6.5 creedmore?

You’re not wrong about the twist of the 270. Given the parameters of my hunting and my inability to shoot long distance it doesn’t matter to me. I’m glad there is more than one cartridge out there. It gives us all something to talk about and debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me too Kooch. I don’t understand the hatred of other cartridges. I have settled on mine (22lr, 223, 6.5prc, 30-06, 375 Ruger, 416 Ruger) but I’m always open to trying something new.

Me too Kooch. I don’t understand the hatred of other cartridges. I have settled on mine (22lr, 223, 6.5prc, 30-06, 375 Ruger, 416 Ruger) but I’m always open to trying something new.
When I was doing more shooting and reloading......I tried to keep my reloading inventory of bullets somewhat limited as you can get allot of money wrapped up in bullets / powder. I chose 22 caliber, 243/ 6mm caliber, 7 MM/ and some 30 caliber. I never had a need for bigger diameter rifle bullets. Also limited my pistol choices and bullets to 9mm and 38/357. I do own a few other calibers but would buy factory fodder for those.

I had a 270 win and it shot 130's well, but 150's would not group good. Factory rounds pretty music winchester, federal, hornady, and remington basic boxes. This was a 1982 remington 700. I believe gun manufacturers back then had limited barrel twist options due to machinery line limitations. I believe it was 1:14 twist. I've heard the same complaint from other people I know too, not just remington guns either. Probably a 1:12 or 1:10 would of been better for this round. I sold the gun years ago. It grouped 130's ok, like 2-3" groups at 200. I bought a 1980 remington 700 in 30-06 from the same person. That gun loved everything you fed it.

Next hunting rifle would very likely be ta Creedmore if I don't buy a winchester 1897 before they stop making them, if they even make them now.

I used to try to keep to 30 cal for huntng, 22 cal for small game, and 20ga for bird hunting. Only exceptions are a 450 marlin and my pile of traditional and newer muzzleloaders.

When I was doing more shooting and reloading......I tried to keep my reloading inventory of bullets somewhat limited as you can get allot of money wrapped up in bullets / powder. I chose 22 caliber, 243/ 6mm caliber, 7 MM/ and some 30 caliber. I never had a need for bigger diameter rifle bullets. Also limited my pistol choices and bullets to 9mm and 38/357. I do own a few other calibers but would buy factory fodder for those.
We sound similar. Only reason for larger calibers is I hunt Africa. All my pistols are 9mm except one 357 revolver I wear at farm.

I hear ya. I've got about enough 6mm bullets to shoot out my current barrel and the next barrel as well haha! I had 4 magnum rifles at the beginning of this year and If the 300wm and 7 SAUM i currently have listed would sell i'll be down to 1. 223, 6mm, and 6.5 would probably be fine for me in everything but my faithful 300 wsm isn't worth enough to bother selling and its just a useful rifle if I ever decide i want more power again.

Same here for rifle caliber choices. I have tried to limit myself to 6mm and .308, with .22 being a given, but I broke down and bought a 6.5 prc a year ago, which I just cannot get excited about.
But why do people hate on other cartridges? Well, it goes like this. I ordered a Bergara B-14 in 6.5 PRC over a year ago from a shop in St George, Utah called Dixie Gunworx, not to be confused with Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee. (I think the guy was/is trying to make money off someone else's name) He claimed to be a "gunsmith" but was very tacticool heavy. I discovered them because a shooter I know had me drop a browning A-bolt off for a new barrel. The browning had a bad chamber from the factory, and beware of rocky mountain elk gun giveaways. Anyhow, the browning sat there for several months and I went in and ordered the B-14. After a long wait I finally got the B-14. The shop owner wasn't there when I picked it up and his employee told me "ah yes, he ordered two of those." The comment struck me as odd, and I think the guy was trying to tell me something and he quit shortly after. When I got home I scoped the bore of the new rifle and found it was copper fouled. Talked to Bergara and they are certain it did not leave their shop in that condition. I am fairly certain the shop owner delayed the sell so he could take both guns to the range and decide which one he wanted. Not wanting to deal with them anymore, I walked in to the shop and told the kid now working "that's my gun, I will be taking it with me." The kid did not blink an eye, or bother to verify anything and handed me the gun. I asked the kid if they even had a lathe, and he had no idea what a lathe was and I walked out. When the owner called me, I told he has no business claiming to be a gunsmith. It was at that moment I decided *&^! it, and bought my own lathe and it came with a gunsmith and lifelong friend.

