4 Wheeler for Food Plots

OK, $3000 for me .. because I have 2 .. just because they're fun!!! Haha!

I agree if I could only have one, it would be a tractor. I have a 650 John Deere Buck XT (Cam/Am, BRP) that I mount the seeder/spreader on the front and a 15 gal. boom sprayer on the back and it does a fantastic job. My little Kubota is so much handier for most chores. I have old skidder trails that dead end and the Kubota has such a tight turning radius that I just lift whatever implement I have on and can usually cut the wheel and head back. Once I can acquire a 3 point spreader and spray rig for the tractor, the Buck will be for sale. Great ATV, but the tractor rules for the kind of work I do.

I fully agree with the majority here
an ATV UTV will NEVER be a tractor, YES it can do things, but the amount of wear and tear your putting on it, isn't worth the added costs
a decent OLDER used tractor can be HAD CHEAP, older farm implements are HALF the price of ATV implements or better!

the way to go here is buy a good used tractor, a older IH model H< is nice, as is a FOrd 8N, the reason I suggest these is there heavy, they typically out weight MOST modern 4x4 tractors of twice the HP< they were MADE to WORK back then and LAST

I just sold a 1949 model H for a grand, ran flawless too!, never broke once in the 20 yrs I used it! too! just fluid changes and 2 battery's!

but there are more parts out there than you will ever need, for these models, and will continue to be, as there very popular even now!

one of these whole tractors in GOOD shape can be had for about 1,000-1500 bucks, , buy one,
and then add a simple ATV, say a 500 CC size and you will NOT have spent as much as a 800+ cc UTV will cost you!
then you have two tools over just one! for less $$

I got a Yamaha Grizzly 700 (2014) . I can't complain at all about it. I also have an 04 Artic Cat TBX 500 that is very reliable. It has a Suzuki motor, but it's still running good. I was never big on Suzuki but I can't say a bad thing about them.

I have both tractors and a atv. Like almost everybody else said I would get a older used tractor. I can't see putting my atv thru the abuse of doing foodplots. I use my for spraying and spreading seed and lime,the tractors do everything else. The tractors are made to do this work. They usually also hold there value, unlike a used atv. Example my father in law spent over $10000 on his atv and implements to do his foodplots. After about 5 years he smoked his motor and it cost $1500 to rebuild. It is worth maybe $1500 now. My tractor is a 1952, I paid $750 spent another $750 on it and has never let me down in 8 years. I could sell it for $1500 -$2000. It also works way faster than the ATV.

I think a lot of it depends on what process you take to do your plots. I got only about 1.5 acre for food plots and I have a $1200 Tuffline atv disk that I haven't used in two years. I don't know if I will ever use it again. I'm going with the throw n mow. I have a drag harrow, sprayer, quad, fertilizer spreader, lawn roller, and I broadcast my seed. A tractor would do me no good whatsoever. The tractor would help with the mowing and you obviously got to buy the attachment. If you plan on doing a lot of discing, then definitely go the tractor route. I'm against discing now.

If it were me an I needed food plot equipment on a budget I would buy a
Polaris 550ho or bigger quad (smoothest quads out there)
30gal sprayer with 2.2gpm pump
always spray at least 2wks in advance for making your life easier

For ATV tillage Before I had a tractor an disc I used a 6.5ft piece I-beam drag that I welded spikes onto. Bought the ibeam at local scrap yard for pennies. They still use this drag at my dads farm just down the road. I may have to get that back one of these days!

A tractor will last several lifetimes. An ATV/UTV not quite. The best part is you can get the tractor after the first lifetime and it still runs same as the first.

I think the OLD tractors will be around a LOT longer than the new stuff they make and sell
quality isn't like it once was
I see a lot of 1990's and such tractor and newer and there falling apart as to things built in the 40-50-60's
NOT that ALL older one's are good and lasting! many have been rust piles for decades, but many are still in GREAT shape for the yrs!

I just think yrs back they tried to make things, over built some what, and then company's would have a reputation for long lasting tractor's

now its about JUST lasting past the warranty and then getting you to buy another one!
making things last long isn't good for business! it seems!

I just think yrs back they tried to make things, over built some what, and then company's would have a reputation for long lasting tractor's

now its about JUST lasting past the warranty and then getting you to buy another one!
making things last long isn't good for business! it seems!
Maybe with other things I would agree but not tractors. they will last forever if taken care of. Maybe I'm just talking about the green ones. All that I have experience with. LOL.

I have been food plotting a couple small 1/2 acre plots for a couple years with a Honda Rancher 350. For the cost of a 850-1000cc atv or side by side you can pick up an old tractor with implements you need for less.