4th year white clover plot

Mike O

5 year old buck +
I have a four year old white clover plot behind the house a mix of Rennovation, Legacy and some Jumbo II. It seems not be as thick as in years past and I can see spots between individual plants of bare ground. Doesn't have that thick green canopy that was there in previous years. I am wondering if this plot has run its course? Had plenty of rain so thats not an issue.

Good time of year to terminate and rotate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I definitely wouldn’t terminate, overseed it with a mix of brassicas, clovers and cereal grain and keep right on feeding deer with no down time.

Never tried the throw and mow technique so gonna give that a try late summer.

If you did some brassica now....it may fill in those weak spots. Then mow weed tops and or clover tops after broadcasting. Later in summer do another throw and mow.
Never tried the throw and mow technique so gonna give that a try late summer.

The deer around here will not touch any kind of Brassica. Have grown the nicest looking rape and radish plots you have ever seen and they just rot in the spring.

The deer around here will not touch any kind of Brassica. Have grown the nicest looking rape and radish plots you have ever seen and they just rot in the spring.
There are other benefits to brassica's than just feeding deer. I would listen to Foggy.

My clover plots are pretty old but I'm able to keep them going by broadcasting brassica's and cereal rye. Brassica's about every other year and rye every year. I also mix in chicory and crimson clover.

Mike....not sure where you are located?? Do you have lots of farm fields around you to provide other preferred food sources for the deer? Decent browse?

I hear others that say the deer do not touch the brassica......but I have never witnessed this. Others say they need to learn to like the brassica....then you can't keep 'em off. Around here.....as soon as the radish leaves are available they get eaten.....same for rape.

My deer often prefer the clover to the brassica in late summer and early fall.....tho they always seem to eat radish. Later in fall, when we get some good freezing temps, the deer seem to prefer the brassica. The clover here is also diminishing by then......and here (northern MN) the deer go after the rye I planted in late August as well as brassica which is typically preferred. A choice of brassica, rye and clover is usually available in fall (if things go right) around my place (plus its good for your soil to have a grass, a legume and a brassica).

In winter the deer will dig thru two feet of snow to get at those radish and turnip bulbs....and even any greens that remain. Some winters my land can look like a minefield with the digging they do.

Sometimes in Spring you can smell the rotting brassica......and the deer still are eating some of it early. The balance becomes good fertilizer for the following crops.

Foggy47-I have read what your saying about Brassica time and time again but here in farm country they are just picky. They love soybeans and corn and if I had to guess thats why they will not touch the Brassica. I live in the Thumb of Michigan but I have some property in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Big Woods). Those deer up there will eat anything you plant that is green. I have planted Brassicas up there but have found that the easiest annual to grow is any cereal grains planted around labor day.

Foggy47-I have read what your saying about Brassica time and time again but here in farm country they are just picky. They love soybeans and corn and if I had to guess thats why they will not touch the Brassica. I live in the Thumb of Michigan but I have some property in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (Big Woods). Those deer up there will eat anything you plant that is green. I have planted Brassicas up there but have found that the easiest annual to grow is any cereal grains planted around labor day.
^ Explains allot. Thanks Mike. (BTW.....adding a location to your profile would be a big help to understanding your situation in a post like this.). No doubt farm country and corn and beans will "outdraw" brassica. In my world corn = bears and coons.

I have a four year old white clover plot behind the house a mix of Rennovation, Legacy and some Jumbo II. It seems not be as thick as in years past and I can see spots between individual plants of bare ground. Doesn't have that thick green canopy that was there in previous years. I am wondering if this plot has run its course? Had plenty of rain so thats not an issue.

I would spread some UREA (40% nitrogen) fertilizer before a rain then mow to around 6"-*8. In Feb/March do a frost seeding. If no improved results next spring, you can then terminate. Make sure you plant something to use all that banked nitrogen.

I am gonna mess around with Throw and Mow, probably some wheat and Austrian winter peas around labor day then replant with an annual next year before going back to clover (Very interested in Aberlasting).

I would spread some UREA (40% nitrogen) fertilizer before a rain then mow to around 6"-*8. In Feb/March do a frost seeding. If no improved results next spring, you can then terminate. Make sure you plant something to use all that banked nitrogen.
I dont understand why you would apply nitrogen to clover. Does not clover fix it's own N and provide it for the next crop(s)?

I dont understand why you would apply nitrogen to clover. Does not clover fix it's own N and provide it for the next crop(s)?

Yes, the UREA before a rain will give it a quick boost.