So that's the main reason I don't like the 6.5 prc, and because of similar people claiming that the 6.5 caliber has magical powers and defies physics.
Does that make sense? If you want to make someone who is thrilled about their 6.5 PRC squint and scratch their head, tell them the 6.5-06 Baer is better.

Now, since store bought ammo means nothing to me, and barrels cost $50-$500 the skies the limit. The next cartridge on my list is going to be 6mm PPC, and......
6.5-06 Baer?
7x57AI?
30-284 Win?
7.62x54R?
6mm Donaldson?

Same here for rifle caliber choices. I have tried to limit myself to 6mm and .308, with .22 being a given, but I broke down and bought a 6.5 prc a year ago, which I just cannot get excited about.
But why do people hate on other cartridges? Well, it goes like this. I ordered a Bergara B-14 in 6.5 PRC over a year ago from a shop in St George, Utah called Dixie Gunworx, not to be confused with Dixie Gun Works in Tennessee. (I think the guy was/is trying to make money off someone else's name) He claimed to be a "gunsmith" but was very tacticool heavy. I discovered them because a shooter I know had me drop a browning A-bolt off for a new barrel. The browning had a bad chamber from the factory, and beware of rocky mountain elk gun giveaways. Anyhow, the browning sat there for several months and I went in and ordered the B-14. After a long wait I finally got the B-14. The shop owner wasn't there when I picked it up and his employee told me "ah yes, he ordered two of those." The comment struck me as odd, and I think the guy was trying to tell me something and he quit shortly after. When I got home I scoped the bore of the new rifle and found it was copper fouled. Talked to Bergara and they are certain it did not leave their shop in that condition. I am fairly certain the shop owner delayed the sell so he could take both guns to the range and decide which one he wanted. Not wanting to deal with them anymore, I walked in to the shop and told the kid now working "that's my gun, I will be taking it with me." The kid did not blink an eye, or bother to verify anything and handed me the gun. I asked the kid if they even had a lathe, and he had no idea what a lathe was and I walked out. When the owner called me, I told he has no business claiming to be a gunsmith. It was at that moment I decided *&^! it, and bought my own lathe and it came with a gunsmith and lifelong friend.

So that's the main reason I don't like the 6.5 prc, and because of similar people claiming that the 6.5 caliber has magical powers and defies physics.
Does that make sense? If you want to make someone who is thrilled about their 6.5 PRC squint and scratch their head, tell them the 6.5-06 Baer is better.

Now, since store bought ammo means nothing to me, and barrels cost $50-$500 the skies the limit. The next cartridge on my list is going to be 6mm PPC, and......
6.5-06 Baer?
7x57AI?
30-284 Win?
7.62x54R?
6mm Donaldson?

Getting your own lathe sounds like a trip!

6BRA, 6-6.5 PRC, 25-6.5 PRC, 22 ARC, 22 BR, 22GT all capture my interest. 6 BRA is about the only one that might be in my near future.

In my business......I had a couple of precision lathes and a milling machine....among other toys. Not sure how I have been able to live without a lathe all these years since selling my biz. I used to make more gadgets and fix lots of stuff via that shop I had. A lathe was really nice for turning case necks when I shot some benchers and prairie dog loads. I've still got the 6 PPPC Benchrest rifle that I would like to find a home for. I'm done with competitive shooting. Also have a Ruger 77 VT with a 22 PPC barrel which is a rare piece. Shoots like a house afire.

