raised platforms to set an even more expensive pedestrian bridge across, and then you would be risking having all that sink out of sight in most areas.

So it was county land (not state)? So the county had to know what they essentially were doing to your guy's property. And they still did it? For no reason other than to be a tough guy? That is cold blooded.

What ever happend to be treat others as you want to be treated? Always put yourself in the other guys shoes. Good grief.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup and the guy from the County Clerk's office was a total dbag about the whole situation. He's probably lucky my old man didn't ever catch him in the bar on a Saturday night.

They plowed up huge berms to block the access roads or they put cables and gates across to prevent any further public vehicle access. The old man even asked them if only the affected landowners could get common keys for the gates to prevent the general public from driving back there and they told him to pound sand. Pretty much ended our food plotting north of the creek, I wasn't about to hand carry everything across a half mile clear cut to put in food plots. It made it a b!tch to even maintain tree stands over there.

They plowed up huge berms to block the access roads or they put cables and gates across to prevent any further public vehicle access. The old man even asked them if only the affected landowners could get common keys for the gates to prevent the general public from driving back there and they told him to pound sand. Pretty much ended our food plotting north of the creek, I wasn't about to hand carry everything across a half mile clear cut to put in food plots. It made it a b!tch to even maintain tree stands over there.

So who owns it now? Was there a cabin or building there? Did you have electrical or any utilities?

Well the way things are going you could just buy a drone now and fly off your stuff over there.

So who owns it now? Was there a cabin or building there? Did you have electrical or any utilities?
Not on that side of the creek, their home and everything else was on the south side of the creek. The creek split their land in half. It still affected land values when you had to tell the prospective buyers that we could go take a look at the rest of the property, but we would have to walk a half mile back in from the road just to get back to it.

Not on that side of the creek, their home and everything else was on the south side of the creek. The creek split their land in half. It still affected land values when you had to tell the prospective buyers that we could go take a look at the rest of the property, but we would have to walk a half mile back in from the road just to get back to it.

Oh I see. Makes sense now.

I suppose a guy could have had access without crossing the county property if you would have purchased something amphibious like an Argo 6-wheeler(with a winch and long cable). No way were you getting a 4-wheeler across that creek bottom. All to many times we got stuck with my brothers Polaris 800 4x4 just 75' - 100' down into the bottoms and it was all of 200 yards of oxbows and muck to get across to the north side.

Moral of the story: Make sure all access easements are in writing and perpetual!

I think if you have had access to YOUR property via a trail or other roadway.....and then the government denied that access.....that you would be able to claim a right to your property via the established cartway (or some other term for access). I'd see a lawyer.

So I called about it because I just can't help myself. Guess what? No easement. The access is just on a county forest road. Hahahahah. Like one everyone can drive on to access the forest. I asked so what if the county closed that road. "Oh I don't think they would ever do that. Its been that way forever. "

So I called about it because I just can't help myself. Guess what? No easement. The access is just on a county forest road. Hahahahah. Like one everyone can drive on to access the forest. I asked so what if the county closed that road. "Oh I don't think they would ever do that. Its been that way forever. "

MAKE the seller provide you with a written easement.....or no deal.

MAKE the seller provide you with a written easement.....or no deal.

That is the only way a smart person would touch that land. In fact, I think its crazy to even build on it without the easement which they already did.

I think if you have had access to YOUR property via a trail or other roadway.....and then the government denied that access.....that you would be able to claim a right to your property via the established cartway (or some other term for access). I'd see a lawyer.
He did that, no basis. They said if they did it for him, they would have to allow it for everyone in the county that bordered County lands. Lawyer wouldn't touch it. Not in the Deed, not legal access.

I can tell you that I know someone who has heard that in the past, and it bit them in the @$$! Fully legal deeded access with perpetuity regardless of if the county were to sell the land or not or no deal!

I can tell you that I know someone who has heard that in the past, and it bit them in the @$$! Fully legal deeded access with perpetuity regardless of if the county were to sell the land or not or no deal!

Funny part about it is that it is only a county forest access road used for logging and hunters getting in and out of the forest. Which is one I could see them closing at some point if you got a new stiff working for the county. It is not a regular road. Its just a drivable trail. Ummmm yeah, thanks but no thanks.
I bet you would have a very difficult time getting the county to sell you a permanent easement. Why would they?

First of all they wouldn't or everyone and their brother would be looking for the same deal. Our access was the same as what you describe, but it doubled as a snowmobile trail in the winter. A few summers they had a bunch of high school kids back in there with bonfires having parties and leaving garbage all over the place, then BAM! Berms and gates with no more access. They even re-routed the snowmobile trail through the east end of the woods, instead of down the west end which is where our access had been for 20+ years.