The wildcats, fitted necks, and custom chamber (ackley) guns are not for everyone......lots of work involved in those guns. Can be a labor of love....or a curse.....depending on how you see things.

At one time I loved to play the accuracy game.....now I am satisfied with minute of deer. Grin.

EDIT: If someone here is looking for a bonfide Bench Rest Rifle......I could have a real deal for you. Stole Panda action, switch barrel affair. .261" fitted neck, 6PPC Broughton and Hart barrels. Weight System for Light Varmint and Heavy Varmint. Luepold 36x Silver BR Scope, Jewel 2 oz trigger, Jewel Rings, McMillan Stock, All the tools and reloading gear to service the gun...and more. Gun has shot in the "0's". Can be competitive on a national basis right now.

Getting your own lathe sounds like a trip!

6BRA, 6-6.5 PRC, 25-6.5 PRC, 22 ARC, 22 BR, 22GT all capture my interest. 6 BRA is about the only one that might be in my near future.
I have been torn between the 6br and ppc, but will be going ppc simply because of reamer availability and modifying a bolt isn't a big deal. I really should have gone that route with my first barrel job, but stuck to what I know; .243w.

My first barrel I did from a straight blank, just for the experience. And well, paying the extra $35 for a profiled blank is well worth it. I am happy with it so far. I have gotten honest complements on the chatter marks, which I left because I don't care enough.
IMG_20240110_170213.jpgIMG_20240121_150752.jpgIMG_20240121_150735.jpgIMG_20240122_100048.jpgIMG_20240129_161618.jpg

I was just getting into a fine tune, when I woke up with a fever and decided to load 20 rounds to test seating depth. I typed in 51.5 on the powder and loaded, went to the range, and soon discovered that 51.5 is not 41.5. oops, proof tested at 20% over charge.IMG_20240218_103202.jpg

In my business......I had a couple of precision lathes and a milling machine....among other toys. Not sure how I have been able to live without a lathe all these years since selling my biz. I used to make more gadgets and fix lots of stuff via that shop I had. A lathe was really nice for turning case necks when I shot some benchers and prairie dog loads. I've still got the 6 PPPC Benchrest rifle that I would like to find a home for. I'm done with competitive shooting. Also have a Ruger 77 VT with a 22 PPC barrel which is a rare piece. Shoots like a house afire.

The wildcats, fitted necks, and custom chamber (ackley) guns are not for everyone......lots of work involved in those guns. Can be a labor of love....or a curse.....depending on how you see things.

At one time I loved to play the accuracy game.....now I am satisfied with minute of deer. Grin.

EDIT: If someone here is looking for a bonfide Bench Rest Rifle......I could have a real deal for you. Stole Panda action, switch barrel affair. .261" fitted neck, 6PPC Broughton and Hart barrels. Weight System for Light Varmint and Heavy Varmint. Luepold 36x Silver BR Scope, Jewel 2 oz trigger, Jewel Rings, McMillan Stock, All the tools and reloading gear to service the gun...and more. Gun has shot in the "0's". Can be competitive on a national basis right now.
That sounds like the rifle I have been dreaming of for years and could never afford/justify.
I like the accuracy and precision game, but I am not in to competition. I tried it and did well, but personality conflicts with big egos proved to be something I rather avoid.
I enjoy shooting the most when I am alone.

I have been torn between the 6br and ppc, but will be going ppc simply because of reamer availability and modifying a bolt isn't a big deal. I really should have gone that route with my first barrel job, but stuck to what I know; .243w.

My first barrel I did from a straight blank, just for the experience. And well, paying the extra $35 for a profiled blank is well worth it. I am happy with it so far. I have gotten honest complements on the chatter marks, which I left because I don't care enough.
View attachment 62699View attachment 62700View attachment 62701View attachment 62702View attachment 62703

I was just getting into a fine tune, when I woke up with a fever and decided to load 20 rounds to test seating depth. I typed in 51.5 on the powder and loaded, went to the range, and soon discovered that 51.5 is not 41.5. oops, proof tested at 20% over charge.View attachment 62704
I hope you checked the headspace before you shot that rifle again.

I hope you checked the headspace before you shot that rifle again.
It's still on the work bench. Headspace checks out, no change. I will be doing a complete tear down anyhow, i need to reclock the barrel since I got it upside-down the first time, and I think I will give it a little more freebore.
I wished I would have had the chrono setup, that may have been the fastest 105g 6mm ever, or the slowest...
That's why I love guns, there is no shortage of things for me to do wrong.

I’ve been pretty happy with the terminal performance of 6.5 Creedmoor on the few animals I’ve taken with it so far but I’ve mostly hunted with .223’s since the mid 90’s and love them so I do think bullet placement out weighs all other variables in killing game.

Kids have the 6 5 creeds and do well with them on Northern Whitetail. Yours truly got to do load work ups on both guns. One gun prefers 130gr the other 140 gr bullets.

I just look at a new caliber as an excuse to buy a gun. 😉. I have favorites. If I see a deal on a 280AI or a 35 whelen, I wouldn't be able to pull my cash out quick enough. 😂

So I never bought the 6.5 creedmore. But I do have a 6.5 x 55 in a model 98 action. ( Small ring Husqvarna)

How does this cartridge compare?

So I never bought the 6.5 creedmore. But I do have a 6.5 x 55 in a model 98 action. ( Small ring Husqvarna)

6.5x55 case has a little more capacity than a creedmoor case. Loaded to similar pressures i'd expect in the neighborhood of 100 FPS faster velocity with the 6.5x55.

The thing with the x55 is that it has largely been limited to lower pressures in commercial ammunition and load manuals due to there being a lot of weaker mauser actions being chambered in it. SAAMI max pressure in 6.5 creedmoor is 62k PSI vs 52k PSI for the swede. There's nothing about the x55 case that makes it vulnerable to higher pressures if used in a action designed for them. I'm not educated on your specific action so don't know if it can be safely loaded to 60k+ PSI. At SAAMi max pressures the x55 will be a little slower than the creedmoor.

Almost identical in performance. The main reason I'm sold on the 6.5 Creed is that I've shot several Mausers in 6.5x55, and I've seen hunters take scores of red deer, reindeer, and moose in Scandinavia with it.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is basically an American version of the European 6.5x55. My guess is there were a few dudes in the US who needed to come up with a way to make a bunch of money on a cartridge that has already been kicking ass in Europe for 100 years before they popularized it stateside.

Almost identical in performance. The main reason I'm sold on the 6.5 Creed is that I've shot several Mausers in 6.5x55, and I've seen hunters take scores of red deer, reindeer, and moose in Scandinavia with it.

The 6.5 Creedmoor is basically an American version of the European 6.5x55. My guess is there were a few dudes in the US who needed to come up with a way to make a bunch of money on a cartridge that has already been kicking ass in Europe for 100 years before they popularized it stateside.

I don't see it that way. 6.5x55 is too long to optimally seat long bullets and fit in a short action. It has a lot of case taper and shallow angled shoulders which contribute to much faster case stretch which results in shorter brass life and more brass trimming to reuse cases. Most of all there's the SAAMI max pressure thing - ammo manufacturers don't want to load it to modern pressures and get sued when someone blows up their old mauser with it. Because the x55 case is bigger, it takes more powder to reach the same velocity, which equals more recoil for same velocity.

Basically it got created to compete or improve in some aspects on David Tubb's 6xc that was dominating across the course competition at the time but with less wildcatting headaches with inconsistent chamber specs, brass, load data, and better barrel life. The background story: